Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. jrsautografx

jrsautografx

If that is not the coolest picture ever I don't know what is.

2. Was that no Id #4 Fueler from behind shot the "Wheeler Dealer" looks alot like an early Don Long car...

TH

3. blue hell wrench

blue hell wrench

Does anybody recognize the young fella with his right hand in his pocket? If you said Jake Johnston, I think you would be correct. Good guy and great driver. Mike

4. rick finch

rick finch

Here's another one that should trip your trigger.....John Mulligan, R.I.P.Moe :(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  5. rick finch

rick finch

6. swcmaz

swcmaz
    from PA.

Plum

Attached Files:

7. That picture in the center JJ in the water and Pam with her arm up and the bleach bottle in her other is cool I can hear the roar out of the zoomies,,,,smell the fuel

8. Muttley

Muttley

I scanned the picture from an old issue of Super Stock & FX Magazine but there was no infomation about the car.

9. heavyhitter 57

heavyhitter 57

that falcon is dave lyall he ran that car on the udra tour in 65

10. heavyhitter 57

heavyhitter 57

and the nascar circult also

11. rick finch

rick finch

Houston............we have a problem.

[​IMG]

12. rick finch

rick finch

The Groundshakers.....

[​IMG]

13. rick finch

rick finch

Early Mondello & Matsubara.....

[​IMG]

14. Damn,I dig AA/FA's! Anyone notice that while the car has an M&H sticker,that's a Goodyear trying to hook up. No contingency money for you!!!

15. swcmaz

swcmaz
    from PA.

The Mustang is their F/C, not their Mustang Gasser.

Plum

Attached Files:

16. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Hey Plum,where's this pick of the Nitemayer from? I dig the house right at the track.I sure would like to live in a placxe like that.
    [​IMG]

17. The photo is from Cecil County Dragway. The house was torn down a few years ago and is now additional pit area.

18. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

19. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Great shots of S-W-C,Plum.

Yep,had the same thoughts of the house at Cecil.Would have been cool to live there.As Troublemaker said--Gone.

20. rick finch

rick finch

The original "Pure Hell".....SBC powered.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. rick finch

rick finch

22. rick finch

rick finch

23. rick finch

rick finch

24. rick finch

rick finch

The "Mongoose".....

[​IMG]

25. rick finch

rick finch

Gene Coleman.....

[​IMG]

26. rick finch

rick finch

The absolutely fearless Gary Gabelich.....(drove T/F boats, jet cars, a LSR rocket you name it!) :cool:

[​IMG]

27. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Gary after crashing in the Spirit of America,,,,,,,,,,,
    And for my next trick,,,,,,I'm gonna set myself on fire!!!!!!

28. Someone asked if this was the Wheeler Dealer, I don't think so. The first Wheeler Dealer was a Don Long car, it was the ex Ed Pink "striped car", but the paint was not a panel job, that came on the second Wheeler Dealer, an SPE car.

The number is wrong too, WD had 19 on the back.

The "catch can" canteen for water overflow was the same though.

That brings to mind a great Buster Couch story. I was the crew kid on the Wheeler Dealer, we were in Dallas at the Springnationals in 1969, back when it was a big deal. Everyone was there, everyone.

Bub Reese pulls the car to the line for a run, he had already burned out so the engine was nice and hot. Water starts bubbling out of the "catch canteen". Buster's having a fit, starts to shut Bub down and Bam! leaves, Bruce and I standing there watching the run, we were 13th at that point, Buster comes running over screaming his head off, I pantomime that I heard him, we hop in the Suburban and go get Bub.

Turns out there was no gasket in the lid of the "catch canteen". We had been racing in the Northeast all Spring and I guess the motor had never gotten as hot as it was in Dallas in June.

Anyway, we're safely in the field. We're just hanging out listening to qualifying, when quick as 3 cars can get down the track all of a sudden we're in danger of being bumped out. Bruce had cut out a piece of cardboard to act as a gasket on the leaky canteen. We hustle servicing the car and run back up and get in line.

We finally get our last shot, Bub burns out and as he's backing up I notice (a little late!) the top to the canteen hanging down, not screwed in. I know what's going to happen, water will pour out Buster will get pissed and we won't get our last run.

So as Bub is staging I run up behind the car kneel down and start screwing the cap back on, the car is vibrating like crazy, I just get the cap tight, BAM Bub leaves, jerking my hand away from the cap, I stand up and I'm eye to eye with Buster Couch... I'm a kid of 17...Buster looks like he's going to burst a blood vessel...he starts screaming at me...all I can think to do is nod my ackowledgement, turn on my heel and haul ass to the open door and refuge of the Suburban, Bruce slams it into gear and we're off!

I didn't get thrown out but we ended up in 17th didn't make the show, but on Sunday we crewed for Hank Westmoreland in Don Johnson's Beachcomber and he won the meet so at least we had fun.

Ah, good times...:)

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

29. apound

apound

Ok I know it's not a drag car in motion but thought this kind of fit the thread. A buddy brought these by the shop this morning. Original NHRA starter flags from the days before the tree. Tried to talk him out of them but no luck.

Attached Files:

30. That was a Breedlove qoute
    ;)