Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New Intake Idea!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raprap, Feb 6, 2011.

1. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I have been thinking about this idea for a while now and thought I would put mouse to pad and model the idea. I work as an Industrial Designer but have been building HotRods for over 40 years. An old dog with new tricks!
    Any way, I run a warmed over 292 Chevy Inline six with 3-Dueces and thought why not run multiple Throttle bodies. It would be cheaper than webers and parts are readily available. Check out the models and let me know what you all think.

RapRap[​IMG]

2. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

3. PeeVee

PeeVee

Looks sweet. What would you use for the throttle bodies ? Motorcycle ? The finish and detail on your drawings are top notch.

4. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Thanks for comment. You could use Motorcycle Throttle bodies. I modeled these after the ones on my 2001 Dodge Dakota.

5. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

I say go for it . . . looks great!

6. willinthe985

willinthe985
    from Houma, La

7. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

i also run a 292 Chevy 6 in my T.. i would love to see more...

8. 21tat

21tat

9. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Looks awsome man ,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

What modeling software did you use?

11. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I use SolidWorks to model and PhotoWorks to Render. These files can go directly to any CNC machine to cut out. Great software.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  12. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This is for EFI I guess. Here is what I did on a Banger. Been pictured here before. I also made one with three throttle bodies for a 261 Chevy and one with four to go on a Buick Straight eight.

Attached Files:

14. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Rich,

That is what I was thinking. How did it run? What computer did you use?
    I need specs!

Thanks, looks great!

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Bad news. I cheat. I didn't use the EFI parts but substutited Hilborn mechanical injection. I have made these things with 4.6 Ford SCHC throttle bodies (Shown) Suzuki throttle bodies. (Shown in this post) 351 Ford F150 throttle bodies. Hilborn throttls bodies and home made throttle bodies. The work just fine and sure beat Hilborns prices. Sorry Stu.

Attached Files:

• IMG6.jpg
      IMG6.jpg
      File size:
      62.4 KB
      Views:
  16. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Impressive computer drawing.

17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Search Hillbillyborn injection. My buddy Jethro on here built his own megasquirt injection for a chevy six. Runs nice and looks killer.

18. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I agree to go for it . They really look great on paper so now you need to make them . They will really be a beauty under the hood as well !

Retro Jim

19. Looks killer to me!! I would liove to have a set up like that on my 6!!

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm of the opinion that done with a semi affordable user price your looking at one of the next BIG things in hot rodding. EFI has been around long enough for just about everyone to have had exposure to it. A basic "kit" using available salage yard components for the electronics and throttle bodies would be a way for young and old alike to get their feet wet in EFI. Lets face it carburetors are on their last legs they just haven't had the decency to roll over and die. It pains me to say that because carbs are all I know and will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the current century. Build it and they will come.

Frank

21. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Injection is great! What I would really like to see is an engine set up with multiple throttle bodies for the classic look, an injector at each port, an oxygen sensor on each exhaust port and a computer that can run each cylinder individually. Some here will disagree with that, and it's ok. I like carbs too, have come to know them, and their limitations.

Devin

22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Here is another one I did for a 3 liter Nissan SOHC V6. For mine I put the Hilborn nozzles where the EFI nozzles should have been. I made the butterfly and put it in the air scoop I don't know why you couldn't grab the entire setup from a six cylinder EFI car and install it on yours. If you go to the Inliners International web site there are several threads by people who have done just that. Some of those guys sound very smart and the conversion seems to work very well. PS the yellow thing pictured here went 231 unblown so it worked OK too.

Attached Files:

23. losthubcap

losthubcap
    from Upstate NY

I love the look & it would probably be better performance, but personally, I'm not ready for a No Carb diet yet !

24. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

After all the comments I have recieved, perhaps a 3 Throttle body system would be better. That way all the intake runners would be lined up for maxium fuel dispersal.

Rap

25. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Not only would that be cool, but it should give a good preformance boost!

Are you making this for yourself, or to also market?

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Couple more I did. Construction shot of the Buick and a OHV four cylinder. No cad cam. No drawing at all. Just start cutting until it looks right.

Attached Files:

27. Doctor Injector

Doctor Injector

I really like your work, I think the Pontiac Fierro Throttle body's might work. The guys over at http://www.slantsix.org have been doing this for a while. Look under the forms, fuel injection. What fuel injectors are you going to use? Its more affordable to go with used Fuel Injectors and have them cleaned and flowed.http://www.doctorinjector.net/7343.html

28. 1- shot slinger

1- shot slinger

I like your 3D work and engineering...but your graphic skills seem pretty weak.

It looks like your "40 Coupe" design on the home page and the concept page is a direct ripoff of the illustration I did for Cole Foster.

Here's my piece I did a few years ago that was used on Salinas Boys shirts.
    [​IMG]

29. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

I went to the bi-weekly car show here in Tucson at Little Anthony's diner last night. A buddy brought in his 57 Chevy wagon with a 283. He had modified an aluminum intake to accept 8 throttle bodies from some type of motorcylce. It became an individual runner intake with a throttle body for each cylinder. The setup was then modified to accept TPI injectors and uses a Megasquirt computer system. A real sweet setup. I will get some photos later. It looked really nice, started easy and ran smooth. Hats off to Charlie!

30. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

How soon what's ripped off is forgotten where it came from...had it happen to me as well...I posted some pen and ink line drawings on the Friday art show... couple weeks later one of my illustrations show up "modified" and as the artist's own work...I called him on it and he got banned...

R-