Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. daveww1

daveww1

2. daveww1

daveww1

3. daveww1

daveww1

4. daveww1

daveww1

5. daveww1

daveww1

6. easter

easter

Here's a few Minnesota State Fair photos from '67. The guys had to unload everything and take the haulers outside the track. This was the cleanest well manicured facility I ever saw. Somebody told me it's now a mall or block of condos. Unbelievable. My dad took these photos because I wasn't allowed near the pits. This is also the trip I got to touch The Spirit of America car (Craig Breedlove's salt flats car). It was only $1.00 to get into the tent and nobody was in in there. Are you kidding me? The sign said "Please do no touch." I was only 11 and couldn't read that well (whoops) - I touched the left rear tire. Oh yea.

[​IMG]

7. easter

easter

Jerry Reichert and Scratch Daniels.

[​IMG]

8. easter

easter

Dad's and Dean Mast's cars.

[​IMG]

9. easter

easter

10. easter

easter

I don't remember this car owners name. Maybe someone can help. Dad said this was the sweetest car he ever saw: very clean, detailed, padding around the steering box, etc., and this man my dad really respected and liked. He had asked Dad to drive for him a couple times, but Dad was already obligated. I remember one year in Allentown, IMCA asked a number of sprint car teams to stay behind a run a "demo" for the crowd on Stock Car day. IMCA traveled with sprints, midgets, and stock cars (remember the battles of Ernie Deere and Ramo Stott in those big Hemis?) and they ran on different days for about 2 weeks during the state fairs. Dad was asked to stay and run and this guy was asked as well, but his driver couldn't so he drove it himself. He and Dad ran together and had some great laughs afterwards. Dad said he did great. I do remember him really putting on a "slide show" in 3 and 4.

[​IMG]

11. easter

easter

Dad demonstrating the proper technique for downing a "Tall Boy" Busch in Tampa. Busch Gardens was close by, so Busch Beer was manditory. I was only 13 on this trip, but drank my share as well. Dad and Mom would go to the track on "off days", but I wasn't allowed to go because of $$. Nice. So, I stayed at the motel and stripped the car down, changed gears, tires, etc., cleaned everything and checked everything, and, of course, drank the old man's beer. I even huffed a couple of his R. G. Dunn cigars. Leave me home? Good thing I didn't have a friend with a push truck.

[​IMG]

12. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Easter, thanks for all the Tampa pics keep em' coming... they sure bring back a lot of good memories. Jim, my friend, never worry about writing too much; I enjoy reading the facts 'bout things I just thought I knew.
    Blessings,
    PK

13. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Ya I,m enjoying all your photos too easter. Keep em coming. Denny Z

14. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

No mall or condos, just no racing.

The track is still there and up to about five years ago was being used for large auto swap meets and probably other static activities. The surface is not in racing condition.

I believe the demise of the track was caused by the popularity and profitability of the stage shows that were being presented.

Originally there was sprint car racing all or 9 out of ten days that the fair ran. Later I believe the stock cars ran one day. Over time there came a reversal (and also the dirt was replaced by pavement) where the stage shows ran most of the days (nights) and there was one day of stock car racing.

Finally they built some permanent stage structure in front of the grandstand that encroached on the track.

End of Racing.

15. easter

easter

What a waste of a great facility. I'd much rather watch Karl Busson than Britney Spears anyday. Thanks for the info, though. Did you used to go to the IMCA races there?

16. easter

easter

Bobbie Adamson's car at Tampa. In the top left corner of the photo you can just see the back gate on the backstretch. I remember one year those gates opened up and a huge STP semi came in with Andy G walking in front of it. He would stop and ask if you would put an STP decal on your car. If you did, you got tons of goodies: fender protectors for your family car, pajamas, wind breakers, decals, patches, and a boat load of STP. I had an STP wind breaker for years.

[​IMG]

17. easter

easter

Kenny Weld's car in Tampa.

[​IMG]

18. easter

easter

After the features in Tampa, Dad would put a cooler on a hand truck and have me take some beer around to different drivers and tell them it was from Luke. But, he also mentioned one or two guys not to give them to, but to make sure they saw and heard me at the car next to them. I imagine you guys could guess who some of the "no beer guys" were.

19. Ted Kempgens

Ted Kempgens
    from Florida

Easter, Thanks for the Tampa pictures, Sure brings back alot of memories. The blue chevy push truck in the back ground of the picture in post 13477 is my Dad's. There was a group of us kids that went to every race in the infield, We must have crossed paths. Ted

20. csiki22

csiki22

[​IMG]Whos this guy??

21. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

Ron: The TQ in the photo was a Trevis car. I don't remember who I was driving for the night you did your low altitiude aerobatics!

22. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Oh yes. In '52 had some involvement with a local 4 port Riley we were trying to qualify. The car was totally outclassed and a real dog. They took 30 cars if I remember correctly and depending on how many cars showed up, sometimes you could stand by as an alternate and make a few bucks and be in the pits all week for free.

I seem to remember some terrific Hurtibise/Parnelli action on that track and then it got paved in '64 I think.

23. cg5

cg5

Easter
    That's Bill Hoback he was from Clacomo Mo(Kansas City) and the car was built by Willie Davis for Greg Weld. here's Greg in it.
    Curt Grogan

Attached Files:

24. easter

easter

That's great! If you look at post #13493, there's a truck at the motel that looks a lot like your dad's. It belonged to Gene Davis who owned the #8 car Dad drove for 1 year. Your dad's pickup is in a number of my photos and my dad and I commented on it several times. I always used to go down towards turn #1 and wait for the start. You could hear the engines rev up and echo through the grandstand. When they got to turn #1 you could see their eyes really wide open. Opp and Reichert up against the wall and some guys almost rubbing the inside rail. We probably did see each other. February meant Florida. Florida meant warm weather, the Kapok? Kapot? Tree Inn in Clearwater, the old Fairgrounds in Tampa, Sunshine Speedway in St. Pete, and the Gasperilla (again sp?) celebration in Tampa. It was like the rest of the country was asleep in the snow and we were in Heaven racing. All of the cars were so clean from the time off. Some were new. Some had new drivers. Some back markers were now running up front and vice versa. Hell, I thought we were rich.

25. easter

easter

Thank you Curt for the info. Did you know Bill Hoback? My dad said his main regret was not taking the offer from Bill to drive his car. My dad always spoke of Bill with great respect. Thanks again. Bob Easter

26. easter

easter

It was paved when I was there. I remember guys being alternates at The Little 500. They would suit up and be in their car with a push truck behind them and if somebody dropped out before the start, or just couldn't make the start, the alternate was pushed off and made the race. I can't imagine the stress of sitting there like that. St. Paul must have been something when it was dirt: long sweeping turns, wide straights, great seating. I've been to so many beautiful dirt tracks and you still see them on TV: well manicured, lush grass infields, beatiful dark dirt all moist and perfect, well painted buildings in the infield, not a speck of trash anywhere.........and they run horses on them! Horses! Animals are fine in a field. Sprint cars are meant for race tracks, not horses. I mentioned earlier about a waste of beautiful facilities. Well, it goes on. Couldn't you just see 24 open cockpit sprints cars with all of our heros in them coming down the main straight for the green - at Churchill Downs? Makes sense to me.

27. TommyA19

TommyA19

28. easter

easter

Buzz Rose in Tampa. I later saw him flip this car coming off of #4 at Topeka, cleared the fence and landed in the area between the grandstand and fence. I've corresponded with him and he said he was seriously hurt in that wreck - broken back, etc. This is one of the prettiest cars I ever saw. Buzz was and still is, a nice guy.

[​IMG]

29. easter

easter

Buzz Rose and others - IMCA at Tampa.

[​IMG]

30. Hey Tommy, Thanks for that link. Very nice job of some great history !