Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A late introduction-Junior Conway coupe build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Oct 10, 2009.

1. nofin

nofin
    from australia

I offered some help to Jerry about the perforated brass inserts on the coupe. Went to my mailbox today and Jerry had sent me this as a thank you.

[​IMG]

A signed thank you on a photo of the coupe! Hambtastic!

Thanks Jer.

P.s The coupe looks awesome in the photos from GNRS.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

great looking coupe, welcome from Tn

3. jivin jer

jivin jer

I spent some quality time with the Rikster. He was the driving force behind this car being at the GNRS.

Attached Files:

• 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      354 KB
      Views:
    • 038.jpg
      038.jpg
      File size:
      318 KB
      Views:
  4. Rikster

Rikster

Here are some photos of Junior checking out the car. I think by the look on his face he had a great time seeing his old love back again.

[​IMG]
    Thats Jesse Lopez on the left with Junior and his wife.

[​IMG]
    Junior getting into the car for the first time...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Jerry and his wife watching while Junior checks out the cars interior... and most likely was reliving his youth.

[​IMG]
    Yep... just like back in 1956...

[​IMG]
    Approved... mission accomplished!

5. Kustoms Illustrated

Kustoms Illustrated
    from West

I would have paid a million bucks to be inside of Jr's head when he first saw the car! The smile on his face tells it all. I was happy I got to see this scenario in person.
    Jerry, Like they say in Texas, "Ya'all done good!"
    Luke

6. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

Wow, those photos say it all. Congratulations!!!!

7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic! Probably hard to say who was happier, Junior or Jerry. Thanks, Rik. Nice T shirt, Jerry.

8. normski53

normski53
    from texas

Jerry I am glad you had a good time at the show and all of the hard work you put into the car paid off and this can bee seen by the look on Jrs face and yours also.

Good job Buddy

9. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Your car looked amazing and we're happy you were a part of it .

10. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Wow, what a gentlemam that Jerry is, I tried to get to meet him but he was always surronded by people.

What a nice Gesture.

B:)B

11. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Jerry it was a pleasure meeting you and seeing the car in person... its really amazing!!
    see you in a few months!!

Piero

12. jivin jer

jivin jer

Jr arrives with his family and friends. I'm introduced to Jesse Lopez. To my right are Tom, Sharon (Jr's wife) and his daughter in law.

Attached Files:

• 077.jpg
      077.jpg
      File size:
      290.4 KB
      Views:
    • 078.jpg
      078.jpg
      File size:
      278.4 KB
      Views:
    • 081.jpg
      081.jpg
      File size:
      346.5 KB
      Views:
  13. Lucky444

Lucky444

It was pure paparazzi when Junior climbed into the Coupe.

You guys did good!

Attached Files:

Lou kriger likes this.
  14. Jer, thank you so much for sharing this build with us all here. The car looked amazing, could only wish I was their to view her in person. My hats off to you, congrats.

15. RDR

RDR

Jerry, good to meet you and your family, brother...was that a great show or what!! Good to hear you still have the car and hope to maybe see you at the LSR ..?

Randy

16. jivin jer

jivin jer

Jr pointing out details to Sharon and Jesse.

Attached Files:

• 091.jpg
      091.jpg
      File size:
      375.3 KB
      Views:
    • 092.jpg
      092.jpg
      File size:
      367.9 KB
      Views:
    • 094.jpg
      094.jpg
      File size:
      413 KB
      Views:
  17. jivin jer

jivin jer

Jr. making eye contact with his life long friend (Jesse Lopez). Next pic for those who might not know who Jesse is.

Attached Files:

• 111.jpg
      111.jpg
      File size:
      400.2 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      512.6 KB
      Views:
  18. jivin jer

jivin jer

Another look at Jr signing the dash and, the result.

Attached Files:

• 144.jpg
      144.jpg
      File size:
      383 KB
      Views:
    • 151.jpg
      151.jpg
      File size:
      285 KB
      Views:
  19. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Jer,

The car looks great!.Glad you had a good time at the show.Especially meeting Junior and having him sign your dash.A moment to remember,for sure.What was his reaction when he saw the finished car?

Good Luck with it.

20. RDR

RDR

Very cool Jerry....JR was really gracious, signing the dash and all, whata guy...how about Barris..any comments?

21. jivin jer

jivin jer

Early sat. I went over to the Barris booth to get some shirts to wear. I'd noticed all the car related shirts that were being worn by EVERYBODY and their dog. I was feeling conspicuous in my $12.00 Wal-mart short sleeve (72 degrees). There were two guys and a blonde lady starting to set everything up. I asked (sarcastically) if they had any House of Color (Jr.) shirts after introducing myself as the builder of Jr's clone. The reply I got was about the other clone being built (Gregg Bodiford, Atomic Kustom) by his buddy in Kansas. I replied back that Gregg's building a different car (sbc etc.). The conversation ended, I bought my shirts and left.

I should add that when I came out to visit Jr in Nov.09 I hadn't specifically made an appointment to see Geo.. We went up to his shop to find it closed and locked. When Gregg came out in Feb. he saw both Jr and Geo..

Sat. evening I asked Geo. To come over and autograph the car. He said that he planned on coming over with his crew; and they were going to do a spot on it Sun. evening. I think Geo. Forgot.

I went over to the t shirt guy and had him make four House of Color shirts. I had one made for Jr..

This car will be at the Dallas Autorama on the 18' of this month. I think Geo. will be there. We prepped a spot on the dash that we can clear coat over after its signed. We'll probably get that taken care of there.

Thats Jr's son on his left shoulder.

Attached Files:

• 181.jpg
      181.jpg
      File size:
      322.1 KB
      Views:
    • 183.jpg
      183.jpg
      File size:
      311.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  22. bigken

bigken

Jerry - stoked about seeing your car and meeting you @ Dallas........thanks for being part of the show.

23. justafordguy

justafordguy
    from saginaw

Jerry, you are indeed a pro and a gentleman. Thank you very much for the autographed picture. David and I were glad to help with the coupe.:cool:

24. jivin jer

jivin jer

After Junior was in the car for awhile I acted like it was his car and told him to open the hood. He must have pulled it sharply because the cable came out of the holder. When he got out I was able to give him a look at the trunk compartment.

Afterward there was brief moment of panic until we remembered that Ford had a built in remedy for this problem. Later after dinner we went to a Home Depot and got a screw driver and vise grips and unscrewed the striker out of the latch.

Too bad he didn’t see the under hood area.

Attached Files:

• 173.jpg
      173.jpg
      File size:
      266.7 KB
      Views:
  25. Kustoms Illustrated

Kustoms Illustrated
    from West

New issue hits the streets on Feb. 15th! Jerr's car has a ton of coverage in it......ten pages as opposed to the usual six pages I give a feature car.
    Plus, subscibers get the free Collector Card inserted which also has the Conway Coupe on it!
    www.kustomsillustrated.com

Attached Files:

26. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, this is totally beyond me. All I wanted to do was relive that time that I was captured and carried away by all this stuff. I did know that there were a lot of teenagers that are now mascarading as old geezers that were carried away too. But, to have all this turn out this way, a total mind blow.

27. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

jer what are you cloning next?...come on you must have something cooking

28. glassguy

glassguy

i have watched this biuld unfold since the very 1st post.. and i am psyched that it will be shown to the rest of the world in the only true dedicated kustom magazine!! i can not wait to get the 1st issue hot off the press. kustoms illustrated always does a good job, but i think this is gonna blow everyone away.

29. jivin jer

jivin jer

The crazy thing about all this is that Jr's car was plan B. There was a socal 40 chopped vert custom survivor that I was working a deal on that fell through. That car is still out there.

The problems I have now that I didn't have then is this new problem child that has all these wants and needs that have to be tended to. Like insurance, safe storage, transport, etc.. A new home for it would solve these problems. I discovered in the 80s that I enjoy the journey much more than the destination. I still do.

Who would have thought that I'd probably have to buy an enclosed trailer and a truck to pull it? You could have told me this.

If this 40 doesn't work out, I've been looking into doing my other favorite shoebox. Goularts. There's lots and lots of mental activity that goes on before anything physical happens.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  30. Wow! I just found this thread... I gotta get back here more often.

Did you rub back the dash where Junior was going to sign it? I guess a coat of clear comes next? :)

Nice job.