Register now to get rid of these ads!

A good Flathead service manual??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PipeWelder81, Feb 5, 2011.

1. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

Hey guys, looking for a really good Flathead service manual for my 1950 8BA. Let me know if you have any recommendations

2. Flatman

Flatman

3. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

Hey Flatman, thanks for the info. Those sites have some really good stuff, i appreciate it!

4. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

i WOULD SUGGEST A " mOTORS mANUAL" FOR THE MODEL YEAR.......

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For a stock engine probably a factory service book is best. They detail everything in the engine and don't leave anything out.

I've got a shelf full of how to hot rod your Flathead books and each has it's +'s and -'s. So*e like the Tex S*ith book that is fairly down to earth while so*e of the others assu*e that the reader has several years of engine building experience.

6. Offy 220

Offy 220

I recently purchased a reprint of "Repair Manual - Ford and Mercury V8 Engines."
    It was produced by the Ford Motor Company - Lincoln Publishing. I picked it up at So Cal Speed Shop - I am sure other vendors would have it.

7. moefuzz

moefuzz

Yeah that would be the one I would suggest and I'm sure it's still available new.
    Also, I think someone (Ron Bishop?) took Ford's original manual and stamped his name on the cover and reproduced it as if it were his won.

I don't think much of that kinda stuff and hence have little respect for that type of author/thief.
    imho anything "written" by Ron Bishop isn't worth owning.....

I think you can still purchase the Ford Service Manuals for Flatheads (in reprint) and they are worth their weight in gold.

8. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

yea i would like to have a factory service manual more than anything. Im not hot rodding the flathead right now, just trying to get everything working right and make it dependable.

9. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

10. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

From what you say you should start with the factiry shop manual...it is readily available in repro from all the early ford parts places like C&G: https://secure435.hostgator.com/~dlvry40/ufolder/ShowProducts.php?c=1&s=1&g=2&t=7

From there, there is tons of good stuff, but that shop manual is your starting point.
    Shop manual and the phone # for Joblot Automotive in Queens!

A CD is hard to lay out on your workbench, and Pre-'49 books will not cover the numerous changes.

Most essential books for '32-53 Fords are reproduced; I won't dirty my eyes with reproduction books and have spent zillions trying to get hold of everything, but the essentials like shop manuals are indeed readily available.
    Suggested first deviation from plan: Better distributor!

Here's an earlier thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418293&highlight=ford+books&showall=1