Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early 60's Pontiac suspension questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rex at Lowbrau Lines, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Rex at Lowbrau Lines

Rex at Lowbrau Lines
    from Mesa, AZ

I have a 64 GP with an 8 lug wheel setup. Real Pontiac guys will know what I mean, everyone else will have a confused look on their face. Believe it or not, I want to get rid of the set up. I want the car to look more like a strip or track car with some conventional old school wheels. I was also hoping to upgrade some of the suspension components with maybe a kit from a modern suspension company for early 60's Chevy's.

My questions are these;
    1. What GM body size is my car? A body, F body?? I don't have a clue. This will help me identify the Chevy I can trade parts with and also identify a possible a kit I could use, maybe with a little modification.

2. Does anybody want to buy or trade the old and complete vintage 8 lug setup if you are restoring an old Pontiac or just want to add this great look to your old ride?

2. Kerry67

Kerry67

3. Yup, you have a 'b' body. Not that it matters though. Full size GM frames were all different by their own division back then. there is no reason to refer to them as B bodies as they are not generic like camaro/firebird and GTO/chevelle stuff is. Your frame, suspension and brakes are Pontiac only.
    Nothing inchanges with chebby stuff on your 64. The Pontiac generation concerning you is from 1961-1964. The Pontiac stuff is much better engineering. chebs were still crippled with X frames, 2 piece driveshafts and weak rear ends in '64.

There is quite a market for 8 lug stuff so you will not have a problem getting rid of it.
    I have a dozen or so '64s here at Pontiac Heaven if you want any of the regular parts. Also, there is an aftermarket disc brake up grade available too. there are also front sway bars available. For the rear, a '70-'72 GTO rear sway bar can be made to work. I put on on my '61 Catalina.
    Chevs also have a smaller wheel bolt pattern.

This sat is the Pontiac/Buick/Olds Fall Fest at Speedworld if interested, come on out and say hello.

Steve

Hosting-
    Pontiac/Buick/Olds FALL FEST Sat Nov 28, 2009 Phoenix
    www.pbofallfest.org
    12th annual Pontiac Heaven April 8-11 Phoenix
    www.pontiacheaven.org
    8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! April 11, 2010 Phoenix
    www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

4. Kerry67

Kerry67

Steve,

Rex is my bud and part of the car club I am in. I'll make sure to introduce you guys...

5. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Hey dude......B body .....and you should find some GTO and Catalina parts to interchange with.....but its been awhile.....I don't remember the years......

6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

It's simple enough to change out the 8 lugs, just get a set of regular five lug drums from a 1962-1964 big Pontiac and your choice of wheels (1961 rear drums are the same as well, but 1961 front drum/hubs use ball bearings instead of roller bearings like 1962 and up.) The bolt pattern is 5x5; if you want steel wheels get some 15" ones from a 1971-1976 big Pontiac. There are aftermarket tubular rear control arms available.

7. 4284555sd

4284555sd

I have got to say this. HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MINE. Pontiac 9.3 rear is one of the best rear ends ever made. Stronger than the 9in. Ford. And takes less power to turn. Save your 8 lugs, and do what the man said. ----------------------- I'm going to pray for you. Good Luck to you.