Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cruising or Drag Racing which do you prefer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MXrider13, Feb 3, 2011.

1. MXrider13

MXrider13
    from Florida

I agree!

2. MXrider13

MXrider13
    from Florida

Nice

3. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

i personally think all hotrods should stage at the tree, I always liked the saying that the slowest car running at the track still had a better seat than anyone in the stands

4. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I haven't done any organized drag racing, but I imagine I'd like that a whole lot more than cruising.

5. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

Likem both! Our car club recently got together, cruised out to the dragstrip, cooked out and we all took our cars out on the track. Dont matter how fast or slow, it is just a great time to be out on the track.

6. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

I've done them both a lot of my life and enjoy them both. As far as money goes, both can be pricey, but lots of fun.:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

jean, i loved watching your altered run at the "county" back in the day.
    as far as how fast my 1500 lb '23 t goes, it goes exactly as fast as i want it to go! exactly who says how fast a car has to go anyway? i have about 4800 bucks in it, with a mildly stock motor. i don't have any desire to go any faster than 10's, as one gentleman said, certs, physicals, tires, etc. it is a lot cheaper to go ten and under. basically what i was getting at is, an altered will go 10 and under a lot cheaper than a heavier car. i have had my flathead bantam running for 15 years and it has never broke anything and to top it off, it runs a bone stock pinto c4. i have replaced an electric fuel pump, starter, regulator one pair of slicks, just minor stuff. i suppose everybody has something to say about how fast you are, but if your comparing wallets and fun, a slower car may be a different story.
    also, as far as the cost to race, as i said, my program is not that expensive. as far as a cruiser goes, what does it cost for the gas everyday, insurance and registration every year, the danger and damage of accidents, even minor ones to nice paint jobs. not to mention any equipment violations or driving tickets.

8. tom heath

tom heath
    from Enid, Ok.

I work on other peoples cars for a living on mine when i have the time and money , it dont make much sence to go out and tare it up it up , but i hade a 58 ranchero with a 390 and some dumb kid's woud want to run a honda or toyota pick up agenst it , ''now that was fun''

9. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

"jean, i loved watching your altered run at the "county" back in the day."

Thanks Gary, always nice to hear. Sure miss those times and places.:cool:

10. brandon

brandon

i used to enjoy cruise in's and power parking....it just got boring after a while.... been racing my coupe for the past couple years , and actually got it pretty quick for the combo thats in it.... same deal as with cruise in's...you meet a lot of nice people that like old cars. some old cars are just waaaaaaay faster than others...:D

11. MXrider13

MXrider13
    from Florida

I love the Altered man

12. lt1racing

lt1racing

i like them both. although i hate watching bracket racing.
    i love real drag racing as it was back in the day. heads up, no break outs.
    i enjoy the test and tune grudge racing, nostalgia events, and a few classes such as "true street". it involve's driving for 30 miles then racing without opening the hood or working on your car. also LOVE hotrod mag's. "dragweek" events.
    the down side to drag racing is the expense and worrying about wrecking a 30-60 yr. old car thats not easily replaced. i could build a light weight newer car but, i'd be just another foxbody mustang or late model camaro in a sea of them.
    i like the cruise in's (laid back atmosphere, just hangin out) ,but dont care a lot for car shows. seems everyone's picking each others cars apart. also hate listening to guy's lie about how fast their car (never) was, at car shows. (the old story about putting a $100 bill on the dash and no one could ever grab it) or (jumping a coke bottle) or (never been beat). LOL

13. allyoop

allyoop
    from Michigan

I like to do both and have a car that can handle both. I'm afraid my 55 F100 will just be a cruiser for now. I don't think it would do much at the strip haha.

14. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

15. sp1ke

sp1ke

I like both but can only afford to crusie but sure would like to try my coupe against another fairly stock flathead or and 54 chevy with a six in it that is also closer to stock.I ran E/S in highschool back in the fifties and never won but think I could beat some now LOL

sp1ke

16. das858

das858

I've done both for many years also, and enjoy both.Cruising is more relaxing, drag racing is far more exciting and rewarding. I'd like to try nostalgia drag racing, maybe the best of both worlds?

17. 21tat

21tat

Cruizer for sure! Drags are a hoot though.

18. oj

oj

19. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Been drag racing my whole life. 53 now and getting tired of the hassle. Lotta whiners at the track. Been working on a 62 Biscayne street car for about a year now. Just bought a model T coupe body. Guess I'll find out when I get one done. The T coupe is for the street but will be built NHRA legal just in case.

20. MXrider13

MXrider13
    from Florida

Nostalgia drag races usually have people cuising after the first day.

21. 6bblbird

6bblbird
    from New Jersey

How about a shameless plug for the Digs at ETown! Its a cruise night and drag racing for HAMB friendly cars along with live music and cold beer! What could possibly be better? It was a blast last year and its coming back in 2011. Stay tuned for dates and details!
    WF

22. 37 BILL

37 BILL
    from Bristol CT

I grew up with a dad that has allways had some kind of hot rod....he has had his 42 chev scince 62.....Him and I started drag racin in 1982 ...first at Ct dragway with the 42 .....then in 1984 with our 48 Austin...we have takin that car from 14.80s to 10.0s....As much as I love my hot rod....there is no where on earth that I feel more at home...than at the track.....sooo....its drag racin for me ....for sure....

23. zip

zip

Cruising for me, especially with a bunch of cars (but on my own is cool also)!

24. Lucky3

Lucky3

I'm a drag racer :eek:

25. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

26. quick60

quick60
    from Virginia

DRAG RACING!!!!!!! A picture is worth a thousand words.

Attached Files:

27. Patdoody

Patdoody

I alove cruising, I have paid my fair share of speeding and street racing tickets so I am done with that. Its all about rolling slow down the main drag for everyone to see what youre driving! unless I am at the dragstrip then of course its game off, fry those tires.