Register now to get rid of these ads!

OK: How About a POSITIVE HARBOR FREIGHT Thread???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Oh, that explains it. I don't run a guard on my grinder anyway.:eek:

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

In todays news Xi Jinping will become China's next president and is described as 'Redder than red.".
    He is a hardline communist.
    If he clamps down on the capatalist ventures in China, who is going to supply the USA?
    All the guys knocking Chinese products will be happy but hungry
    Heres the article

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,732972,00.html#ref=rss

3. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto
    from Joliet, IL

I have a cheapie 1/2 impact that is utter junk. I will probably be looking to buy a used Chicago (not central) pneumatic that is older to replace it.

Besides that I have a HF MIG. It's the "170" model 220V. I've welded an exhaust system or two up with it using .035 flux core wire, which didn't really go over that great. I need to get gas hooked up to it or I need to size down my wire or both. I got it off an old co worker of mine for $30, selling a carb for him and a hard drive so I'm not going to complain. My last welder was 4 microwave oven transformers used for stick so this is a major step up. The welder is better quality than my welding skill, at the time my welding skill progresses to where I want another welder I'll consider a Lincoln/Miller/etc.

Besides that it's been mentioned a few times, but yeah so much of the stuff you buy any more is just chinese junk anyways. Unfortunately in a lot of cases it just means that people who buy Harbor Freight stuff are just being honest about it.

About the only brand I can think of that is really sticking to its guns on that is Lisle. Their tools are awesome quality, if I was doing this professionally I would buy as much of their stuff as I could. Not only that but they always have that one really odd ball niche market tool that you need such as a set of pliers for removing "internal" snap rings from a transmission.

4. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

now thats funny

5. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I want a trailer from there to use as the foundation for a teardrop trailer.

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

The steel is probably from an old Torino anyway.

7. Mattilac

Mattilac

I've got a blasting cabinet from them for $200. Works just dandy.

8. DWBlietz

DWBlietz
    from California

The best part of harbor freight tools is that you can lay it down and come back in 3o min and it is still there

9. FANTM58

FANTM58

I like cheese !!!:)

10. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

I painted my car with a H.F. gun last summer and it turned out great!
    I'd post a picture, but it is an OT car for this board. ;)
    I used gun #66222.

11. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

See ther ya' go. Keeping it vintage.

12. aintscaird

aintscaird
    from georgia

HF has a great price lots of stuff, buy the warranty when you buy it. I've purchased bottle jacks (less money, better warranty than NAPA) polishing supplies and a pump for WVO. The thing is if you go in Lowes Home Depot or anywhere its hard to find american made stuff anymore.

13. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

What Retrorod said. HF is great for the hobby guy some tools are only good for limited use but for us that are hobbiest they work just fine. I couldn't afford to build my car if I had to buy the best tool for each project. I suspect some of these guy bitching about stuff from China may not be as selective when it comes to other things they buy. For those of you who only buy stuff made in the USA good on ya, I can't always do that.

14. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I have one of there liquid cooled band saws that I got from my old boss. We used it 8 plus hours a day, 5-6 days a week for several years at the fab shop I worked at and it still works like a champ. The only thing that has been replaced on it is the rollers for the blade. Sure it doesn't cut as true as the Ellis band saw that my boss replaced it with, but it does just fine for me.

15. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

just bought a 3 pack of porta band blades there the other day and to my surprise they were "made in the USA":eek:

16. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I bought a 2 1/4 ton floor jack there several years ago. The saddle went lower than the others I had looked at and that was an issue because the crossmember of my truck is pretty close to the ground. I looked at Sears Craftsman jacks and they were Chinese too. The HF one still works great.

17. firingorder1

firingorder1

Crap!! Does this mean we have to start making things again? What was it that you used see on products? Made in ......somewhere. Give me a minute. It'll come back to me.

18. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

cant wait till they start making SBC parts .Which of you guys will be buying those 100dollar crate engines LOL

19. Hotrod7

Hotrod7

we do get some stuff there, trying to think...

jack stands, the orange ones with the white center piece

Floor jacks are hit and miss, we had one of the aluminum race jacks for the racecar that lasted 3 days. we went back and got another one that just recently shit out after about 5 years. Not bad, unless you compare it to my dads o'boy floor jack from the 70's that we still use.

Tarps

Some air tools, we have a couple die grinders from there so you can have multiple things chucked up and not worry about it.

We needed an extra engine stand when big boss got the big block for his 56 so we grabbed one from harbor freight, that thing was a sketchy piece of shit and I was really pissed about it until the one we ordered from summit to replace it showed up, that was a piece of shit too! Now im just pissed at everyone.

Do they really have go-jacks there now? Hot damn ima have to make a trip.

20. thanks for the helpful tips guys looking forward to my first harbour frieght trip in the next month!

21. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Anyone use one o' these little dudes? I need a small compressor...on the cheap (Who woulda guessed). at like $130 or so on sale it looks hard to beat.:confused:
    2.5 HP, 21 Gallon, 120 Volt 125 PSI Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor

Attached Files:

22. HF works in a pinch for the hobbiest.

23. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

That little compressor works great for small things but be forwarned, they are noisy as hell.

24. mastadon

mastadon

You just need to know when you buy from there it won't last forever,but it will get the job done for a period of time.

25. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Their 20% off coupons! <grin>

26. 1ton

1ton

I especially like the generous return policy.

27. Truckedup

Truckedup

I been doing some differential work lately and figured I can afford a hydraulic press to do this stuff properly.I looked around for used presses and found only expensive ones that are way more than I need. A supposedly USA made 20 press is around 700 bucks or more.So.....I took the Harbor Freight plunge...Bought a 20 ton press,the check out girl was real nice and gave me an unadvertised deal,on the press that is,220 bucks with tax and a lifetime guarantee.
    It works just fine for what what I need.I am ashamed at buying Chinese however,my head hangs low...............

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I like everybody else try to buy U.S. made whenever possible, but I had a job that I needed a 30x1" belt sander to do, I had a coupon, they had a sale... Figured I would use it for a couple of months or so and toss it out. It's now four years later, and it gets used damn near everyday - lots!

29. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

The cheap copy of a Beverly Shear works wonderfully for me. I don't cut anything thicker than 16 gauge and it isn't used constantly, but it is working perfectly so far.

30. Some of the cashiers have teeth

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.