Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Dads 51 AD Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NoClassic, Aug 24, 2009.

1. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

I had posted this in the intro section but did not have much in terms of updates until just recently.

My dad bought the truck and I have been helping out when I can make it back. He wants something he can drive on a daily basis and a sub thirteen second quarter mile would be nice as well.

The cab needed a new floor, cab corners, and firewall. All of the body parts are now mounted and we have a rough idea of desired final ride height with the tires we will be using.

I will try and get more photos when I get back with the truck and make some progress

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

51 3100
    87 S10 SBSC
    --extended frame to fit body

Here is the plan now that we have the body positioned.

Motor/Trans
    LQ4, L33, or LY6 if we can find a deal on one
    4l80e
    -He has mentioned a turbocharger, but I dont think has the pocket book right now.

Rear
    Ford Explorer 8.8 w/LSD and disk brakes
    -Already broken down for mock up. It will be getting the tubes trued and welded along with a freshen up.

Front Suspension.

RE-7 bags w/SD weld in cups
    shock relocation
    new bushings and links

Rear Suspension

SD triangulated 4 link
    RE-7/RE-8 bags
    -My dad wants to avoid a frame notch to preserve bed depth. We may be able to get away with a small one, but I doubt go without.

Right now we dont have any plans to have any real time control over the air system. He is old and "hitting sides" dosnt really appeal to him. We are hoping to be able to get away with a shrader and ball valve configuration to hold a static pressure in the front and rear.

Wheels and Tires
    Diamond Racing w/smoothie center
    --15x8 3"BS & 15x10 BS to be determined, thinking it will be 4-4.5"
    --Welded tabs to hold 6 5/8 baby moon caps
    295/50/15 - 265/50/15
    --We may need a taller front tire, and the rear will need a small set of tubs.

Brakes
    98+ Blazer 2 Piston

2. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

3. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

We picked up a couple motors this weekend. We settled for a 5.3l, but found it for an excellent deal. With the price we gave I think we are going to be able to afford a T56, which I like the idea of much more than an auto.

We got an 04 L59 for the truck.
    [​IMG]
    This image is actually another motor we picked up at the same time. Also an L59 but an 03. Its for sale if anyone needs one.

My dad finished the cutting for the front bags. I think he has images which ill try to post this evening.

Next on the list is the rear 4-link. We had a slight change of plans as we are going to build a parallel/panhard configuration.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  4. mg98ta

mg98ta
    from Denton, NC

Keep us posted on progress. I love the AD trucks (have several myself) and the Gen III LS1 engines. The best of both. The truck should look good when it's done.

5. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

Ill try and update as frequently as possible. Things may be a bit slow with the 4 link having to wait until I am back over the holidays.

Here are the images of the cutting for the front air bags. I had not seen this installed until these images. It looks like more material needs to come off near the rear. It seems like countless s10 guys have no issues with no bracing after cutting as much as you must for these bags. However I think I may box the interior volume of the frame in that area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  6. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

I guess the truck wont be getting a T56 after all. I did find one for a great deal but it will be going in my beater.

My dad wanted everyone in the family to be able to drive it which means an auto. It works out well because we can just use the 4l60e we are pulling out of my car.

While I am away for the semester my dad is going to try and handle the motor mounting situation and fabricate a transmission tunnel. The mounts will be ordered next week so expect an update next weekend.

7. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

Looks very promising. I like it.

8. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

Thanks.

I wish I had more updates. Maybe we can get the 4 link ordered in the next month or so.

9. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

Progress has been slow with me being away at school.

I was back for a couple weeks during the summer and we got the design done for the rear suspension. We got one side done and I returned leaving my dad to finish the other and wrap things up. He just sent me some images of where he is at now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There will be further frame rail and mounting tab boxing and a X support to replace the mid mounted stamped one we removed. A small notch is in order, but it looks like we should be able to use the stock shock mounts if relocated. \

I am considering a front support for the axle plate truss. If the speed sensor is removed it leaves a nice hole that should work well as an anchor point to the diff housing.

We also picked up a toyota electric power steering setup including its control system. Ill post more about that when I have time for it.

Criticism is welcome. I am sure we did something wrong being my first attempts at triangulated 4 link design.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  10. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

lookin real good, only a couple of things i heard, the no or very little notch, that will have to remain to be seen, usually those trucks take alot of notch, but just see....and no control for the airbags, it can work, but u better hope u never have a leak or even all the way down you can still drive, from my experience, airbags take alot of air, and u can get a leak at anytime and sometimes a pain in the a.....but hell, looks real good to me.....i`d do it just like that myself, cept control for the bags and if i was putting bags on it, i`d make it lay the frame......

11. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

There really is no need to lay frame with the options you have when mounting the body to the chassis. The skirts and fenders are going to be on the ground long before the frame.

I do agree with you commentary about the need for a compressor and tank for the bags. I bet we end up adding one in the future.

Like I said we are going to have to add a small notch. Hopefully we will only sacrifice a few inches of bed depth.

12. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

i got ya, sounds good, keep up the good work....my only point with the layin frame is you don`t really want the body below the frame if it will go that low, that way you hi body before frame, but hey, its yours and its lookin good so far....

13. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

I forgot he did the front shock mounts too.

[​IMG]

Also none of the final welding has been done. We are waiting for a new breaker panel so we can get a proper machine in the garage.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  14. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

My dad got the fuel tank mounted last week.

[​IMG]

15. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

Bit of a change in plans. I found a cheap T56 so I guess its going to be a 6 speed. We also changed the frame side mounts and got the rear shock mounts made.

We will have it rolling before the holiday, and ill post more images then.

[​IMG]

16. POD

POD

Any updates?

17. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

We ended up changing the chassis side suspension mounting points. Also finished up the small rear tubs. They are half way done in the image. Floor and transmission/driveshaft tunnel is now done.

A couple weeks ago we picked up the rear end from being assembled. It has a new set of axle and carrier bearings along with carbon clutches for the differential.

I still have not seen the work in person but it looks like the guy did a fine job on the tube and bracket welding.

We also found out the second T56 I picked up had a bad main shaft and 6th gear. I ended up trading it for work on one I had rebuilt for my car. I think we are back to picking up an auto for the truck.

We now have 220 in the garage and an Millermatic 211 should be had within the month. We hope to finish welding the rear suspension in and boxing the frame while I am back for spring break.

The gasket is temporary until we finish welding the upper link truss.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  18. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

Frame boxing and finish welding is done. The motor is in its final location and the transmission mount and tunnel are complete. Next up is the column and steering linkage then on to the pedal assemblies and brake system.

The wheels arrived and I have been researching finishes for them.

[​IMG]

19. 5150 retired

5150 retired
    from norcal

Glad to see your still with it. Looks good.

20. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

Thanks.

I wish we had completed more over the summer, but some work on my own car took a bit longer than expected.

We finished putting together the brake parts list tonight and should have those parts ordered tomorrow.

21. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Always watching the A/D Builds....looking good!

22. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I have not read the whole thread so forgive me...that said the AD's (in stock frame trim....and I would ASSUME in a reframed version as well as the dimentions will be at least similar) are pretty much channelled from the factory....the running boards and bottom of the fenders are I believe 5 inches below the bottom of the frame....(not home right now rough estimate from memory) Kinda hard on an AD not NOT hit the body before the frame....

23. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

Salty you are right on in regards to the cab to frame mounting height.

The tank is from an early mustang. I confirm with my dad the specific year.

All of the brake parts arrived so we should have the master and pedal mounting worked out soon enough. Then on to plumbing.

The wheels also came back from blasting so they got some epoxy primer. Still unsure on color.

[​IMG]

24. in the first 2 pics, it looks great already. I like your choice of rims too.

25. jipp

jipp

nice truck, in the 90s while i was going to college i built a 1950 5 window.. steak bed.. used a 70 nova for parts sub clip etc.. the gas tank out of that fit perfectly like your mustang tank.. they make great rides.. hope the whole family enjoys it. i dunno where my old truck is, but im sure hope someone is still driving the piss out of it.

o yeah, i boxed the frame rails too.. iv been told you should not box frame rails on a truck tho.. shrugs.
    chris.

26. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

Thanks guys.

The Diamond Racing wheels are hard to beat for the price. They dont show on their website but they offer a smoothie solid style center in custom width and backspacing as well.

We would have liked a more traditional center, but needed room for the larger blazer brakes.

27. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

My had had the tires mounted this morning and checked the fitment. The rear fender will need the inner lipped rolled, but overall I like the fitment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

love a good AD project,wish mine were moving that fast keep changing my plan. i will be watching this one.

29. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

We have still been making steady progress on the truck.

The brake and fuel system is not complete. Radiator is mounted and we found some formed hoses that fit. We were able to retain the mechanical fan which I like.

We picked up a late model suburban third row seat and widened its frame. It just came back from being covered. The glass is also all installed along with the door seals.

Also found a set of manifolds that fit so we can continue with the exhaust and steering linkage.

Ill be back next weekend and will grab some good images of everything.

30. Dizzie

Dizzie

I'm kind of partial to the AD trucks. Yours is looking great.