Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the Market for a 1930 Marquette?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Feb 8, 2011.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Found this little 1930 Marquette, pretty complete and sound. Resembles a Chevy. Missing the front and rear bumpers. Kinda a hard one to figure out don't think I could live with it stock and maybe to nice & rare? to hot rod out? Have to make up my mind by tomorrow. He's asking 4k...............................

Attached Files:

Bandit Billy and scotts52 like this.
  2. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Nice little Buick!
    Where else are you going to find a 3 window at that price? ;)

I'd hot rod it.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

"Marquette produced 35,007 vehicles in the U.S. during its brief one year life span; additionally, GM Canada turned out another 6,535 Marquettes."

Seriously, 4K sounds a bit light. This sounds like a good price for a unique yet solid car. Yeah, do it, you know what you're doing.
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

4. HRod 50

HRod 50

Really 4K? Wow, get it, and Rod it out.... I would if I could afford it...

5. Squablow

Squablow

Very pretty car, seems like a really good price too. There's not a ton of market for restored oddball brand cars of the period, so I wouldn't feel bad building a hotrod, but it'd be a crime to chop it or take the fenders off. Just redo the suspension and frame and run a nailhead or something in it. I don't think that'd be a crime at all.

6. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Maybe an interesting tidbit; Buick had a cheaper offering called the Marquette, the Marquette died and Buick survived. Oldsmobile had a cheaper one called a Viking, Viking died and Olds survived. Cadillac had the LaSalle which died and Cadillac survived. Oakland had a cheaper offering called a Pontiac, guess what happened here.

tr_rodder likes this.
  7. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I'm on board with this plan. I'd drop in a nailhead, re-arch the springs for a few inches drop, and drive away happy. :D

8. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

This was my first thought! "Where else are you going to find a 3 window at that price? " But it's still not "THE THREE WINDOW"

Oddball is the key word I would think even though the initial coast would be half what a comparable Ford or Chevy would be it will still cost the same or probably more to build than what do you have? Still has the interior wood to deal with over a Ford also.
    On the fence with this one ....................
    Maybe better off finding a guy to build it for instead!

9. Hot rod it

10. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Dude!!!! That gem rules!! Get it and go

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Almost the same body style as this '29 Chevy......................

Attached Files:

12. rokcrln

rokcrln

I agree the price is good but like you pointed out the initial cost ends up being the cheap part. So if it is not a car you just can't live with out then pass and find the right one for you.

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

13. Only way to determine the market is to advertise it nationally for six months or so in Hemmings, on eBay and elsewhere. If you can't flip it in that amount of time and make money on it, build a rod.

14. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

Did you have to talk him out of it or did he tell you it was forsale???? I thought was pondering the idea and said he would think about it? Looks pretty nice.

15. 4k? Mostly complete? I'd buy it.

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

He called me and threw out the figure, do you want it?

17. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

I wish

18. Vendome

Vendome

Yup, build it for somebody. That way you get to enjoy it but don't have to own it...

19. Weasel

Weasel

20. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

It isn't just interior wood, the entire structure of the body is wood. If the wood is bad, it takes someone who is really into woodworking to tackle it.

etboy97 likes this.
  21. What do the old car value/price guides say about the value??

22. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

xlr8 is right...lots of wood in those babies ! But they are SUPER rare. The price seems in the ballpark, but you might want to counter offer a tad lower.

JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

23. better have your woodworking skills honed sharp because these early GM vehicles will really test them. i tried and found out just how poor mine were years ago and if you think a jigsaw puzzle has lots of pieces.....

24. I would try to get it running with everything stock. Looks like you already have a hot rod. Once you hear the stock engine come to life you will probably love it. There are so many cut up cars on the market today and they are not as desirable as an original uncut car. Anybody can install a different frame and engine in a car but this will take some skill and it will not be just another street rod.

I think there are some speed parts made for this engine. I find more of a challenge and more rewarding to modify a stock engine for more horsepower.

You can buy a lot of wood and working tools for a small amount of money. A lot of schools offer wood working classes at night school and you can use all of their tools if you do not have the right ones.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  25. 2,475 3W coupes made; about $4000 is right for #5 (complete, needs total restoration) and around $31,000 for #1 condition.

26. Mark E Potvin

Mark E Potvin

What happened to this car?

27. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Get it and do some research to see if you and make some money on it. Remember that someday they may become much more valuable than they are now. I have had some cars many years ago that were not desireable and who would have thought what they are worth now. I didn't and wish the heck I had kept them.

28. 2935ford

2935ford

MHO
    Buy it. Rod it.
    Keeps the car on the road in a more “modern” state for todays driving.
    That’s what I did for my kinda rare 1919 Dort.

29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

5window, chopped and Bandit Billy like this.
  30. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Gotta start reading the fine print

Bandit Billy and F&J like this.