Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking to get into a classic ride

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AngerHeSmiles, Feb 4, 2011.

1. AngerHeSmiles

AngerHeSmiles

Okay, so I'm interested in getting myself a nice classic ride and wanted some recommendations of something affordable, reliable, and easily maintained. I'm currently driving a 2005 Chrysler 300 and am ready to make a change. Any suggestions for a novice with zero mechanical ability?

2. smartass_kid

smartass_kid

don't get rid of your 300, find something cheap to work on, drive when you want and learn to fix stuff.

3. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Welcome to the HAMB. I think a 55-57 Chevy would be a good start. They are easy to learn on and can be great daily drivers.

4. AngerHeSmiles

AngerHeSmiles

thanks for the suggestions...

5. while I can really get behind the spirit of your request, I am with the poster above--don't get rid of your late model just yet. Find a driveable old car and putt it around. Get to know the car, and your limitations before surrendering to it completely. Old cars as daily drivers is a world unto itself (ask Ryan, and many others here) but, unless you KNOW the car, or know you can diagnose/fix it when you're ten minutes late for work and it won't start, you better have backup.

that said, there are lots of different cars than can be fun, reliable daily drivers. Budget has alot to do with it.

6. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Are you the post police? He introduced himself on his 1st post. Get a life dude.
    That said, I agree keep your daily driver. Find something to work on.

7. AngerHeSmiles

AngerHeSmiles

I added an Intro, Mitchell.

I appreciate the advice...obviously I'd only be able to get rid of the 300 if I could find a classic in basically great, working, condition. Sounds like it might be fun to buy a real clunker and try and figure out if I can ever do this myself...pretty unmechanically inclined to be honest.

8. dont buy a project car.
    buy a solid drivable unit with verified maintenance.
    buy something you can enjoy right out of the box and modify to your liking. learn as you go without having to do any major teardowns.

9. AngerHeSmiles

AngerHeSmiles

this is along the lines I was thinking...

10. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

My experience is that 60s cars make more reliable daily drivers than 50s or earlier. By the time the 60s rolled around cars had ball joint suspensions for the most part, drums that didn't take drum pullers to take them off, open drivelines, and 12 volt electrical systems. I would not suggest dumping off your late model just yet, driving an old car as a daily can be a challenge if you don't have any mechanical skills. I drive a 65 Ford F100 as my only transportation up here in the frozen north. It has started when it was 20 below, so far the only trouble that has kept me from going to work I've had was a burnt up resistor wire. I'd start out with an old truck if I were you. They are usually cheaper than a car and easier to work on, a definite plus for the mechanical novice.

11. flatout51

flatout51

Buy a truck. They are way cheaper to buy, work on and restore/ hot rod. But i agree buy a running driving vehicle and keep a daily driver.

12. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Good luck on that part.

As far as no mechanical ability goes, check out your local community college. I am currently taking auto body restoration and intro to automotive metal fabrication at night and on the weekends. Also don't be afraid to ask dumb questions. I have asked a few on here that make me cringe when I think about them now. There is a wealth of knowledge on here.

Good Luck!

13. maniac

maniac

The only dumb question is the one you DON'T ask :)

14. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I echo the advice already offered.

When looking for a ride, factors like how cool it is, what kind of features it has, how much it costs to buy and maintain need to be considered. In addition, carefully consider the vehicle's degree of complexity. Simpler is better, especially if your skillset is very limited or just developing.

I think the advice above to get a truck might be excellent in more ways than one.

15. heywacha

heywacha
    from Orange, CA

I agree with alot of the above. My personal opinion for best price and availability for alot of parts would be a 60-66 chevy truck. Easy to work on, great deals out there, and alot of fun!

16. My best advice is to look at a lot of different cars and decide what fits within your budget.

if you decide you want a pre 64 car or truck do your homework,,decide how much money you can afford to spend on a running car,,with your lack of experience I would lean more towards a running car or truck.

The idea of a project car can quickly become a nightmare and it is easy to lose interest,,

Good Luck! HRP

17. DougHH

DougHH

Can't agree more.
    Start looking at stuff like 55 - onwards chevs
    all of them are common, spares are easy and cheapish, had reasonably reliable engines standard and all are still up to the task of daily driver with a bit of a tickle here and there. earlier chev's are pretty much the same as above too but if i was you wouldnt go earlier than early 50's. Get something in good condition, good runner, take someone you know who knows cars with you to buy, test drive etc etc, and then drive. fix problems as you go, learn about the car that way. Thats how everyone learns.

keep the 300 cause you will have problems with an old car. :)

18. Abomination

Abomination

You know, if you get an old truck, once you get it going you'll have something to haul parts in. ;)

19. Check out any car you're interested in more than once. Have somebody with old car knowledge look it over too. The more common names (Ford, Chevy) will be cheaper to maintain and easier to get parts for. Four doors are cheaper than two. Six cylinders are cheaper than eight. Nothing wrong with them, you just won't go as fast or look as "cool".

Also, stay away from rusty heaps. Look under carpets for ugly floors full of holes or poor patch jobs. A little rust in a fender or rocker panel isn't bad. A lot of rust in floors, roofs, frames, or mechanical parts can be downright hazardous.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  20. Question, do you have to sell the Chrysler to fund a new car? If not, keep it and look for a "classic". My suggestion would be to do some serious looking around to pick out a car(s) then start looking. This is a buyers' market and if you're not in a hurry, time will work in your favor. Do your homework - costs to buy, maintain, fix up, parts availability, etc. Take your time, talk to as many people as possible. I also suggest to come up with a budget that includes buying the car plus fix-up money, they always need something fixed. When you have everything in place, you'll be more confident about making a move. I've seen too many guys just buy the first thing that comes along, and regret it later. I am one of those people; I bought my first car, a '57 Chevy, in the early 60's without doing any homework. 'Turns out the engine was shot, the brakes were bad, etc, etc. I saw the car and it was love at first sight. The seller lied thru his teeth and I got screwed. I learned a couple of lessons from that.
    PhilJohnson's points are excellent.
    Good luck.

21. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

x2.....Trucks are easy and less interior to deal with....buy you a project truck and keep you daily driver!

22. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Also look into the aftermarket support for the vehicle you are interested in. It was never a deal breaker for me but It sure would be nice to be able to flip open a book and find parts.

23. rustyangels

rustyangels

Totally agree on these rides, options are if you can't fix the bodywork, break out the credit for new sheetmetal.

24. BusyTeacher

BusyTeacher

With beginner mechanical skills I would suggest finding a car that has a lot of aftermarket support, probably a Ford of Chevy. While old sixes are cheaper, the old v8 parts can be pretty cheap and easier to find. I would get a few car mags and look at the advertisements to see what brands and models are popular. Then buy one of the less desirable models that fall in that catagory, like a 4 door instead of 2. I agree that trucks are cheaper, but it might increase the fun factor to have a car the whole family can pile into to go to the movies or out for ice cream. I would recommend something like an early falcon or nova.

25. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I didn't see your Intro ,
    And I tried to look at your profile (that was no help),
    just to judge a little about you,

You said you have very little back ground in cars and trucks,
    so I think I would read a lot on this board and try to find some guys in your area of the country to try to get to know and buddy up with,

You are going to have some help or a big wallet to get into this HOBBY..

Its not Impossible but you will HAVE to learn,unlike New automobiles Old cars and trucks take tinkering with ,just about every day..
    Even if its just checking the oil and other stuff that we take for granted on newer vehicles.

You will need to take a crash course and get up to speed real quick on the maintenance stuff..

Its a great hobby and a blast when you get to drive your car or truck,

but its a lot harder then we make it look like,
    believe me even for guys and girls that have a ton of knowledge its very difficult sometimes...

Welcome and good luck...

26. The Shocker

The Shocker

As others have said ,buy a runner or one thats real close for 2 reasons.First off you can save a bundle buying someone else unfinished hotrod.The second reason is you wont need to do a whole lot to get it on the road if you doesnt need alot.The worst thing a beginer can do in my opinion is to buy a beater cuz its cheap and then take it all apart .At that point they will usually realise they have bit off more than they can chew and loose interest in it.I have seen it happen many times.Work on getting it on the road first off (to keep your momentum going) and then personalize and modify it as you have money and time ,but keeping it drivable as you go.As others have said 60-66 Chevy trucks are great to start with and can be had fairly cheap even a shortbed.Another good choice IMO would be a Chevy 58 -64 2 door Sedan ...

27. The Gambler

The Gambler

go to car show or two..take some pics..see what YOU like..not what some stoopid mag or you peers tell you..buy smart and enjoy.and ASK ALOT OF QUESTIONS!I still do and always will, the HAMB is great, you just have to weed thru alot of a**holes to get a good answer or what you need...but in the end its worth it.

28. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

First...I'd look at...

1. Your Price Range
    2. If you have a favorite make of car (Chrysler for example because that's what you drive now)
    3. If you can't afford a good, driveable, solid car, how much time would you have to work on it?
    4. Favorite era - you might want a car from the year you were born or the era you were born or maybe a car that a friend or family member had.

Just something to get ya started!
    -Cody

29. AngerHeSmiles

AngerHeSmiles

This is all great stuff. Thanks to all of you for your input. I like the truck idea and it just so happens there's a local old ford that looks to be in good shape that I've seen around town. It doesn't really fit the idea in my head of long road trips but to start it might be a good option.

As a kid my high school didn't have a shop or any kind of tech class and not knowing anything about how to work on a car at all was always one of my biggest regrets. I also just found out from my wife that she has a family friend that has a business restoring old cars. While he's not local, it might be a good in for me. I'll keep you all in the loop.