Register now to get rid of these ads!

does anyone hav or building a tilt body car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by troylee, Jul 1, 2010.

1. troylee

troylee

Looking for info and pics to get an idea of what I would be getting my self into. I have collected a few parts to build a 60's style drag coupe. Like the Orange Crate , but something or someone that is currently racing. I intend to race it , hard as it will go. I will be building a steel body 30 model a coupe. thanks

2. Search Shipley, he is the master of all that tilts.

3. troylee

troylee

no luck finding Shipley. Maybe someone from the night crowed. thanks

4. fuzzface

fuzzface

I think he meant Jim Sibley. He has it in his avatar and there was a thread on it quite a while ago.

5. henry29

henry29

6. henry29

henry29

7. fuzzface

fuzzface

Oh wow! I never saw the finished car. I missed that thread. If you dig back in his threads you will come across some build picks of that car including how it tilts up.

8. Yep, that's who I was reffering to, sorry

9. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

Boneshaker

Attached Files:

10. troylee

troylee

thanks henry. That chevy turned out nice.

11. Not that I really care but why would you bother doing that with a roadster? Just curious I guess.

It is a neat angle to make it hinge on the front instead of the back.

12. troylee

troylee

Well I have collected the parts to start. Sold the 30 a and made a deal with a buddy and pick up a 32 chevy 5 window. So it begins. i will have to do a build thread.the parts i have and the plan;

32 chevy body (going to tilt it )
    32 chevy truck grille
    60 poncho 389 with 6x2 intake w/97s
    t-10 4 speed
    narrowed 9" w 35 spline axles. no center yet need to figer out the ratio
    old chrome spoke spindles mounts
    chrome reverse 15x10 wheels for the rear old indy dog bone tires.

realy cool air cylinders . super thin and strong, using to lift the body. My buddy Tom hooked me up with. He works for co that. made these some prototype. that got canned. run with a air ride remote set up.
    Some other cool stuff. but I have to build a custom tube frame. that the next piece of the puzzle, as i intend to race it. So it hase to met the tech regs. Thanks Jim for stirrin me up. I wanted to build this since i was a kid.

Attached Files:

13. chaddilac

chaddilac

Beaner.... what gets me is the solid mounted rear axle!!! Hence the Term...... Boneshaker!! :D

14. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

15. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

call Russ Meeks. Milwaukee, OR 503-659-4278

16. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Ok you've got me. I need to see more of this one.

17. Chad
    I never bothered to look past the bicycle tires. I figured ridning on them would make it shake a tone.

I think the whole concept of a steel bodied flopper is a great one. I always figured that there are a ton of bodies light enough to lend themselves well to the concept so you wouldn't need hydraulics or some very large friends to the cause. I probably wouldn't make the doors open if I wanted to do it just for structural integrity and simplicity.

I would want one of those John Force doors in the roof. I do know from experience that anything that can go wrong will and getting out in a bad situation is a good thing.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  18. troylee

troylee

I plan to have the doors welded shut. All the wood will be removed and a tube skeleton put in place. I plan to put a luvered roof pannel in, set it up to pop out for a quick get away or extraction. I picked up an english wheel last year and working my way up to the roof pannel size.

19. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Dude, yer killin' me! Is that the Chevy body your buddy had for sale awhile back?
    I've got 2 flip up body projects in the planning stages : one is a '60's drag-style, chopped, narrowed, sectioned, and shortened, one-piece body, '63 Ford fleetside pickup with FE power, (the body flips up backwards like the Boneshaker),and the second is a '60's drag-style chopped & shortened Model A comp-sedan, with a seperate front flip hood & grille shell, 6x2 Pontiac powered!

20. JimSibley

JimSibley

i have been woking on the concept of a tilt body using a wound spring like that on a garage door. Just a thought. Steel it if you like.

21. troylee

troylee

yeah is the same body. i got it stuck i my head i had to use it. thats why i am looking for 97s. I guess i need to come by the fortress of solitude and check out whats hatchen.

22. Jim just the thought of that thing comming loose and slapping me in the spin gives me the Willys. :eek: :D

Sounds real doable and less weight than a lot of other solutions.

23. Seen at Lancaster, NY

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. troylee

troylee

here is a pic of a 60's racer i was inspired by. I am going the same route but with parallel front spring set up. Brought the body up to the shop yesterday. Today I eyeballed it and my parts to get the vision of what and were I am going with it. Looks like cutting the 2 " s of rust off the bottom and choppin 4 to 5 " off the roof. Prob 4" w a 1-2" channel. Any one have any more pics of the a coupe in the pic? The pic came from the Nov. 2009 hot rod deluxe pg. 31. I was at the 66 winter nats.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      488 KB
      Views: