Register now to get rid of these ads!

Modified Production

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by colesy, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Keep the pictures coming but....

[​IMG]

els likes this.
  2. colesy

colesy

Personally, I couldn't care less what classes are posted especially if it leads to all this drama. My hope with starting this thread was to get some discussion going about the old Modified Production cars such as Carroll Caudle, Ralph Ridgeway etc. and possibly learn a thing or two along the way. For me the photos are secondary. I enjoy reading about the mechanical developments of the classes, what made certain cars more successful than others and so on. To come on a thread and just post a photo of a car that was found somewhere else on the internet doesn't do anything for me unless it's meant to initiate some discussion or make a point. Don't get me wrong, I understand that some are here soley for the photos and that's great, may I suggest the "Drag Cars in Motion" thread, go fill yer boots. Like I say, I started the thread with hopes that we'd all learn something. Where everyone wants to take this is entirely up to you. Life is far too short to get worked up about such things. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  3. Larry T

Larry T

A few months ago, I heard that Caudle was going to restore his 55. It's been sitting inside at his business. They said the car was still in great shape, but that the paint was really cracked on it.
    Larry T

els likes this.
  4. colesy

colesy

Hey Larry, I hope they leave it just as it is. It should be in a museum somewhere. For me, that car and Ralph's 55 are very large pieces of Drag Racing history with the development of the tunnel ram and all. Modified Production was to Pro Stock what Muddy Waters was to the Rolling Stones. :D

els likes this.
  5. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Was this vehicle also run as a Stocker at one time? Thought I've seen it somewhere in the Junior Stock thread a while back.

-Nevermind... found it...:)

Originally Posted by BIG JOHN 37
    One of the Cieri's still lives in Piscataway, (Anthony?) the wagon is still in the garage, at least it was a while back, right around the corner from Pat Riccardi's (Pafoo Drag-on 57 K/S and G/MP) brother Greg's house -

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
    els likes this.
  6. Larry T

Larry T

I had some up to date pictures of the car, but I can't find them right now. I believe the drivetrain is long gone (maybe used in his Vega gasser???). I'm pretty sure the car is gonna get paint, but I sure hope he leaves it in race condition instead of putting it back on the street. Wayne Calvert took an early 60's period gasser Willys and turned it into a street car. It's their cars and their choices, but I don't really like to see history destroyed.

Anyway, back to MP history. I haven't seen it, but I heard that Caudle (sorry bout the name mix up, I have the greatest respect for both builders) still has Edelbrocks first wooden prototype tunnelram sitting on a shelf at his shop. Edelbrock wanted to "look at" Caudle's intake for their tunnelram development work and he sent it to them. They cut his intake up and he wasn't real happy about it so when they sent him the prototype to check out, he just kept it. This is word of mouth so take it for what it's worth.
    Larry T

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
    els likes this.
  7. colesy

colesy

Anyway, back to MP history. I haven't seen it, but I heard that Calvert still has Edelbrocks first wooden prototype tunnelram sitting on a shelf at his shop. Edelbrock wanted to "look at" Caudle's intake for their tunnelram development work and he sent it to them. They cut his intake up and he wasn't real happy about it so when they sent him the prototype to check out, he just kept it. This is word of mouth so take it for what it's worth.
    Larry T[/QUOTE]

Yes, the whole tunnel ram subject deserves it's own thread here on the HAMB. Here's a link to part of the Ralph Ridgeway story......
    http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458837&highlight=ridgeway

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  8. Larry T

Larry T

Here's a link to a Jim McFarland article that has some Caudle/Edelbrock info in it. The rest of the article is pretty interesting too.
    Kind of interesting that it appears that the FI tunnelram was being developed by two different builders at around the same time. I'm not gonna even hazzard a guess at who was first, probably doesn't matter anyway. Both camps took the idea and developed it.
    Larry T

http://www.maxchevy.com/columns/mcfarland/ii_7-mcfarland-2.html

els likes this.
  9. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

69 tincan - Pat's Pafoo Drag -on '57, came to life after a "vacation" with Uncle Sam. When created it ran as a K/S, then L/S, before being converted to run Modified Eliminator, first as an F/MP, then as a G/MP. It still exists as a Bracket Car, based out of Staten Island, now with a 'glass nose, and a Big Block/T400 combo.

els likes this.
  10. colesy

colesy

Here's a bit of Modified Production trivia for you. Before it was the Scotto and Blevins 55 Nomad it was the Blevins and Scotto 55 Nomad. Check out the door of the car on the next page. I posted an article on this car a few pages back from 1971. This article is from 1968.

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  11. colesy

colesy

An exhaust system was still part of the rules.

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  12. racemad55

racemad55

Thanks for the pics colesy,when sanding off many layers of paint I did indeed come across the remains of the original Blevins&Scotto lettering that was first used, Never did ask them why it was Reversed later! What mag was that story in,one of the ones I don't have.

els likes this.
  13. colesy

colesy

You're most welcome. It was from the January 1969 issue of Super Street Cars, an Engeldrum magazine out of NYC. I had never noticed the reversed lettering on the earlier version but now I will check everything I have on the 55 to see if I can find more.

els likes this.
  14. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Probably got that issue,Rick.But don't know where.
    I am fortunate to be a friend of Ricks.Could not believe it when he told me he scored the Blevins Nomad.That car was what I built my 57 after.E/MP then G/MP.
    Those pics Colesy posted sure reminded me of mine.Had same 1st issue shoebox manifold that would flood if you did not fill base.My carb linkage wasn't pretty,but worked.
    The 240A's I love.Damn if mine didn't look plumbed just like that and mounted in same spot.Thought I still had the pair but have not come across them.Might have went on another drag car.HTF but there are rebuild kits available.They are on the list.
    Think I already posted a pic of my car so this is an encore.Don't look like this anymore thanks to Rick and others.The 2nd pic is coming out of Ricks shop.Time to get my ass in gear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

els likes this.
  15. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Last night I found some B&W negatives that I had not previously scanned. They were taken at a UDRA Gasser Circuit event at Delmar around 1971. Back then I had an elderly gentleman process my film and he would occasionally over process and I would up with some poor quality images. Too bad the one of the Imposter and Rat's Nest was not better. Wonder how many times they faces each other?

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  16. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Ran into a guy at the Rolling Bones garage nite that has the Rat's Nest Vette.

els likes this.
  17. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Are you restoring it back to the way it looked when it was raced(first pic)? Looking foward to progress pics of the Ol' Bucksnort.

els likes this.
  18. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Gotcha.

Pete

els likes this.
  19. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Thank you...much appreciated.

Regards,

Pete

els likes this.
  20. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Cool pix, Tom!

Pete

els likes this.
  21. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Cool M/P!

Pete

els likes this.
  22. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Hello Rich. What a small world. Yes, I'd love to see the photos!

Pete

els likes this.
  23. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Yep,got the urge to bang some gears again.Gonna do some nostalgia racing.Got couple short blocks,picked up some Brownfields,got lotsa parts,just got to get moving on it.Collecting old decals and will have it lettered.

els likes this.
  24. colesy

colesy

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  25. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

els likes this.
  26. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Thanks Pete.
    Doing a great job with the photos.

els likes this.
  27. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:I think this is a John Johnson photo of the Imposter at Maple Grove. I also don't mind any door slammers than ran in modified eliminator. The thread was kind of dormant until Colesy opened it up a little. Thanks Coles!

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  28. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

You are correct with the Fletcher Camaro. 99% of me thinks so anyways.
    The only problem with being around in that era is that the age deal is climbing.Other than that,it was f'n great.

els likes this.
  29. AHotRod

AHotRod

Love the pictures of the Chevy II Wagon and Sedan, first I'd seen.
    Thanks to all of you that are sharing these stories and pictures.

els likes this.
  30. vettsplit63

vettsplit63
    from Texas

PM sent reference the Burgundy T-bolt

els likes this.