Register now to get rid of these ads!

New guy with a new project...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave333, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Dave333

Dave333

First, I'd like to thank all of the guys that provide input on these forums. It's saved me many hours of grief. Backstory....corporate guy who answered the call on 9/11 and went into the Army. Wound up in 3rd Special Forces Group (hence the online ID...ODA 333) and then got out and started working for the private military contractors. This job has allowed me the funds to purchase my projects (wife put a limit of $5,000 per purchase price) and some time to work on them (I only work 8 - 9 months a year...all overseas though). Which being overseas gives me a ton of time to research/find parts, read all the posts, create documents and spreadsheets, etc. Now I'm close to pursuing my dream (at age 35) of going back to school (BA in Finance...what a waste) and get a real degree...ASE. My GI Bill will foot the bill plus pay a housing stipend. I've been working on cars since I was 15 because like most of us I was too poor to actually have anything new so I learned how to maintain and repair on a budget.

Anyways, my cars are as follows:

1968 Firebird 400 with WZ block (not vehicle correct) and M21 close ratio (date correct but from a Corvette). This is my 8 year old sons car...maybe...if he's responsible.

1967 Impala 4 door sport sedan, 396 numbers matching with Protect-O-Plate and A/C. 96k original miles. Purchased from original owner out of Texas and the car was assembled at the plant 54 miles from his house. No rust at all, the floors looked new and I even found the spare glove box key under the padding!

1968 Chevelle SS 396, numbers matching, 2 speed powerglide. Just purchased this today, even though I'm still out of country. Will be home this weekend and will pick it up on Sunday. The owner sent me pictures of the trim tag, block vin, heads vin and then pictures on the car. Everything checked out to be a true SS 396. Built in Atlanta where it currently is now. Original owner as well, all documents and Protect O Plate as well.

So as always, posts are useless without pics. Don't have any on my new laptop of the Firebird but here are some of the Impala (interior is almost completed now) and my newly acquired Chevelle. Also threw in a couple of my truck and the wife's garage. All work has been completed my me, with the wife learning along the way.

[​IMG]
    This will be my 2 year old boys.

[​IMG]

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/2160569054.html
    Link is all I got right now...minus the engine and trim tag pics.

[​IMG]
    Trim Tag

[​IMG]
    Engine (tranny and heads are in the background)

[​IMG]
    My truck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The wife's cars (The Charger is Plum Crazy # 027 of 300)

[​IMG]
    The most fun any job can allow (Afghanistan 2006, Helmand Province)

Well guys that's it. Long winded intro but I'll be sure to update you as I progress on each vehicle. I work on each one a little at a time.

2. Kerry67

Kerry67

3. badshifter

badshifter

Never ends does it? Nobody reads any more. Just join and post.

"Well guys that's it. Long winded intro but I'll be sure to update you as I progress on each vehicle. I work on each one a little at a time. "

Update us when you have sold these cars and bought something that relates to the site you signed up for by mistake.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  4. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I like candy

5. metal man

metal man

So,do you have an interest in pre-64 ,traditionally styled hot rods and customs? Are you going to get one soon?

6. Dave,
    First off thanks for the your service, but I think your stuff isn't really the kind of stuff the HAMB is about. Just giving you a heads up. There's no rule saying you have to own a pre '65 car to be allowed on here, but that's what the site is about (pre'65 hot rods customs)

7. nukeGM

nukeGM

joined a year and a half ago and I'm guessing that his first post was today and probably hasn't read a single word anyone else has written????

wtf????

8. Dave333

Dave333

Damn I suck. Never read the sticky about the H.A.M.B., mods feel free to remove the thread and guys feel free to rip away. I've got thick skin so won't bother me a bit. I'd like to stay on the forum at least as I love looking at what you all do but boot me if you want. Later.

9. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

You guys jump all over each other to thank military vets and can't give this guy a break?

Welcome to the HAMB, Dave!

10. Dave333

Dave333

Nah man I understand. Failure to follow instructions is a major thing we always dinged FNG's on the team for and here I am doing the same thing. I'll humbly bow out and go to a forum more suited for late 60's vehicles. I'll keep you guys on my list though as I love the work you all do, it's living art. Thanks though.