Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trying to find some history on my 32

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopt 34, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Last year I acquired a chopped and channeled 32 3 window that came out of Canada, Chatham Ontario area. Some of you may know I am always searching out old survivors like everyone else on here, but part of the fun is the research, looking through archives and meeting new people. Here is an interesting new twist that just happened this week during my search. This may sound like I am getting off topic but it lead up to an interesting story. I decided to sell my 34 3 window after I purchased this old chopped and channeled 3 window which ironically ending going to Canada. It went to a super nice guy and we have kept in touch. He told me his father used to drag race and was really in the car scene back in the 50's. Just this week, my Canadian friend said his dad did not remember a blue 32 that matched my description, but he sent me some old photos he scanned. One was a chopped and channeled 32 coupe, and I am almost 100% convinced this is the same old car judging from the way the fenders were leaded to the quarters, the chop, the headlamp brackets and plus it is Olds powered with three deuces! Even the generator bracket is the same. What are the odds of that!
    Do any of you recognize the old drag car with the GB-20 written on the side? I would like to find out a little more background of this car. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for your time!

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  2. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Sharp looking car :D

3. Can't say for sure , but I imagine the GB on the door stands for Grand Bend dragway which is would be about an hours drive from Chatham.
    I'm following up on a few leads , but can't promise anything .
    I believe the Chatham area car club at that time was the Satin Shifters , just some info that may help someday .
    Jim

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  4. First of all hey beantoad how ya doing, haven't seen you in awhile hope all is good with you. Now about the car I don't recall ever seeing it but that don't mean anything. I do know alot of the old satin shifters and I will definately do some digging into it for you Chopt. If you could pm me your friends name up here in Chatham I may know him. I will see what I can dig up for you....Dave

5. No info... but in the old pic it looks like the intake is 4 deuces to me, judging by the carb spacing. Either way, the body sure does look like the same one. Cool car, I like those bobbed fenders.

6. Thank you for the leads guys!

7. Yes, it could be a 4 carb intake.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Definitely looks like a 4x2 Horne or Cragar type intake on the old pics. None the less they look pretty spot on. Great looking car!!!

Geesh, that's two '32 with molded rear fenders finding making their history known in two weeks!!!!

9. We are still searching , cross your fingers !

10. I also signed up on the Canadian Rodders board to broaden the search. Thanks for your help!

11. kisam

kisam

Wow! I love the car - that chop is perfect! Sure looks to be the same one. Good Luck!

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Good luck on your search. With so many things on the car matching the old photos I can't see where it's not the same car. Be sure to keep us posted as the mystery unfolds.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I remember that car selling on ebay, that was a good buy. I always wondered where that car went, sure wish I could find a unchopped, channeled 3w coupe. At least your having better luck on finding out some history on your car, my 32 roadster must have some history to but no luck, great find.

14. Update: The Canadian Rodders really helped out. I was told this coupe was built in the
    50's and raced at the Cayuga Raceway where that photo was taken. The gentlemen that turned built it into the 60's show rod was Kenneth Wilson and remained with the family until he passed last year. The local rodders up north are searching if they can verify who the original builder was, who did the chop, channel etc. Hopefully even some more pics. They told me many of the original club members of the timing association at the Raceway still regulary get together, we are talking 60 years! That is pretty cool.

15. Jim, I did not think about this until today when I was working on the car this afternoon.
    You are right about the car club. There was a gold plaque on the floor of the car that had the 'Satin Shifters Car Show" printed on it. Here are a couple of new photos that I took today, I had the carb tops rechromed and the Edelbrock manifold polished. Aaron Kaufman fabricated the rear nerf bar that matches the drilled front shock mounts. I forgot to take some outdoor pics of the recently chromed rearend. It was just great to get it back on the road again today.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
    Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Hi Chopt, The Satin Shifters were definately a Chatham club with a lot of original members still around. I am looking into a possibility now but I think it's the wrong car,but we'll see. I'm gone 12 hrs. a day so it's a little hard getting a hold of some of these guys but I'm still looking into it for you...Dave

17. Thanks Dave! The Canadian Rodders forum have really been helpful and supportive.
    I appreciate your time.

18. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Just saw your chopped & channeled coupe tonight in the new issue of Rod & Kulture magazine. It's absolutely awesome. I've loved hot rods since I was a little kid, and it's not often something comes along any more that excites or inspires me. But that coupe definitely inspires me. Awesome build!

19. Thanks Willys! I am glad you like the car, I really enjoy piecing the history together as much as piecing the cars back together on these old survivors for others to enjoy and give credit to the original visionaries that built these old hot rods.

Stay tuned.. I am really close to finalizing the deal on another survivor that was very influential to me when I was a teen. I have been searching for this one on and off for the past 9 years. This is absolutely going to be the wildest car I have ever owned.

20. slepe67

slepe67

ARGH! I've been looking for this car in here since it came out in R & K! I quit my search, and tried to find threads on bobbed rear fenders, and BAM! Here it is!

First off, congrats on getting your car in R & K! I am in love with that beautiful ride! To me, it is a perfect hot rod in its purest sense.

I may PM/harass you for information in regards to your car. I had the exact same mental picture for my 32 5W, minus the chop.

One thing I have to know: what are the wheel and tire sizes??? PLEASE? This info will get my project rolling!

Again, GREAT CAR!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  21. kerlie

kerlie

22. brady1929

brady1929

Old thread, but cool hot rod.