Register now to get rid of these ads!

Open headers, air tools, hammering, ringing in the ears head count, young gun warning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no55mad, Aug 22, 2008.

1. no55mad

no55mad

I've noticed that in the 2.5 years since I started this post, it is getting harder and harder to hear my wife.

2. pitman

pitman

Constant ringing, mostly from an industrial accident & the loud percussion. Not fun!

3. todztoyz

todztoyz

I take Ring Stop from super sups. I took it for awhile and thought the shit don't work. I changed my mind after a few weeks without! They still ring and probably always will, but not as loud. Probably the worst damage was a .44 & .357 mag on the tundra, shootin at anything/everything with no plugs. Stupid.

4. Not sure, I'm 34 and there is someone constantly ringing the dinner bell in my ear.

5. 61pv544

61pv544
    from Denmark

Sorry man, this is just pure nonsense... This is like saying that there is no harm in smoking, just 'cause you knew somebody who smoked like crazy and lived to be 100 years old.

It has been proven time and time again that high sound pressure levels WILL damage your hearing. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but it will happen...

The only thing there is true here is that it is possible to get bad hearing without being exposed to noise, just as it is possible to get lung cancer without smoking.

I sure hope people do not take this kind of hogwash seriously... May I direct your attention to the "know-it-all" thread?

ALWAYS wear the correct protection gear for the job! Doesn't matter if it's ear muffs, welding helmet, fire retardent racing suit, safety shoes, gas mask, etc, etc etc...

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone...

6. Master of None

Master of None

I must be getting older,I find myself turning music down and wearing earmuffs more and more. I'm now working on capping my lakes headers and running pipes under my truck.....or maybe I'm getting smarter.......yeah I'll go with that.

7. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

I'm 57 years old. After years of the ringing and not hearing or understanding what people are saying I got my hearing tested. 80% hearing loss. If your tired of saying Huh and What and people not talking to you because you don't understand them, get your hearing checked. I now have a set of behind the ear Oticon hearing aids. They help me understand and hear much better and the ringing has almost stopped.

8. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

I've had it for years. Playing in bands, racecars, Harleys, seemed whatever I enjoyed was too loud. Its most noticable for me at night trying to sleep. I drownd it out with fans and a radio. I tend to avoid parties because conversation in a room full of people is impossible, it becomes a blob of sound. I lip read as much as I can. It sort of works. One problem I've noticed is hearing female voices over the phone. There is something about the pitch of female voices on the phone that makes it real tough for me to understand. I have a wife and two grown daughters. I have to tell them to not only speak a bit louder but, also slower and more clearly. Wish I had been smarter.

9. LMAO!!! I saw this thread and thought the same thing. So,in my case;are the voices and the ringing one and the same? If so,they need to work on their pronunciation;I can't understand a bloody thing!

I'll see the double-nickel in June;after 34+ years in the shop(yes,I wore earplugs 80%,ok,75% of the time...),open headers,air hammers,grinders,industrial vacs,bazillion-ton presses(louder than you'd think),and engines screaming in a dyno room(almost 10 years of that);I can't hear shit!!! OK,I have some hearing left,but it's rather diminished.

Take those precautions,folks!!!

10. BBMan

BBMan

Open headers and no protection 40 years ago gave me diminished hearing in a narrow band of mid-range frequency, which happens to be exactly where most human speech lives. Very frustrating. My ex used to gripe that I had the TV too loud. This is why. Then tinitus set in about 5 years ago. Drives me crazy. But I can still hear open headers prefectly. So, for all the younger guys out there, use ear protection! It'll make your later years much more enjoyable and your wife won't yell at you as much.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Definitely the best thing you can do is wear ear plugs and protect your hearing.

For really noisy things you should wear plugs and muffs too.

Once the ringing is there it's for good. And once the hearing is gone, it's gone.

Now for a joke.

I heard there's a new kind of AIDS. Hearing AIDS. You get it from listening to assholes :D

12. BBMan

BBMan

Oilcan....your story could have been written by me. Your problems are exactly the same as mine.

13. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Im 25 and have had constant ringing and selective hearing for a few years. Working on dirt track cars and going to races since 12, loud music, drag races and all the fun stuff took its toll.

14. no55mad

no55mad

This is my attempt to get the grandson in 'tune' with protecting his ears.

Attached Files:

15. My ears have started ringing worse lately, maybe from moving to a higher altitude (5300 ft). Recently I've seen a commercial on TV for a new drug or supplement that is supposed to help with tinnitus. Unfortunately the only thing worse than my hearing is my memory and I can't remember the name of it. Has anyone heard of this or used it? I Googled "tinnitus" and found some good info on its causes and treatment.

http://healing.about.com/cs/conditions/a/tinnitus.htm

http://hearinglossresearch.com/

http://www.quietrelief.com/

http://www.naturaltinnitusrelief.com/

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I want to add something to this...

My Fiancée lost her hearing in middle-school. It was something as a side-effect of chicken pocks. When she was 18 she had surgery to have a Cochlear Implant installed in her head. This made her completely deaf in one year, and she has about 15% hearing left in the other. I think it has only helped make her an even BETTER person, she's amazing and truly my hero on so many levels because of what she has to deal with as someone who is hearing impaired. People DO discriminate, often treat her bad, get frustrated with her, and everything else. She often has to hand the phone to me to help her communicate with the person on the other end of the line. It is humiliating for her sometimes and people can be VERY hurtful.

Wanna know what the process is? How about a video!!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x7ltzA0B2X8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I0Z3eKNw2vc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

This is the REAL deal folks!

Don't find yourself in a similar position. Use common sense. You have ONE pair of ears. Once they are damaged, that's it. You may think it's all fine and dandy that there's a technological way to deal with hearing loss, but I don't think you're going to like the results when compared to what you were given when conceived.

Be smart people! Take the time to wear PPE.

I said this earlier in the thread, I think... I wear the ear muff type protection (light weight, typically found at Home Depot, Lowes, whatever...) used for chainsaws and the likes. They are GREAT! I find that I can work several more hours, never have ringing ears, never get metal or any other debris in my ears, and if I want, can even put some ear buds from my iPod in there and listen to music. Earplugs suck unless you replace them or clean them every time you use them and leave them in the whole time you're working. Even then, they aren't as good as the ear muff type.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  17. junkiegene

junkiegene
    from anaheim

I have tinitus, Doc say's common with people with Multiple Scierosis. I was diagnosed in 97. I still use ear protection though, everone should.

18. indyjps

indyjps

I wear earplugs for everything, compressor, grinder, even mowing the yard. I worked in a stamping plant for 7 years, hearing protection required.
    After listening to presses hammering away all day I dont like anything loud anymore.

I notice I can hear things not many others can so I guess its working. Is that the pizza guy pulling in the driveway? my wife thinks Im crazy until the door bell rings

19. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Well I wish I knew about hearing protection back when I was young . I played in a rock band and had a huge speaker cabinet and lots of watts ! I shot guns for hours upon hours . I worked in heavy equipment for a while drilling blasting holes for blasting stone .
    After all that I took a hearing test for a job . Well come to find out all that fun cost me about 1/2 my hearing !
    I have little bit left and have trouble hearing on the phone and in person sometimes . Now when I do any body work or even ride the lawn tractor , I ALWAYS where hearing protection .
    I really wish I knew that 40 years ago !

Retro Jim

20. no55mad

no55mad

Too bad we try to help ourselves after the fact. We get partial hearing loss, then we start wearing safety equipment. Same thing with sun overexposure, to include welding high intensity light damage. As with the grandson in the above post, try to teach the young guns.

21. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

When I was about 4-5 years old I got the sick and ran a temperature of 105 and messed up my ears. But didn't get tested until I was 12 - Doc said my hearing was below normal, so my dad said live with it. When I met my wife she said get hearing aids if we are going the get married and offered the pay for them. Well that got to my dad, so he bought them - 34 years ago - I was 24 years old wearing 2 hearing aids because of an illness AND loud music, headers, rock bands & concerts. Today these little puppies cost ver $5000.00 a pair - and last only 3-6 years. Man just think all the cool stuff I could buy for my shoebox with $5 G's. I'm speech deafness without them now, plus as an option they came with tinitus too (ringing in the ears). Through the years I've heard ringing, a blower motor, fan, clicking, and so on. It's loud enough to interfere with talking to some one, not to mention trying to sleep.
    When ever I see these kids driving their cars with the loud Boom Boom speakers I just shake my head. My dad ended up with tinitus too. the only way he could sleep was to play a radio at night.
    So all I can say is see a good doctor, then a hearing aid provider. Sometimes a hearing aid can help with tinitus-good luck.