Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motor Mount Rubber ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turdmagnet, Feb 7, 2011.

1. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

Got a 51 Poncho with a 239 in line six. The mounts on the back of the engine are quite light duty, but the origianl tranny mount was quite substantial. However, I've swapped it out for a T5 and now I seem to get a lot of motor twist as the T5 mount is light as well.

Thinking of making new heavier mounts to counter act this, but not sure of what to use for rubbers. What has everyone else used when making them ? And how thick are they ??

Thanks much !!!

2. alex211

alex211
    from NW PA

I like to use leaf spring bushings and dom tube for a sleeve.

[​IMG]

3. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I have a 2-part rubber "resin" that I have used to rebuild old mounts. Just take the old rubber out of the stock mount, tape up a form, and pour in the new rubber. I forget what the hardness rating is on this material but I know that you can buy it as soft or as hard as you want it.

4. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I have a 40 Pontiac with the flathead six. The rear mounts were shot so I got a new set from Kanter and used an old drag racer trick on them. Drilled a 5/16 hole throgh the upper plate, the rubber, and the lower plate and then used a bolt with a self locking nut that is 1/16" or so from being screwed up against the bottom plate. No sound transmitted through the mount into the car but the bolt won't let the mount flex but a little bit. Certainly wasn't for excess power but for longevity.