Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs welding whine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eugene vik, Feb 5, 2011.

1. 1ton

1ton

Yup...finish the weld pass first and then worry about the pain.

2. Billet

Billet

I'm not the only one? Experience working in a cast iron foundry helps with the concentration while your burning. The fancy self darkening helmet helps a lot.
    Hang in there, I know the Jack Pine Savages are a tough bunch.
    Good luck with your project.

3. Now that's a good story.

I'm building a rotisserie for my next project. Overhead with the helmet and reading glasses is a bitch.

How do we reverse this aging thing?

4. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

5. Nothing sounds quite like that does it! Lmao

6. AntiBling

AntiBling

Or you could take it to someone that actually KNOWS HOW TO WELD instead of practicing unsafe "welding". A series of tacks does not equal a weld.

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Burnt skin, smashed fingers, caught the car on fire once, put it on, take it off, repair it so I can use it, etc., etc. Yeah, I sympatize, and been there. But then I'm not one of the young guys, so I guess I'm in the same boat! ;)

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Getting old isn't so bad when you consider the alternative.

They make magnifying lenses for welding helmets. I have a pair of safety glasses that were made to focus best at 36 inches away so I don't have to tilt my head for the trifocals.

It doesn't seem to matter what you wear. Sparks and slag seem to find their way through anything. The tiniest hole acts like a funnel. I wear white cotton gloves because they're more flexible and you can turn your hand and let the piece of slag burn it's way out.

9. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

yea i agree with ANtibling, if ya dont know what your doing, dont do it. I think some of the worst welding i have ever seen has been on race cars and customs. I have worked on pretty many rides and done a lot of repair work for people.. When welding something structural, or something for safety, shitty welding can mean life or death. If ya dont know how to weld proficiently, dont do roll cages and dont do suspension or chassis work. Remember, just because you can lay down a weld bead, sure as hell doesnt make you a welder, and just because there is a weld bead on the joint, doesnt mean its strong or done correctly.

10. havi

havi

Structurally, I agree. But body shops and muffler/exhaust shops aren't flipping cars over to avoid an overhead. Just saying. :D