Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemi 241 chamber and valves/guides in CAD format?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Feb 3, 2011.

1. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I'm starting on a project, and I'm looking for information.

Does anyone here have a Hemi 241 chamber and valves/guides on a CAD file? <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  2. 73RR

73RR

No, I don't have any head related info on file...but then I am not sure of exactly what you are asking.

3. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I'm looking to make a set of heads. I was hoping someone would have the combustion chamber design, with valve placemant/angles, etc. on a CAD file.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Sometimes I just love watching where these threads go.

5. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Rich, sometimes I just can't help myself!:eek:

6. 73RR

73RR

You might have to resort to the 'old fashioned' way...

[​IMG]

7. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Haha!

I'm going to do that too! I have an ad in the classifieds looking for one.

A cad file would hurry things along though!:D

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

73RR; Where is the rest of that head? Wanna sell it?

9. 73RR

73RR

I cut this 392 head about 25 years ago, long before they became popular, again..... I wanted to educate myself so I cut this and a 331 so I could have a 'look-see'.
    Some folks actually throw away a damaged head...:eek: If I find a suitable candidate I'll let you know.

Gary

10. jtille

jtille

Me too you never know what kind of cool stuff you might see or learn!!

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I have a couple cracked 241 270 heads that could be donated for cost of shipping!

12. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

PM sent! I'll take them!

That's real cool- THANK YOU very much!:cool:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Shipping will be $585.87 from 98847!

Just kidding, if your serious PM me with shipping addy, etc. so I can get em ready! They are bare, no valves, no rockers............................

14. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

What a deal!:D

Can anyone helpwith a CAD file?

15. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

I might be able to help you on that actually flattie, a couple of weeks ago some people came in to our foundry to demo a 3D scanner to us. The company was called Exact Metrology, they are a company that does nothing but scan parts all day, thats all they do. http://www.exactmetrology.com/

They are located out of Cincinnati but where telling me if we ever need a part scanned cause we don't have the time to draw it to send it to them and they would scan it and send back a CAD file in any format we needed. I believe their hourly rate was some where around $100 (took them around 20min to scan our part that had decent complexity, heads would probably still be under an hour) but i think their minimum to do any work is $400.

So if your willing to spend the money it will save you a ridiculous amount of time reversing and drawing, but a scanned part is much different than a drawing and can take a lot of work to actually be able to have it editable in a CAD software, what CAD program do you use?

16. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Garen, I don't do or know CAD. I have a couple of friends that use SolidWorks.

That would be a quick and accurate way to get the chamber itself, but it would not give me the valve angle through the head.

...but, I got to start somewhere, right?:D

I wonder, if I sent a complete chamber, and one that is cut in half at the valves,similar to the pic posted by f3RR, if they would be able to take the two scans, and add the valve angle info to the complete chamber?

17. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

yes, they can actually give you a completely editable file in CAD, with radius', chamfers, fillets, surfaces, helix's, splines, anything, it just depends on how much you want to pay. Its not as simple as wave the magic wand and it appears on screen ready for your bidding :).

How it works is they would take your part, sit it on the table and scan everything they can on it, then flip and rotate how ever they need it to be able to scan the rest. Then they import those two scans into this really cool program they have thats lots of money and combine the scans together and that creates the finished surface.

That alone would be considered just a scan though, the file you would receive from that is not editable at all, its just one solid surface, since you don't work with CAD its kind of hard to explain but your friends would understand, i work with SolidWorks too.
    I believe you can still take points off it for measurements but it would be difficult for something like the valve angle because the object will actually be made out of about a couple hundred thousand polygons, not radius', flat surfaces or any defined couture.

But, your still in luck, their software is capable of taking those hundred thousand polygons and turning them into editable features to be imported into solidworks and then be able measure everything you need, including valve angle.

18. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

yes, they can actually give you a completely editable file in CAD, with radius', chamfers, fillets, surfaces, helix's, splines, anything, it just depends on how much you want to pay. Its not as simple as wave the magic wand and it appears on screen ready for your bidding :).

How it works is they would take your part, sit it on the table and scan everything they can on it, then flip and rotate how ever they need it to be able to scan the rest. Then they import those two scans into this really cool program they have thats lots of money and combine the scans together and that creates the finished surface.

That alone would be considered just a scan though, the file you would receive from that is not editable at all, its just one solid surface, since you don't work with CAD its kind of hard to explain but your friends would understand, i work with SolidWorks too.
    I believe you can still take points off it for measurements but it would be difficult for something like the valve angle because the object will actually be made out of about a couple hundred thousand polygons, not radius', flat surfaces or any defined couture.

But, your still in luck, their software is capable of taking those hundred thousand polygons and turning them into editable features to be imported into solidworks and then be able measure everything you need, including valve angle.

19. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks Garen!

I know exactly what you are talking about! When I wanted to make custom heads for the FlatCad Racing car, I did this with a set of flatheads. We then designed it as a two-piece head.

I used Advanced Coordinate Technology, in Denver, because they are close to me. I went down and set through the process, so that I could answer any questions they had. I was hoping someone already had a chamber in a CAD file, but it appears that I will have to do this again!

Oh, and I sent you a PM.

Attached Files:

20. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

the more... workable you want to file the more it is going to cost, because they will have to have someone sit there and select each couture, radius, and surface and turn it into a workable feature. The only problem you will have is the oil galleys and water jackets, you can probably just offset surfaces in solidworks and cut extrude them though.

21. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

No problem. I made an appointment with Advanced Coordinate Technology.
    Having worked with them before, it should not be to bad!

In the mean time, maybe someone will pop up that already has the file!:D

22. pdq67

pdq67

May I add that Toyota copied the 241 hemi almost to the casting flash so maybe you might get lucky??

pdq67

23. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks!

Do you know if any of then had a 3.3"-3.5" bore, and what head/engine I should research, specifically?

24. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Anyone have ANY chamber design in a CAD file?

25. wow....the 69-75 Toyota Corola's had I think the " 20R " motors that were Hemi head - correct me if I'm wrong.....

26. gonejunking

gonejunking
    from NW USA

You want the 2tc Toyota head.
    20R is a sohc engine

27. budd

budd

what if you used the GM vortec intake runner design on a hemi head?

28. T__N__A

T__N__A

Here is a little something I have been working on. There is still a lot of detail work that needs to be finished. Its a cross between a hemi/ardun head and I'm designing it to fit a Model A four banger. I'm thinking it will be a two-piece head like 38flatie has shown earlier.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      274.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      318.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      359.8 KB
      Views:
  29. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Your Ardun/Hemi head is exactly what I have in mind! Nice work!

How do the model A pushrods come through? I'm assuming it's similar to the Cadillac flathead, where they come through side by side?

30. T__N__A

T__N__A

the model A push rods are just like the Caddy flathead (both intake and exhaust are on the same side) and they come straight thu parallel with the cylinder walls. And this is where I run into a little problem, on an ardun or hemi head the pushrods are at a slight angle and come thru towards the center of the heads in between the two rocker shafts. I'm not sure if the Model A block would have to be modified to use the angled pushrods. Here is an ardun head, not sure what all is done to put these heads on flathead v8s.

Attached Files: