Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas Inspections...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Will350z, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Will350z

Will350z

Maybe I'm making this too hard on myself, I've done a tone of searching on the HAMB and the TX DMV/DOT websites and I cant get a damn clear answer...

I just need some clarification when it comes around to getting my roadster (1931 Model A, clean title, etc) inspected (Since it will be done as a classic, not Antique), is it just going to be safety or will there be some smog issue also?

I know in California, that the smogging is tied to the year of the titled vehicle, in this case a 31; so that wouldn't be an issue, is it the same for Texas? :confused:
    If so, then I will probably run with a SBC 350 instead of the 283 (My current 2 options for motors).

2. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

Emissions testing in Texas is regional, not statewide like California. Without knowing your area, the best answer for you is to call a local inspection station and ask them. But generally, outside of the Dallas/ft worth or Houston area, you'll be fine on emissions.

3. JustJoey

JustJoey

25 years and older should be safety only, no emissions.

4. smarg

smarg

Stay away from the metropolitan areas and you should be alright.

Texas is pretty easy going about this stuff.

5. Will350z

Will350z

So, it looks like it shouldn't be an issue with emissions, but how are they about exhaust systems if I'm running a setup like this (I've heard things, that the pipes need to exit after the driver, not before, or is this merely BS):

[​IMG]

6. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Is the inspection for a title? If yes all that is inspected in VIN number

7. Will350z

Will350z

No, the inspection would be because it would registered as a classic and not Antique (I don't want to deal w/making up excuses or worrying about when I can drive it, etc...), I just want to be able to drive it and enjoy it, whenever...

8. JustJoey

JustJoey

9. Dzus

Dzus

It goes by the chassis, so don't worry about the emissions portion, and run whatever drivetrain you want. It's a standard safety inspection.

For cars:
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/inspection/veh_class_list.asp?class=Passenger+Car&classsubmit=Go

What's Inspected by Vehicle Type

Items of Inspection

05.01 Inspect Every Passenger Car For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
    2. Windshield Wipers
    3. Mirror
    4. Steering
    5. Seat Belts
    6. Brakes (system) (Parking - beginning with 1960 models)
    7. Tires
    8. Wheel Assembly
    9. Exhaust System
    10. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
    11. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
    12. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
    13. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
    14. License Plate Lamp (1)
    15. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
    16. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models)
    17. Head Lamps (2)
    18. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
    19. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
    20. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old.

10. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

As the guy up above said, they are very easy here in Texas. My truck is running Antique tags, I have Advertising on the side(a NO NO according to the Antique requirements). I drive it almost every day. I belong to a Club with over 100 members and know of no one who has ever been stopped. That is unless they were being an ass and deserved it.:rolleyes:

11. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I think if your car didnt come with seatbelts you dont have to have them. Mine passed no problem. Brakes, horn, Insurance, some half decent tires.

12. Dchaz

Dchaz

Inspection wise it should just be a safety inspection. I have had 2 different cars with antique plates and have driven them all the time and have not had a cop even look twice,not sure what part of Texas you are in but as long as you're not just tearing up the streets contantly around here they don't care what plates are on it. Oh and I live about 2 blocks from the police station and worked about a block from a Dallas station.

13. Will350z

Will350z

I'm up in Fort Worth and I believe the rule is for things like "seat belts" & "Windshield Wipers" is if it didn't originally come with it, then it's not need for the safety inspection....

With the exception of the essentials (Horn, Headlights/taillights, Brakes, etc).

14. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

California is regional as well...I wasn't aware of this fact until recently when a buddy who lives in a rural area of SoCal told me that none of his vehicles required smog certs.

15. 50styleline

50styleline

As for the safety features, everything is "grandfathered". If it was on the vehicle when sold as new it is required for inspection-mods not included or specified by law. I have a 50 styleline and most everything was listed as an option- I don't think you should have any issues. If the guy is being a prick, show him a printed version of the above links and explain to him that he is requiring things not required by the state. Explain to him that his requirements might prompt an audit by the DPS. He might ease up after that.

16. Will350z

Will350z

I've gotten a few PM's on where to take it when it comes to inspecting it, you know, places that are more hot rod "friendly"!

17. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

Why not just ask the nearest state inspection station ,after all thats what they do .
    also will a hamb friendly station back you up if you get pulled over . just a thought.

18. Will350z

Will350z

A family friend of ours runs an inspection station not too far from where I am at, I asked him about it and he just kind of gave me a blank stare, since I guess it's not everyday that someone asks you about inspecting a car that's 80yrs old...

19. cooger

cooger

Have a 40 chevy & a 55 -in Spring. Had classics on the 40 (chgd. to antique because I didn't want to screw with inspection) and each year was just a "street inspection" for like 12 bucks. Mostly is was giving money to the state so the dude doing the "inspecting" could just look at a street rod. With antique plates, you don't have to mess with that and like the others have said, drive the hell out of it---aren't' you always "going/coming from a repair shop or car meeting???"
    cooger
    p.s.-most cops love to just look at 'em too, plus how in the hell can they be louder than a Harley with a fool on it and straight "screamin' eagle" pipes???

20. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I think your only hangup will be the exhaust system. Unless things have changed in the last few years it does have to exit past the passenger compartment.

21. Will350z

Will350z

So is that subjective to where I get it inspected at, or are they pretty strict on that across the board?

Does that also apply to Antiques?

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well it goes back to the general thing of "is the car safe to drive on the road?"

Head lights, with high and low bea* with high bea* indicator?
    Tail lights that work
    Stop lights that work
    The exhaust exits the body so that is probably not an issue. No chance of exhust fu*es getting in an enclosed body and gassing you there. Your hearing working is your personal issue.
    Tires have legal tread and dot label ?
    No windshield = no wipers but you probably need what ever eye protection the that guys on bikes need.
    Working horn?

Years ago the local inspector whined about doing the T bucket I built but it had everything that the list called for to be legal in Texas at that ti*e and passed without anything but a headlight adjust.

23. Dchaz

Dchaz

with Antique plates they last 5 yrs and do not need the saftey inspection. They are about 60$ and are prorated

24. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Do not go the Classic route, Antique is the way. 5 years at a time. You have no inspection and can run YOM plates or any vintage year you choose I believe after the year on the title. All my cars are this way and have never been stopped and questioned.:cool: Good Luck

25. mastadon

mastadon

bring to H-town,I'ii inspect it!

26. Will350z

Will350z

From everyone's comments, it looks like I should just save myself some time & trouble and just go Antique...

27. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

28. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

Antique plates and be done with it. Never had a problem.

29. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

When you go to register you'll need to ask for a form to run YOM plates. mail a photo copy of the plates, the form & a check. I think I paid 50 bucks but double check.

And you need a permit for the day to drive the vehicle to the Inspection place. I'm not sure if it has to be in the county you live in.

Good Luck

Oh I think the VIN needs to be seen as well. Pre 28 was on the engine. Most A frames had it stamped on the frame just under the or in front of the body on the driver's side.

Shawn

30. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

safety only is right---$14.50. Emergency brake after 1960 model. Belts not required-- I'm 15 minutes from Dallas.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011