Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Dazed and confused in south padre island, tx

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

After spending a ton of time on the road traveling for the jalopy journal, I decided my wife and kids needed an island vacation. We drove down to south padre yesterday knowing it would be cold, but we just like sitting in the house and watching the waves anyhow.

Mistake.

Ice storm hit. No power. No heat. Nothing. Bridge off the island is closed. We are stuck. Rad.

Anyhow, if you are waiting on emails or pms from me it might be a day or two.

Sorry fellas. Be patient. I'll be back online soon.

Sent from my iPhone using The Jalopy Journal App!

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

SWIM FOR IT!

Rich

3. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

That sucks. Stay warm.

4. Jay71

Jay71

Go for a surf!

5. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Bummer. Bundle up I guess. At least the iphone still has a charge. Good luck getting back to civilization. :)

6. Frank

Frank

I had no idea the ice storm made it all the way to Padre. Dang!

7. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

If Dirty Al's has a generator that's where I would be.

8. maniac

maniac

DAM......is there any place (other than southern Cal) that is above freezing????

I HATE winter.:mad:

9. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Happy pre-Birthday!!! I sent you an ice cream cake, it should be outside.

10. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Ryan I took my bunch to south padre last spring the crap that rolled up on the beach stunk so bad we had to change hotels it was some kind of sea weed !Sorry that you are stuck keep us posted maybe it will warm up we are stuck at the house today in East Texas we have about 7 '' of powder snow we have been out riding on the rhino and 4 wheelers and freezing our asses off. Wish you the best I hope it gets better soon

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Normandy...

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The Jalopy Journal App!

12. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I had to do my best Rally Car impersonation to get to work this morning but its not that bad here in Austin.

13. big creep

big creep

wow looks just like it with out the bluff.

14. el shad

el shad

Read your signature. Ironic since Ryan is stuck.

16. el shad

el shad

RoadFarmer. That sucks to hear. Best of luck to all that this has affected!

17. I hope that you get power soon and can enjoy the quiet and solitude of Padre this time of the year. For many years my wife and I went to a family house on the West end of Galveston in February for that reason. No crowds, cool but not cold weather, good way to clear your head of the daily routine of life. Next time around you might want to rent a condo. In the off season they're often cheaper than hotels and some of them have fireplaces.

18. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

Ryan, Just head on over to "Parrot -Eyes" and relax...And tell Mark I said hello.:)

19. Mac_55

Mac_55

Man that is a neat picture . Even tho its bad weather i can see why a guy would want to spend some time there.

Ive never seen the ocean . Something id like to do one of these days...
    Hang in there , weve got a total of about 2 inches of ice on the ground here .

20. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Try to keep the family warn some way(build a fire in the living room). And I thought the 7+ inches of snow we have here in North Texas was the pits. Think those Yankees who came down for the Super Bowl brought it. Lots of folks loosing a lot of money on this weather around here this weekend.

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That picture is rad! Just something about the sea and the sand with a light dusting of snow... Oh, the Normandy thing too... Stay in, build a big fire, drink a bit, and look out the window!

22. terryble

terryble
    from canada

It is indeed an ill wind that doesn't blow somebody some good! It is sunshiny and 0c (32f) here, snow is melting, normal -11c (20f). Saskatoon SK Canada.

23. onedge

onedge

I got such a kick out of the local crazy evening weather man last night going all the way to Brownsville and showing the ice freezing rain crap....then I thought of you posting something about the temp being 26 or something close the other day.

SPRING WILL COME.:) Hang in tough...

24. Galaxie Man

Galaxie Man

hey ryan ,everything shut down in bryan texas to.we have power but lots of ice and about 2or 3in. of snow .just relax and enjoy.it wont last long here in texas

25. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I remember a Playmate from S Padre Island back in the '80s. Other than that, never been there. Find a way to enjoy every minute anyways.

26. 21tat

21tat

That's rare in Corpus! The wife and I had the same thing happen to us back in '79. Amazing with all that sand they don't have any to put on the roads. Have fun down there.

27. 50styleline

50styleline

Ryan, hang tight. I am just up the road form you and things should get better by this afternoon. We are not used to the cold here at all. The infrustructure is not equipped for anything below freezing. Check with the chamber of commerce and some of locals might have family evets set up indoors that have not been advertised.

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm back fellas... I've got a few thousand emails and a few hundred pms to answer, but I'm on it!

29. Me too !

30. b-bob

b-bob

It is around fifty degrees here in the Vancouver B.C. area today. No we don't all live in igloos up here haha. It helps to be near the Pacific ocean though.