Register now to get rid of these ads!

oil dummy light 57 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptvan, Feb 8, 2011.

1. choptvan

choptvan

I am having issues finding out what the deal is here. The oil light socket has 2 wires. The oil switch it has does not. Do I have the wrong socket or the wrong switch? As well, how should this be appropriately wired?

I changed this to an alternator as well. I noticed that the gen light has 2 wires? How should that go? Please forgive my ignorance... thought I would ask.

2. choptvan

choptvan

I forgot to subsribe. So I am bumping and subscribing at the same time...

3. MilesM

MilesM

I would assume one goes to power and the other to the sender to be grounded when it drops pressure.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

squirrel will correct me, but i'm pretty sure a dummy light is hot, and the switch grounds when there is under x lbs of pressure. where as a sensor would have an in and out wire with a resistor inside to create the signal.

5. note the wire color code. GM pink switched ign. blue for the oil sender.

6. dooling

dooling

the oil light has two wires. one tan 20 guage which goes to the ign sw. The same location on the ign sw. will have an 18 guage tan wire which goes out under the hood to the voltage drop resistor. The other side of the dash light has a dark blue 20 guage wire that goes to the sending unit on the motor. I bought a wiring harness from ebay's 1957 chevy site that hooks up the alt. and the dash light so it all workw as it should, and just plugs into the factory wiring harness. Real neat item and not expensive. (My alt. is not a 1 wire) Hope that helps.

7. choptvan

choptvan

So cool. Thanks guys. The hamb never fails! Could google that all day and still be looking....