Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model car...box art!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Dakota Boy

Dakota Boy
    from Racine, WI

I've got a "TV Tommy" Ivo dragster at home ready to be assembled...

Building these models are more fun when you're a "grown-up" and have your own money. When I was a kid, I was lucky to have two or three paints to use. Most of my stuff was pretty rough-looking...:D

2. 57peppershaker

57peppershaker

FANTASTIC pic :D

3. 57peppershaker

57peppershaker

Kinda like this one myself :D

Attached Files:

4. squirrel

squirrel

I looked in my collection, I have the original decals for the Revell 55 chevy kit, in real nice shape....click for the higher resolution scan (600 dpi)

http://www.selectric.org/55chevy/decals2.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Deuces

Deuces

You can still buy the "Big TUB" new at your local hobby shop or on ebay...

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Haven't seen this one posted. I don't have many but this is one of my treasured boxes...

Attached Files:

7. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

It's been a long time since this thread came up. Here's a few more examples of cool model car box art.

Attached Files:

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That T-cup modified pickup is bad ass.

9. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

WOW, just found this thread. I dig this one...

Attached Files:

10. WCD

WCD

[​IMG]

[ In drooling over the box art, I see a kit that really catches my eye: The 4 Banger Dragster. Thats Vic King's Midnight Spl. a car that ran, as noted on the kit, in X/D. Dave Wallace found posted pictures of the car in its formative stages, asking readers if the could identify the odd looking creation. Ii knew it right away and E mailed him, but never did I suspect someone (well Lindberg) made a model car kit out of it. The version depicted on the box is when King ran it with a Hispano-Suiza aircraft motor. I saw it in the very 70's when it ran a model B block with a OHV Gemsa head. Note how even the free wheeling front wheels emit smoke becuase of the massive power being emitted from the motor-smile

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  11. Does anyone have the 70 GTO funny car kit called the Billy Goat? It is an mpc kit and th car is white. If anyone has this, would you please share it here?

12. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Attached Files:

13. Hi Pete,
    Hoping you are well and thanks for the reply. I have that 71 kit in my collection but, will check the link you provided. Take care

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

built this one and the matching sedan delivery more than once. had the box art haning on my wall when I was a kid. too cool.

[​IMG]

15. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Steve,
    Good to hear from you! I've looked in several places and found many different GTO model kits but none for 1970. I hope someone can come up with a picture of one, or at least the box art. In the meantime, stay cool, look out for rattlesnakes, and have fun exploring the beautiful canyons in Arizona!

16. luciomduran

luciomduran

These are photos of MPC's "GTO Goat Funny Car" which was MPC part number 727.

17. biscaynes

biscaynes

18. Here are a couple that I have. The first one I flattened and framed the last one is the only one I did not see here.

Attached Files:

19. ...this stuff is all cool; ...BTW, in the latest issue of Elapsed Times ( just out this week, by Car Craft magazine)....there's a great 8 page article on vintage model box art featuring mostly 60's- 70's drag cars. etc. Make sure you grab this issue,...it has the Stone/Woods/Cook funny car on the cover.

20. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

Yes, I saw that. Great magazine. This is the 2nd annual. Great archival footage from CC magazine. A great addition to Hot Rod's HRD

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I bet I built 10 of these, but I don't have any orig boxes. Can anyone give a good guess-timate on the color of the "16 B/A" version? Copper? Gary

[​IMG]

22. docmike

docmike

Who remembers ordering kits, parts, and tools from the Autoworld catalog?

[​IMG]

Doc

23. ALLISON

ALLISON

Awesome thread, I love box art!!!! About 6 months ago I was lucky enough to get hooked up with a guy from AMT-MPC. He commisioned me to produce this, the first of many more, illustrations for 1/25 slot cars... if you'll notice, it has the slot car wheels... This isnt my normal style of art and it was tricky to duplicate that sixties ad art look I needed to produce... from this piece I did it went on to have all the box info added and is supposed to be coming out in the next series of slot cars.... I cant wait to get started on the next batch of stuff, which is supposed to be some stuff I get a little more freedom with...
    Want to see more?? check out my HAMBodex, Facebook, or web site.. www.jeffallisondesign.com

[​IMG]

24. ALLISON

ALLISON

Not a real kit, but this is the box cover for an award me and a fellow Emperor put together years ago... back when AMBR was still in the Cow Palace
    [​IMG]

25. ALLISON

ALLISON

and one more fako box.. this one we did up for Billetproof about the same time...

[​IMG]

26. Thanks a bunch. That is the one I am looking for. Have most everyother one. I built this kit as a 10 year old kid and still have parts of it but, the box is long gone. Hoping to find one someday.

27. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Allison, those box art designs you did are really cool.

Here are a few more examples for your viewing pleasure..

Attached Files:

28. skywolf

skywolf

29. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I never saw that as a kit when I was a kid. Very cool

30. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Where it all started for me:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks Tom!