Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "The Texas Playboy"... '32 Ford Street Roadster...1959 style.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Jan 20, 2011.

1. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Thanks brian for sharing this build with us. I would just repost everything that has already been posted to cover all of the emotions/feelings that this car generates. I'm just extremely sorry I didn't get to see it in person at the GNRS.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Congratulations on the photo and write up in The Rodders Journal GNRS email coverage that came out today. TRJ knows hot rods and when you catch their eye you have done good.

3. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Looks bitchin!! Definitely a quality build. I like everything about it! I'm sure its hard to out-do yourself on each build but this one is cool.

4. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I'm going to try to get Part 3 up soon. Thanks for all the positive comments, fellas.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
    kidcampbell71 and pecker head like this.
  5. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Now that's a "HOT ROD"!!!

6. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

That's about as good as it gets.

7. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

That looks a lot like snow there on the ground but naaaw, that's Texas, it can't be snow. LOL

8. Ask the folks in arlington if it ever snows. LMAO

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Brian, it was great seein you again last weekend. The roadster looks AWESOME and that Fat Luckys interior....killer! You should be very proud. I really enjoyed seeing it and chatting with Steve and his son AND I'm really looking forward to seeing it cruising in Austin.

Here's some of the shots I took

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Rusty

Rusty

As I was chatting with Steve's son I was thinking to myself won't it be neat to see him start to hang out with Danny daughter Danyelle. They are both such great kids. I didn't say anything to him in person about it cuz I didn't want to embarass him about a girl. :D[/QUOTE]

Uh Oh!!!

Badd Ass Roadster Brian!!!!!!! Is it gettin a top? the hood is killer on it

11. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Drag link parallel to the wish bone is a bit of a myth.

In a perfect world, you want the tie-rod hole of the pitman arm to be on the same plane as an imaginary line drawn through the rear wishbone mounting point and the upper steering arm mounted to the spindle. As long as it's close, then you'll be OK....and on this car, it's close enough.

I've driven this car, and it doesn't have any bumpsteer...it actually steers very nicely. The same as the other cars I've set up with F-100, F-1, or big truck (F-3, F-5) boxes.

Here is a link to a pretty good discussion on the subject:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5832

Andy, the real answer is practice! I don't think I can explain it through the computer, but one tip I can give you is that I typically pulse the pedal. I use 1/16" filler rod on 1/4" plate. I don't know what amperage, because I control it by feel with the foot pedal.

Thanks! That's a great compliment!

Steve, I was really surprised the TRJ thought enough about the car to put it in their newsletter. I hope they might see fit to do a feature on it, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Everybody wants their car in The Rodder's Journal!

Thanks for the photos, Denise! Nice seeing you as well.

Yes, there is a white top for the car. I haven't put the studs in the body for the snaps yet.

I really think I like the car better with the hood on it, but the final decision on that is up to Steve.

Thanks again, everyone!

12. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Knowing that this pic was taken in Dallas, Its really weird to see melting snow in the pic.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  13. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

That hood sure looks good!

14. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bass is a ruler.

15. Well I guess that'll do for a rush. It was done in a rush wasn't it? Show off! Nice car, well done.

16. Turbo442

Turbo442

Wow! Jeez, this is just incredible.

17. fonti

fonti

Congratulations - I am very impressed!!
    WOW...

18. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Brian it is a killer version of a roadster! Thanks for being a Porter Supporter!

19. DREW148BHP

DREW148BHP

Awesome man, that interior came out great!!!! How did the show turn out, did you walk away with any awards?

20. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Part 3: Interior, Finishwork and the Big Show

So when we last left off, I was getting ready to take the car down to Austin for Sean Johnstun aka Fatlucky's Interiors to do the upholstery. I'd intended to give Sean a lot more time to do the interior, but after a couple of setbacks in the chrome and paint departments, he only had 10 days to get it done.

Here's the car at the Czech Stop in West, TX on the way down to Austin.

[​IMG]

We dropped the car off at Sean's, and drove straight back to Dallas so that I could get to work on a few other parts of the car that needed attended to.

I'd had Steve drop off the Hedman headers and exhaust from the lakes headers on back to get ceramic coated. SPC in Arlington did the coating, and they did a fine job.

[​IMG]

I really would have liked to chrome the Hedmans, but the ceramic coating just seemed like a better choice for durability.

Another big missing piece of the puzzle was the dash. I ended up being tasked with painting it, and it was not going to be an easy job. After the dash was chromed, I taped off the areas I wanted to stay chrome, then hit it with some scotchbrite followed by self-etching primer and then high-build primer.

[​IMG]

It took a few coats of high-build and a whole lot of careful block sanding before the dash was ready for a coat a of glossy black.

In this photo, it has already been buffed and pinstriped in white to seal the edges.

[​IMG]

The pinstriping on the dash hadn't even dried yet when I took off for Austin to get some more done on the car as Sean finished up the upholstery. I arrived around 4:30pm on Sunday and got to work.

Sean had already finished the carpet, and it looked great. I'd chosen a copper/bronze carpet with gold 'sparkles' that matched the engine color.

[​IMG]

We worked through the night until about 3:30 am, and I went and slept in the truck for a few hours. When I woke up, this is where we were at 7am on Monday morning.

[​IMG]

Obviously we still had a whole lot left to do, and I was planning on leaving for Pomona in less than 48 hrs.

I'd already gotten the exhaust buttoned up the night before, and the gas tank back in place, so I got busy wiring.

Sean had finished up the seat bottom the night before, and it looked fantastic! I finally got to see what the upholstery was going to look like.

[​IMG]

The seat back was next up for Sean, and he started on it straight away. I don't think I've ever seen anyone that works as hard as Sean when he's in the groove...the guy is an animal!

Here he's just about ready to stretch the cover over the seat back...

[​IMG]

Shortly thereafter, we had a finished seat!

[​IMG]

I left the interior layout completely up to Sean, and he came up with a design that fit the car perfectly. I can't stress enough how blown away I am at not only his ability to match the interior to the style of the car, but also at the quality of his work!

By midnight on Monday night, Sean had gotten the interior to a point where he felt comfortable with stopping. There are still a few things he wanted to add or change on the kick panels and firewall panel, and the door straps still need to be installed.

By all accounts though...for the amount of time he was given, Sean delivered an outstanding piece of work. The interior really makes the car.

Here's a look at the interior before the car was loaded up to head back to Dallas:

[​IMG]

So I loaded up the car and departed (at 12:30) for the long solo drive back to Dallas. By the time I got to the shop, it was around 4:00 am, and I was wiped out.

[​IMG]

I went home and got about 3 hrs sleep, and then it was time to try to get the car fired up for the first time.

Before I got started, I rolled the car outside to take a look at the upholstery in the daylight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time to get it started. It was pretty hectic for the next few hours, so I don't have any photos of the action.

I finally got the car fired up around midnight with the help of Eric Carter, and his son Tayden. The 283 sounded pretty killer, but the clear spark plug wires were arcing out badly, and needed to be replaced. I had some cloth-covered wire from the Hot Rod Company on the shelf, so it went on, and the clear stuff went in the trash.

Next Crackerhead Mike came over and helped me bleed the brakes, which turned into another ordeal. Once all the leaks were shored up, we finally had brakes...and it was about 4:30 am. I locked up, went home, and packed. I was back at the shop by 5:30.

About this time, I drove the car for the first time. Once around the block, and it was in the trailer...and we were headed for California and the Grand National Roadster Show. There were four of us taking the trip, and we drove straight through to Pomona. It took 26 hrs.

We checked into the motel, and headed over to the Fairgrounds to get in line. Once inside, we were directed over to Building 3 and we unloaded the car. The car came out of the trailer, and moved for the second time under its own power.

We got the car set up and detailed, and I was surprised to see that a guy I'd known my whole life...George Jezek...was set up directly across the aisle from us. George is from Waco, TX (my hometown), and has always had nice cars. He currently has a very nice '32 Roadster that he just finished, and I felt like it was an honor to have him as a neighbor at the show.

So here's how the car looked on Thursday, set-up day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After we went through the show and checked out some of the other buildings, I went back to the motel and crashed. The next day I had to get up in the morning and finish painting the show sign.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next couple of days at the show were great! The car was selected as one of the ten finalists for the Jalopy Journal "Best Roadster" award, and ended up coming in second to the "Take-out T." We were close throughout the entire vote, and ended up only 36 votes out of first. It would have been great for us to win, but Russ and the rest of the Inland Emperors brought their A game (T game? haha), and deserved to win the award.

Come Sunday night, we loaded the car back up...in the pouring rain...and got a good night's sleep before leaving to go back to Texas.

21. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

We took our time getting back to Texas. As it turned out, a really bad ice storm had hit North Texas while we were on the road...and we ran into it as we were coming into Sweetwater, TX.

The next 225 miles of driving were in some of the worst conditions I'd ever driven in. The road was nothing but a solid sheet of ice, and we saw wrecked car after wrecked car along the side of the highway. After we made it through Abilene, we stopped at a rest stop so that I could rest my frazzled nerves, and hoped that the roads might thaw out a little by daylight. 4 hours later, we were back on the road, and it wasn't any better.

This is what we were driving through...at 10-15 miles per hour...on a major interstate highway:

[​IMG]

You know the road has gotten pretty bad when you start seeing over-turned tow trucks.

[​IMG]

17 hours from the time we hit Sweetwater, and we had finally made it back to Dallas. I went home and tried to relax for a little while.

The next day, I was back to work and took a couple of photos of the roadster before the hood went on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made a couple of aluminum plates to mount the rear hood latches to the top of the frame rails.

[​IMG]

The next day, the hood was on and I rolled the car outside for a look.

[​IMG]

As you can see, it snowed like a son of a bitch the night before. That's Dallas for ya.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next day, I took the car out to start working out the bugs. The snow had started to melt, and the car got a little dirty...

[​IMG]

Now, a lot of people wouldn't even think of driving a car like this in these kind of conditions. However, I am a firm believer in the idea that hot rods are meant to be driven. Besides, it's just dirt...it washes off.

I've got the car cleaned back up now, and have been concentrating on working out the few remaining new car bugs before it goes back to Austin to get the upholstery finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

One of the things I really like about this car...is that when you take a photo of it, unless you're familliar with the build; it can be hard to place when the car was built.

In black and white, It appears that the car could have very well been completed in the late '50s...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with that said, I feel like I accomplished my goal...the goal of building a Deuce Roadster that could have been built in '59.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to follow along, and thanks to Steve for trusting me with building this roadster.

-Brian

23. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

One last thing.

How about a quick revving, gear grinding, tire squealing, quick change howling, railroad track jumping, corner drifting test drive in the "Texas Playboy"?

It makes George say "God Damn!" Haha...

I was checking the clutch adjustment in this video, and it obviously still needed a little more adjustment. :)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lLs-ICIo0N0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Disclaimer: No '39 transmissions or Early Ford axle keys were harmed in the making of this video. Professional driver on a closed course....sort of.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  24. Perfect! The hood really finishes it off nicely.

25. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Congrats man..... I am a big fan!

26. Looked Great At G.N.R.S.
    Looks Grate On The Street.
    It'll Look Grate In Austin.
    It's " Grate "

27. hasty

hasty

Good soundtrack to the film...
    Really great thread, thanks for taking the trouble,
    and stunning car.

28. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

As always, immaculate attention to details and a beautiful finished product!

29. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

bad ass Mr Bass, very bad ass. The video was the icing the icing on the stripper, purrfect.