Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rolling Power Outages In Texas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 2, 2011.

1. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

2. Jimm56

Jimm56

In Texas, most of the power generators run on natural gas (no, not from beans, the other kind) and when the weather gets this cold, people, who also heat their homes with natural gas, use more than the gas company can supply. Therefore, the power generators have to cut back when they can't get natural gas to run on. So we get rolling blackouts, natural gas to residences, but now current to run the heater blower.:-(
    2:45 PM in Texas City, it's 32 degrees!

3. hey it was 12 degrees last night and of course we are almost out of wood for heating.. blech!

4. pcterm2

pcterm2

nice vid Ryan-it was about 13 degrees here in dallas this morning

5. Seguin is still on at least where I live 6 minutes from the Dragstrip. But my 37 sits outside because my trailer trash shop is bowing to the wind out here in flatland.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15 degrees F in Central Texas = -20 in Minnesota or Alaska for feeling cold. At least when I lived there I felt colder at 15 or 20 above than I do at 0 here. Jean talked to her Mom in McGregor this morning but she didn't say anything about power outages.

7. RichG

RichG

Subscribed... just so I can find all the other cool threads later :D

8. dt50chev

dt50chev

Was 16 degrees here this morning. Coming home from Mens Bible Study at my church when my wife texted me that the power was out. Found out there was rolling power outages-supposed to last about 10 minutes and contact the electric company if they last more than 15 minutes. About 3 1/2 hours later the power finally comes back on. My 2 year old was running around the house in mittens and a hoodie.

9. There was a story about a guy attemping to steal carboard window patterns for a model A from a tough HAMB guy ... I believe that the outcome was something memorable ...

THE STORY TELLER IS NOW ALMOST WITH OUT POWER.. and the other guy has not posted lately .. I miss his traditional wit

10. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Trickle your hot and cold water so it doesn't freeze, just a touch. You guys don't bury your sewer and water services but a foot deep, you will be in for some real bad news if you stay cold for more than 48 hours and a frost sets in the ground. Trust me.

11. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'll let the pictures do the talking..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yeah, I obsess over Bass' threads a little bit (who wouldn't?) but I enjoy everyone else's just as much. I'd take a screen shot of the entire list of build threads I have saved to my iPhone, but I don't want to clutter up this post.

All of the picture threads do it for me too.. The drag cars in motion thread, favorite Model A's thread, etc.

12. On the news earlier they said we would be getting extra power from Mexico. They will find a way to get here from china soon.

13. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Those two threads are a couple of my favorites as well as a few others on customs and "A"s. Always enjoy seeing new posts to them.

As for the weather...it was MINUS 24 degrees when I went to work this morning! The snow has been 2 to four FEET deep every where you look for two months. But the power has never gone out so it's been good rod and custom building weather out in the shop. I've got quite a bit done on the '35. Spring will be nice to see.

14. TooManyToyz

TooManyToyz

Yeah, but the power is being delivered by Mexican trucks, so it should arrive in Houston by July!
    9 degrees when I left the Bonneville area early this morning, but it felt colder at 29 when I arrived in Houston this afternoon!
    The SLC television news teams were outdoors reporting on the cold; the telecasts I saw around Houston were from inside the airport reporting on the delays.
    Blackouts were all over Houston, but no indication that my home was affected.
    Paul

15. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Good advice...

16. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

17. Jagman

Jagman

-12* tonight for us, but it'll be all the way up to 30* by the weekend - heat wave!

18. Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  19. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

We produce plenty of our own power here. They're actually selling off much of our power to other states thus causing the rolling blackouts.

20. 1968

One would think with all the gas well wealth around this great state in the last few years, natural gas would be the least of our worries.

I don't ever remember rolling blackouts due to winter weather in the DFW area...let alone Texas. Hospitals lose power yet Jerry's house hasn't lost a beat...or a dime. Proof Jerry and the NFL really do make the world go round! $$$

21. Greezeball

Greezeball

Man the weather has gone stupid it's about 35 to 40 here when it's ussually -30 to - 40.

22. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Grouch gets it---this next statement may get me some flak, but I don't care------do us all a favor, Jerry---sell the Cowboys. Maybe the new owner would build a football team and not just a building. I feel better.

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow man, I never knew it got that cold in Texas!! We have the opposite here, its 2130HRS (9:30pm) and my thermometer is reading 29*C (84*F) and the humidity is in the mid to high 80%.
    Not real comfortable.
    But back on track and topic, I seem to always be drawn to the 'Vintage shots from days gone by' thread. So much cool stuff and although I love Hot Rods I am enjoying the diversity of the thread.

Doc.

24. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

Gas company here now suggesting we turn down out thermostats ==they have a gas shortage==this is where it comes out of the ground!!!

25. After we spent 5 mo this summer in Houston we're enjoying our -32* below here in N Dak.:rolleyes: To be honest though I am getting tired of blowing snow so we are thinking of coming back down to Tx for a couple months -- just as soon as you guys warm up a little.
    It's all what you all get used to.

26. chubbie

chubbie

Hey Ryan... when i was a kid i remember the fuel oil barrel would Gell up and the furnace would quit! so we're out side, 20 below, wind about 20 MPH tyeing a binder canvise, and straw bales around the barrel and running a heat lamp to it. only to find we were out of electricity!!! the next 4-5 hours without heat!! well that wasn't so bad.... no elect. no milking machine!!! my old '41 chevy had a 1/2 inch pipe nipple into the intake manifold... long piece of hose to the milk line and we could milk with one milking machine!!! I still have that old chevy!! check out my albums! thats the same old fat car that milks cows!!!!!

27. Jimm56

Jimm56

Ain't deregulation great!

28. Been around -16 C [0 in english] off and on for a week,25 sounds nice.