Register now to get rid of these ads!

Today I start building my AD.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xmlc216x, Oct 24, 2010.

1. cassml1

cassml1
    from MS

Looks great! Looks like you would have plenty room for a fan behind the radiator on the water pump if you wanted to go that route.

2. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Was looking at houses most of the weekend with my wife but I did manage to put some coil springs in the front and get one running board halfway mocked up to make brackets
    [​IMG]

3. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

4. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Got the passenger running board installed tonight. Used the shortest stock bracket in the middle spot and it worked perfect there without cutting. Gotta do some customizing on the other brackets as some things are in the way.

Also started taking the steering column apart to see if I can clean it up any.
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    As of now:
    [​IMG]
    I can't figure out how to get it apart any further... Help?!

5. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

dt50chev came through with an excellent tech link for GM tilt columns... I figured I would share it here to help anyone else who may attempt the same thing as me with a column.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088020.html

Excellent break down of the parts and how they go together...

6. reaper71

reaper71

She's moving along! i think the grill looks sweet! i had a similar idea for my A.D but a little different twist added in. anyways looking good.

Mark

7. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

In my never ending search to practice fabbing things and save money at the same time I decided to use the GM tilt steering column that came with the s10 frame and my 54 pickup body. Well I know how you guys feel about tilt columns and it was just down right hideous to begin with. So, I decided to fab my own steering column using the gm column and a few metal pieces I had laying around. Here's what I started with:
    [​IMG]
    And here is an article to help get it apart:
    http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088020.html

Using that info I was able to get the shaft out and here's what I'm working with:
    [​IMG]
    On the left is a scrap piece of 1" DOM tubing, in the middle is the steering column shaft that I've already cut into a few pieces, and on the right is actually a galvanized chain link fence post. I think the sticker said 1-5/8" but it may be like 2". I'll have to check on that later and get back.*

So I cut the top of the shaft into a few pieces so I could flip the bearing race around.*
    Original order
    [​IMG]
    New order
    [​IMG]
    Then I slid the DOM tubing over the shaft hammered it flat on the sides and welded it all the way around.*
    [​IMG]
    Then I flipped the next piece around and slid it into the DOM
    [​IMG]
    Then I welded the splined end back on.*
    [​IMG]
    Overall for my application I think i ended up lengthening the shaft 3-4"
    I used a bearing race from the original column that magically fit and I dimpled the tubing under the race so it wouldn't slide down.*
    [​IMG]
    Last but not least I sleeved the lower part of the original column over the new tube because it holds a bushing and gives me a flange to mount to the firewall. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the bottom side with the original bushing and clip attached
    [​IMG]
    And here it is mocked up*
    [​IMG]
    Once I get a suitable steering wheel, I'll build a trim piece around the top of the column. And once I build floorboards and the lower half of the firewall I'll finish the flange and bolt it in. Tomorrow I'm going to build a hanger for the column under the dash.*

Hope this can help someone! It cost me nothing and it looks a ton better than the tilt column!*

8. reaper71

reaper71

looks pretty nice a little clean up,spit and shine! Hell ya!! good job.

9. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Thanks man did you get the picture thing figured out?

10. reaper71

reaper71

not yet i have'nt messed with it much but thanks for the help...

11. POD

POD

I like the column. Very creative!

12. reaper71

reaper71

Hey it's kinda funny i had to work on a customer's column yersterday. it was a tilt out of late G.M. and had a 41 ford wheel went through hell making an adapter but it came out pretty sweet...:cool:

13. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

14. oldman2

oldman2

Hate to see the pickup go, but your the boss. Good luck on the new project.

15. reaper71

reaper71

WOW!!!! WTF was that all about my man i was amped to see your ride getting closer to be a driver!!!!
    That being said good luck with your project

16. dropped53

dropped53
    from Hanford CA

I'm confused, what's going on?

17. ZRD

ZRD

Was glad to meet a fellow HAMber this weekend, and do a lil horse tradin. Don't worry guys The truck is in good hands, and I am looking fowrd to working on it. I will keep you guys updated, but I have a few other projects in the shop to finish first.