Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Plymouth / Ford

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by BradM32ply, Jan 26, 2011.

1. BradM32ply

BradM32ply

I am new to the HAMB. I have a 32 plymouth that was given to me by my father. He bought it in 1963. It was a daily driver until I was born in 67. He had it for sale and decided to put it up for me. The last day it was on the road was the day I was born. It has been garaged for the last 43 years. I now have it and am ready to get started on restoring it. Over all it is in very good condition for it's age, especially when I see what miraculous reserections have been done by others. The engine is a 283 with dual quads, allegedly from a vette. The grill is evidently a Ford. I can see where some paint is chipped off where the blue oval was painted over. The cowling was puttied and a different hood was put on in place of the Plymouth hood. Perhaps the previous owner really wanted a Ford??? I think the putty job on the cowling and hood is pretty poor and I want to restore it to the original Plymouth sheet metal.

I would like to know if anyone knows of a source for a 32 Plymouth grill and a 32 plymouth hood? I think I want to leave the hood sides off to expose the engine.
    I have the idea that I can sell the original Ford grill for as much or more than I can buy a Plymouth grill for. Any thoughts on this? I found a place selling fiberglass grill shells for 32 Plymouth, but I want a metal one. I am even open to a reproduction shell, but I want metal.
    From pictures I have seen of 32's, I do not think the rear bumper and tail lights are stock either. Any idea what they are off of?
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Looks like you have a great start on a traditional hot rod! How about some photos of the engine, interior, suspension, etc? I'd think twice about making radical changes to it. It may have some history.

3. BradM32ply

BradM32ply

Sorry, I did not get the other attachments posted the first time.
    Thanks,
    Brad

Attached Files:

4. That's a really cool old car. I was born in '68; I wish my dad had saved an old hot rod for me! Give us some more info and photos.

5. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

6. I built a '34 Plymouth cowl into a roadster pickup; it's still on the to-do list:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

Welcome from New York! I have a 1931 Plymouth Check out my friends most of them are early mopar!!

8. I agree !!! You are a lucky man, Welcome to the H.A.M.B.

firstnomad
    www.angelfire.com/jazz/flatlandstudio

9. Welcome from Connecticut

10. Great looking ride.
    Welcome from Michigan.

11. big bad john

big bad john

.......Nice looking ride.....welcome aboard......

12. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

WELCOME !!! your car has, 49 plymouth rear passenger car bumper. 49-50 ford car taillights , 34 ford pick up grille and hood. I also think your running boards are possibly ford. my 32 plymouth PB coupe is dead bone stock original " atleast when I bought it " and it's running boards do not have the little embossed diamonds or stars. any 32 -34 ford pickup guys want to help ID the running boards ???

13. Hey there from Cleveland Ohio.
    That's a very cool story for sure.
    Great car, and a traditional survivor to boot

14. Welcome to the HAMB. That's a great looking Plymouth. I love those 30's Mopars.

15. oldplymouthsrock

oldplymouthsrock

Rootlieb makes a couple of hoods for the 32 Plymouth. I also know where a couple of grill shells are at. One is $600 I think and the other is $800. Almost impossible to find an original good hood. I have a 32 PB I am working on slowly. Let me know if you want more information on the grill shells.

Roger

16. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Welcome from Canton, OH

Later, Bill

17. BradM32ply

BradM32ply

Roger, I looked at the Rootlieb site. They do not have a picture of the 32 plymouth hoods. Do you have or know anyone who has had experience with them? Is it a reproduction hood? I am interested in the grill shells that you mention. I am not sure if I want to pay that much, but I want to find out more about them.
    Thanks alot.
    Brad

18. RNess

RNess

Welcome to the H.A.M.B. , from Virginia!

19. pumpman

pumpman

Welcome from Union Pier, MI. Sweet car, great dad! Get her running and enjoy, you really have something there, I wouldn't touch it.

20. st.rod

st.rod

Welcome to the HAMB! You will have to pay big for a grill and shell IF you can find one. I bought an extra 6 or 7 years ago and it was 575.00 at the time. Your front bumper is 32 plymouth the rear is not. That car had head light stantions not a headlight bar. If Rootlieb still makes the PB hood trust that it will be nice.. Enjoy the ride!

Larry

21. GREAT JOB Welcome to the H.A.M.B.