Register now to get rid of these ads!

1500 Cars Going to be crushed March 2011. Buy them while you can

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wizard, Jan 31, 2011.

1. MXrider13

MXrider13
    from Florida

That sucks that they are crushing all the cars.
    To bad I am in FLorida

2. Wizard

Wizard

Think your right on that. Regular stuff hopefully will still go for regular scrap price when I call.

3. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

yeah cars are in really bad shape, if they weren't i would be alot more pissed off. Its good for getting some parts though i scored some good fender caps for 56 olds and also a decent set of quarter panel fins off a 60 desoto last time i went.

4. Wizard

Wizard

I just called today (Friday 4th Feb) and the guy there in York (not John he wasn't in today) says the yard in the woods is now closed on Saturdays. They are open M-F 8-5pm. I asked if you could still buy cars and he said yes.

wizard

5. Clark

Clark

I was there today. Was really suprised at how much was crushed. I would guess it will only take 2-3 weeks till it's gone. looks like they are setting some cars aside. Unfortunately there was some stuff i wanted that is gone now.

I didn't get much...just a pair of bus seats. They're driver seats with some cool adjustments on the seat back.

I tried to get some International truck wheels. Fought with them for a while. Once they were off I saw the bottom lip was toast. All that work for nothing. BTW driver's side is left hand thread....ask me how I know:) Also wanted a pulley off of a Y block but it was stuborn. The two things I wanted I couldn't get.

There was a few other things I wanted but couldn't get to them or they were too hard to get off.

There is about 8-10 inches of snow on everything. Real hard to see what's there.

The guy's prices have been crazy on the obvious stuff. If you wanted something off a popular car he wanted crazy prices. I actually cut the roof off the 50 merc. I had bought a roof the week before and he said roofs were $100. To my suprise he wanted $800. It had rot around the windows.

I did get 4 of the Chevy "divco" high clearance wheels for $20 each. That seems to be his going price on wheels.

His going price on rears is $250. I guess it would be bad if you had to have a certain rear. We get rears for $80 at a local yard. No rears for me. BTW there was an open banjo there.

Here's some pics. I'd love to have the PBR truck.
    Clark

Attached Files:

6. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

man this sucks one of the few j yards i go to is actually going away for good

7. Clark

Clark

The yard that went away that was a real shame was Pyles up Beaversprings. It was atleast twice the size of this yard and the prices were good.

Bauchman was just too hard to deal with. That's why it's ging to scrap. Hell the Merc roof will be junk before long. It's sitting beside a steel pole building. As soon as that roof unloads it's snow it will turn that top inside out.

Another funny thing is most of those Google satelite pics are of the wrong yard.

Merc-O...how were the prices on what you bought? Did you get much?
    Clark

8. chickenwire

chickenwire
    from New Jersey

Went out today also, and saw much was crushed already. Unfortunately whatever was left was in pretty bad shape.

9. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

hows the stuff in the woods holding up?

10. Clark

Clark

chickenwire....were you the guys in the Cherokee with the trailer? I was in the turd of a minivan. It was hard finding anything in the snow.
    Clark

11. chickenwire

chickenwire
    from New Jersey

Clark, we were out in an Explorer, we were out first thing in the morning, but were out of there by 11:30, really hard to find anything in the snow!

12. Clark

Clark

I got there after you left. I've been there a few times and know where most everything is and still had a hard time.

for the guy that said there was no 312 Y blocks....did you see the two 56 Mercury's? Shouldn't they have 312's?

And there is still a couple of hemi's in there. 2 are babies and 1 354. Didn't bother asking a price after getting the price on the W head motors.
    Clark

13. Wizard

Wizard

Is it confirmed that they are closed up on Saturdays? I called last Thursday and the guy at York said they were not open on Sat. This wasn't John the guy who owns it.

14. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

umm i payed 60 for the quarter panels, 20 for olds headlight fender caps, my friend payed like 20 bucks for a t bird hood scoop which was the the only thing salvageable on the hood. i forget what else i got

15. EEZI

EEZI

For all the younger guys who see pics of all those 30s coupes etc in the old junkyard vintage pics, and say, " How come nobody saved them!?!?" , this thread shows the reason why. Scrap gets high and valuable, cars are rotted, they are not yet as rare as 80-year-old cars, ...and so away they go to the crusher.
    In 30 years, those $800 roofs,etc that are too expensive today will be what we're crying about.:(

16. scalhotrod

scalhotrod

Dang it, this is one of the few rare times where it sucks to live in California...! Too far for me...

17. Wizard

Wizard

Just went there yesterday (14 Feb). They scrapped alot. I would say there are about 225 cars left. 2 guys were also there, getting parts and motors. I took a bunch of pictures and will try to have them posted here by tonight. Still alot of good stuff in there. Was qouted scrap price for a car. $600.00 Was in decent shape also. Looks like they will be done by end of Feb.

Wizard

18. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

are they there everyday crushing? i was planning on going friday but im worried there isnt gunna be much left by the time i get there im like 3 hours away and taking off of work, so i dont feel like going for nothing

19. Clark

Clark

We went last Friday. The one thing I thought about getting was doors off of the PBR truck. What's the first thing we see.....the PBR truck up in flames. Aparently they were cutting something off of the truck and accidently caught it on fire.

Couldn't find much that I wanted. Doubt i'll go back. Might be better after the snow melts. The cars that are left are parked so close it's hard to get to them.

Redz has some pics but he needs help loading them. We watched a 57 Ford wagon go into the crusher.
    Clark

20. Wizard

Wizard

Here are some pics I took of what's going on in the yard the other day. Yes, they are scrapping every day. M-F. I have more pics of the cars. I believe there would be still alot of cars there left if you go Friday. They have to cut down trees which slows them down from crushing.

Wizard

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  21. pontiacfarmer

pontiacfarmer
    from sweden

have some photos from this falls trip....il try to upload
    s

22. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

man what a waste if i hear right i heard its because of the gvt telling em to get out. i dont understand now, its been there since the 50s and now all of a sudden its a problem. stuff like this should be grand fathered in

23. MrSpade13

MrSpade13

seems im a bit late to jump on this deaL

24. kein

kein

Sounds like I will miss the boat also but hey...any of you NJ/PA/DEL guys have any other hidden J yards you can mention? Seems like this is typical, a j yard thats been around forever and so many don't know about it. All I have around me is modern day junk and not worth the time to explore really.

25. Seems like there was the same kind of deal at a place near me in Jackson,N.J. There used to be an old junkyard out here that dealt with the old cars that I noticed is pretty much cleaned out. I think it was on Elton Adelphia rd?
    There used to be a ton of old Caddys out there. Mostly 50's era.Now it's pretty much totally empty. Very sad.

26. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

27. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

also i would like to include englers if its not in that thread

1768 Stairville Rd Wapwallopen, PA

570 868 3990

28. wally426ci

wally426ci

Ed Lucke's
    3195 Jefferson Road, Glen Rock, PA <NOBR>(717) 235-2866</NOBR> &#8206;

"Wednesday-Friday 9:30am-12:30pm, 1:00pm-5:00pm Saturday 9:00am-12:00pm"

Not open until after Spring Carlisle but look it up on a map. 17 acres of nothing newer than 1980

:D

29. kein

kein

Spring is fine for me Wally and thanks for that link Merk, def be checking them out.

30. Wizard

Wizard

I was up at this yard yesterday. There are about 100 cars/trucks still there. There is a 37 or 38 Plymouth pickup truck there. In real bad shape. Parts missing and rusty frame but could be salvaged as I went over it real good. He wants $800.00 for it. Also 1946 Dodge truck, about same condition maybe little better. Few other big dodge trucks in there like enclosed trucks. and Mid size medium 40's truck. Also 2 ford trucks in the 40's, 1 international in 40-50's, 1 chevy pickup in 40's couple of chevy cars in 40's. Still alot of 50's cars. Oldsmobile, chevy, 40's-60's caddilacs. There is a 50's big dodge work crane truck with a boom that has a hemi in it with 2 single barrel or double barrel carbs on it.Never seen anything like it. Probably an industrial work truck hemi with 2 seperate carbs on it. There are alot of 265-283 motors, 327 motors, other big blocks, lots of 50's wagons left. A rare 1946 BECK inter city transit bus good shape. Alot of other 60's buses. Most of bodies are shot/rotted in bad shape. Only good for some chrome and motors. Asked when crusher is coming again and they don't know yet. No word when they are coming either but they have to have the yard cleaned up and out of there by June.

Wizard

Last edited: May 5, 2011