Register now to get rid of these ads!

blowing wheel cylinders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NCKalex, Feb 4, 2011.

1. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

i replaced all 4 front wheel cylinders on my 51 plymouth cambridge i replaced one side because it blew and as i tried to bleed it. the pass side blew as well so i replaced those. and after i put everything back together(new) i started to bleed them and one of them blew? its brand new?!?

2. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Do you have the brake drums on the spindle as you try to bleed the brakes? DD

3. Mac_55

Mac_55

Yeah i talked to Ole Cylinders the other day , he wanted me to tell you hi.

Sorry , i couldnt pass up that old joke ha ha ha .

4. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

d'oh! i didnt have the drum on the side that blew. makes a lot of sense now. i cant believe i didnt think of that.

5. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Glad we got that little faux pas cleared-up! DD

6. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

How is Will Silanders doing now that you've taken care of em?

7. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

new problem! the brakes were working fine and i did a little driving. after stopping and going a few times the brake pedal got harder to push down and the car felt like the e-brake was pulled(no e-brake) then shortly after that one of my wheel cylinders blew. what now?

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got enough return stroke?

Bad master cylinder?

BTW...are your drums machined way past the max? Are your shoes all secured correctly? If everthing is assembled and adjusted properly, with the drums on, there's no way for the brake-cylinders to blow.

9. OpposableThumbs

OpposableThumbs

How old are the rubber brake lines in the system? Might have swelled shut.

10. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

the brakes worked fine until i started using them more and more. it felt like i was pumping them and they got stiffer and stiffer until it blew out. smoke and everything

11. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

brand new lines all the way to the back

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh...jeez...that sounds like you're building up a lot of pressure and friction. Enough to detach the shoes and allow the cylinders to come apart. Bad master. I think. Or not enough return-stroke. I think.

13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Smoke??? Fluid had to hit something pretty hot,I dont think it came out of the wheel cylinder.

You did get all your wheel bearings etc. back in correctly didnt you?

14. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

yeah it seems as if the shoes are constantly braking and with friction comes heat, so i assumed when the wheel cylinder blew it hit the hot drum and caused smoke. yeah everything was put back together correctly.

15. Sounds like the drums are cut way oversize and letting the shoes expand too far out till cylinder blows out.

16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not that it would cause a cylinder to blow but do you have the long shoe (pad)towards the back of the car and the short shoe (pad)to the front?

You should have a long pad and a short pad for each wheel unless plymouths are diffrent?

17. sounds like your self adjusters are on the wrong side

18. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

Everything seems fine? It feels like the more I pump the brakes the harder they get till the wheels basically are engaged at all times

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok fro* the top.

1. Are the brakes adjusted correctly? That car does not have self adjusting brakes.

2. Are all of the return springs in place and installed corrrectly?

3. As noted by others are the dru*s within specs?

4. is the push rod on the *aster cylinder adjusted correctly so that the piston releases all the way after you let off the pedal. This I suspect is your proble* now.

If the piston doesn't return all the way in the *aster cylinder the return hole is covered and the fluid will not return to the cylinder properly. You should have a little bit of slack in the pedal before you start feeling the fluid push the wheel cylinder pistons out and push the brake shoes out.

20. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Almost sounds like, from the incorrect nomenclature you've used to describe parts ("wheels basically are engaged at all times", and trying to bleed brakes with the drums somewhere else than installed on the vehicle), that you probably ought to, for your own safety and for the safety of others, find someone close-by with some actual brake system expertise to help you through this obviously overwhelming repair project. This all sounds like it's a little beyond your experience and comfort level. I'm really trying to be as nice as I can about this suggestion. DD

21. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

May seem a stupid question; but do you have a disc brake master instead of drums? I ask because drum brakes need 6-900, where as discs use over 1200 in line pressure; maybe you are slamming the pedal and the wheel cylinder is getting 1200 instead of 6 or seven and your popping or flipping the plungers?
    Pork

22. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

i meant brakes not wheels, thinking faster than i type. thanks.