Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many of you guys are building models instead of your car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carcrazyjohn, Feb 4, 2011.

1. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I should be out working on my car ,But instead Im playing with toys ,I have three models I dont like ,Im using all 3 to make one cool Hemi powered 32 truck ,Chopped the cab ,All I have pics of is the roadster Im stealing parts off of ,The body is a 32 truck and bed , ebay pics 553.jpg The other is a pos 55 chevy drag car with full roll cage ,Pro street ,At least the 32 will be traditional .

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

ebay pics 1110.jpg

ebay pics 1111.jpg Also did 2 of these toys One in black ,Restored to original condition and this cool Blue one

3. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Every once in a while, I get some diecast of cars from the 50's (usually 1:18 scale) And I have some put-together models too....just when I open the box and see those millions of pieces, I think "No way am I finishing this" and put it back in the box and back on the shelf....

4. Deuces

Deuces

I'm working on Monogram's "BIG T" as I'm typing this... :)

5. oldschool55

oldschool55

Always working on something 1/8 scale, flathead dragster right now.

6. fbama73

fbama73

Funny- all of my modeling buddies are giving me a rash because I have spent almost zero time at the model bench since I got the Chevy

7. Deuces

Deuces

Let's see some pictures!! :D

8. Toner283

Toner283

9. sobpunx

sobpunx

I live in an apartment so working on my truck/daily driver is kinda hard so I have been building lots of models lately

10. Master of None

Master of None

I built a model of my truck for cake topper for my wedding, does that count?

11. duke182

duke182

i'm not, and havent built any for awhile but i have enjoyed many a model build over the years.
    i was at hubnuts place the other night and he had one in his model sized yet functional spray booth. maybe he'll see this and post a pic.

12. Deuces

Deuces

I made a spray booth out of an old cardboard TV shipping box... Got plenty of room in there for large scale stuff... :)

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I should be doing this..because its too dam cold out to work in the shop

14. RichG

RichG

No garage, so I've been cutting up some off topic 1:18 scale diecasts :D

15. springer

springer

I had to sell all my 1:1 projects. Four kids and a wife latter all I can afford are 1:24 and 1:25 scale projects.

16. this was a gift. the builder completely customized it.

Attached Files:

• 54 d.jpg
      54 d.jpg
      File size:
      59.2 KB
      Views:
  17. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

I've built about 50 models in my lifetime. None were every fully built. I got lazy, glued the wheels into the wheel wells an glued the hoods shut, etc. I'd buy them out of boredom, play for a few hours, then get tired of being high on glue and put it away to never touch it again. I usually throw them into a big box, sometimes rip one apart to use for parts on another. (kinda sounds like what happens to the real cars too) I still have my first model from when I was a kid though and it's been rebuilt about 10 times in different ways (street freak, custom, gasser, etc)

18. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I used to build models constantly, but reached a point about 10 years ago where I just kinda stopped. Took me another 5-6 years to realize I was not likely to ever do them again. I sold off most of the unfinished kits I had and work on the real cars when I have the time.

devin

19. I have a small area in my shop set aside primarily for model building. Sometimes, the ideas I get while building models end up on my cars.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ...and it costs a lot less to try something in 1:25 scale.

When it is too cold to work in the shop, I can heat up my model area and work there. ...but essentially, there has been almost no model building time for me since June 2010.

A lot of work is needed here before I start on the one below it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. I Drag

I Drag

Funny you should mention this. I have turned back to models after years away. I am so frustrated at my job situation and having no money for real cars that I am going crazy. I figured the only way I can get some satisfaction is to do modelling. So far it is working.

21. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! I know how you feel.. :( Anyway, I did these up for my Big Deuce build that I haven't started on yet.. The wheels and tires are from a Big T...

Attached Files:

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I did models for years. (1949-1956) Real cars came next, (chopped my '36 3 window, built a '30 roadster channeled over Deuce rails, '32 5 window hiboy, and many after that.
    Opened my shop in '75, around '79 a customer came in with a '32 roadster. He had inherited the '32 from his Dad, full-fendered, SBC, old stretched Dago axle, broken '39 box. He wanted to do something, he was hanging out at "John's Graffitti Nite" in San Jose...some guys down there sent him to my shop.
    He had a pic of the car, but wanted a "hot rod". I did a quick sketch of a 3/4 view '32 Hiboy on the blackboard...he couldn't see it. (he could see a 'drawing', but couldn't make out the shape. (!)
    I can draw, not a Chip Foose...but I was pretty good then.
    There was no way I could get this guy to see what I was talking about. I showed him some Rod Action and Street Rodder mags...he just said, "I dunno...it doesn't look like my car."
    He had a strain of dyslexia, I was sure...
    Passed by a hobby shop in Campbell on my way home, strolled in and found a Monogram 1/25 Deuce Roadster kit: "Son of Ford". I knew I had the ticket!
    I picked up 2 more kits, for the engine and other stuff. One was the AMT '53 Ford pickup, for its 'steel' wheels.
    When I opened the '32 kit, I was dismayed. It had the "frame" molded to the fenders!
    I had to cut the fenders loose from the frame, then use 1/32" sheet Evergreen plastic to widen the rails. (2 hours, but it turned into a great black highboy!
    When the guy came back, I presented him with the model. He almost jumped up and down. "Yes! Yes! This is it!"
    Sold the job, any other modifications I wanted to make I did on the model first. He was stoked. Car turned out just like he wanted it.
    Some others dropped in, asking if I did a model of the car when I did a rod...I said "no."
    But I was building again...I now have 500+ models, but can't seem to find the time to really finish many...Have 6 or 7 started, some interesting stuff.
    Von Franco stopped by the shop one day, gave me an AMT original '34 pickup kit. (I had a '34 pickup then, he said "Build the model, Uncle Mike! That seems to be the thing that gets you going on the real stuff...") Thanks, Franco! Still have it!
    I had planned on making a model of every car I ever had. LOL I should live that long!
    I just do a little between time spent on my 1:1 cars...('27 tub, '27 highboy, '27 lakes T, and the others)
    Models are a gift of the Rod Gods. Just think, 1/25 scale stuff of the real stuff! Almost the same!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  23. Deuces

Deuces

Cool story! :)

24. resinjeff

resinjeff
    from detroit

heck, i make model cars for a living...it helps pay for work on the 1;1 valiant wagon.(thats the theory anyway)

25. Deuces

Deuces

26. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

ebay pics 1118.jpg Latest update on the three to make one Drag 34

27. ej1928

ej1928

i do because i have no money for the real thing so i build models and i also do computer generated models to.

28. yekoms

yekoms

I'm buildin' an AMT Double Dragster/Fiat for NNL East.
    Smokey

29. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Lonnie did it backwards.
    Lonnie Gilbertson of the Portland, Oregon area built a 1958 Ford custom when he was young, in the model form and years later his mother found it and gave it back to him so he, with the help of Donn Lowe built the real thing.
    Mike

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

30. Deuces

Deuces