Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Great Blizzard of '11!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Sonny Depalma

Sonny Depalma
    Member Emeritus

Think it's time for that Florida vacation it was 80 today, working on the 55 getting it cleaned up for our friday night cruise, I lived in that crap for over 30 years, I feel your pain!

Attached Files:

2. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

We received 14 inches of snow in the last 24 hours and now they are calling for a low temp of -13° by morning with windchills of -30°. We're heading to Cancun in a week I can't wait.

3. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

Here is my truck in yesterdays fresh snow.

Attached Files:

4. CruZer

CruZer

It turned out to be kind of a bust up here in WINDsor,Ma.
    The first of the two storms dropped about 8 inches of powdery white stuff, and the second storm dropped 4 inches and turned to sleet.That made up about a quarter of an inch more. That's it !!! Done deal !!

But I'm not complaining. We already have 40 + inches on the ground and I've shoveled / snow raked my roofs off three times.
    My plan was to move my roadster to a body shop in early Jan. to prep it for paint. Now I can't even get it out of the garage bay it's in. Hopefully,spring will be early and I can move it then.

The good news is we are making lots of progress on Bearing Burners lakester ( see pix on landspeed.com new builds.)

5. funk 49

funk 49

just got in from clearing the drive. Started at 8:00am 2' of snow with 4'-5' drifts,and the first plow to go by today just went by at 6:30 opening our road.

6. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

[​IMG]

Half inch of ice on everything in central NJ. Mostly melted today. I hear it was worse 50 miles north.

Edit: that's out my upstairs window, a tree leaned into it with all the ice. It's back upright now.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  7. maniac

maniac

Well according to the groundhog, it will be an early spring.......:confused:

Attached Files:

8. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

The tops of the front fenders on my 50 Dodge 4x4 are 46" off the ground. With the plow lifted all the way up, the top of the plow is even with the top of the fenders.

I live on the north edge of town, on the north side of the street. The wind was coming out of the north, so most of my drive way was clear, except right in front of the garage, and the last 20 or so feet of the drive. The snow blew over the garage roof and dropped right at the garage door, about 4' high and 5' wide. The end of the driveway drops down a couple feet to the street level. The drift at the end of the drive was about 20 feet long, and probably 4' deep at the street level. Fortunately for me, a tandem axle city plow truck made a single pass down our street early this morning. I was able to lift the plow up as high as it would go and could power through the drift onto the street. As I was going through the drift, the snow was coming over the top of the plow. Once a path through was made, I could work it down. After the driveway was cleared, I got to shovel the sidewalk, about 60' of it mostly about 15" deep.

Whom ever has been praying for snow this year can quit now. :rolleyes: Gene

9. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

No that little "dip" between Matherville and Preemption.

yeah but it should all be gone by the 4th........... of July! :D

10. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

This was a lot less snow than predicted, 20 at ohare, 79 was a lot more in the city, shoveled and tossed for about 8 hours today, did all the old gals snow with all the neighbors, did our streets with all of our throwers and a crew of about 20 of us, dug out all the cars, I am sore as hell, my old boy body and my young boy brain are a ways disconnected, would do it again tomorrow if it snows again, get to hang with the neighbors and do a clean up, always good to see how well we all pull together for a common cause, It must be why I stay here despite all it's troubles. And now I have a few bubbles ready in my 8 jet Kohler Whirlpool tub, A nice hot 102 temp, One of the best things about being the plumber is that I get one of these buggers to unstiffen the old bod. Some designer gal wanted a white one this one is Bisc, hey that spelt free to me, ha ha, Had a few nice cold bottles of Guiness in a bottle too, Smooth, AHHH. The years peel away, Wonderful ness.

11. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Nice day here?

Attached Files:

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Well, it wasn't the storm of the century, but it was pretty owley out. I got up this morning (thoughts of going in to work last night and spending the night at the hopsital were lost after the second glass of Cabernet) at 0500, and finally left for work at 0900. Only 3 1/4 hours late! One of my co-workers never made it, she got stuck and waited 'till noon for a tow. By then we figured she probably needed the day off.

The photos pretty much tell the story...

Brian

Attached Files:

13. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

I got the day off of work... but the trade off sucked, shoveling cubic yards of snow. The sun dried the cars at least.:rolleyes:

14. Been there and done that about 6 hours earlier. Getting too old for this crap though.

15. Ebert

Ebert

we suck...22"

16. We got hammered. Weather man said we got 18", we got more. My 4X4 Toyota is stuck. Some places it's waist deep. I slid off the driveway in the Toyota and ended up on the frozen pond. I was able to shovel the snow from behind it and move it to solid ground. The bank I slid down is just to steep to get up in reverse. Suppose to get pulled out tomorrow.

Attached Files:

17. banditomerc

banditomerc

whats your Toyota doing on the moon?

18. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

I park on the street every night in Milwaukee. This is what I had to dig out today..

[​IMG]

19. fleetside66

fleetside66

Actually, this all might be a byproduct of global warming. I read this in a recent article about La Nina (not El Nino).

"Warmer than usual water temps near the North & South poles have weakened the Atlantic jet stream. So, cold air that would normally leave Canada & move across Greenland & Iceland is stuck with only one direction to go - south."

As usual, things are not always simple.

20. Central New Mexico here in the mountains east of Albuquerque. At my house 7100 ft I have about 12 inches of snow, but the temps are really cold. It was around -5F Tues night. Never got above 5F today, and supposed to be -15F tonight. Almost the entire state of NM is below zero tonight, except for a bit down in SE corner of the state that are just above zero. MY work had a burst pipe, which is part of the hot water heating system for the building, so sent everyone home and no work today.

Supposed to get above freezing on the weekend, can't be soon enough for me.
    It was too cold to stay out much today, such as getting on my 42 Ford 9N tractor to clear my driveway. Just drive over the snow, hahaha. Since it has been so cold and the winds were pretty good, wind chills down in -25F range. Not as bad of drifts as some of you have, but the wind did create drifts around here up to couple feet.

21. It is all cyclical, this storm is nothing compared to the early 80s, 69, 47 etc.................To think we know what mother nature and GOD are doing is just pure ARROGANCE! Al Gore needs to take yoga so he can suck himself!

22. fuzzface

fuzzface

23. fbama73

fbama73

In the 50's, they all said we were headed for another ice age.

In the 80's, they started wailing about global warming

Nowadays, they call it climate change.

They keep changing what they call it to keep the grant money flowing in.

There's BIG POWER in the whole ice age/global warming/climate change/whatever they call it next week racket. And where there's BIG POWER, there is BIG MONEY. And where there is BIG MONEY, there is usually BIG BULLSHIT.

24. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Lets see, Tulsa broke a recored for the most snow, the most in a 24hr peroid, the most for Feb. and the most snow on Feb 1st any year. Sucks!!!

25. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

26. InPrimer

InPrimer

I put up with that $hit for over 50 yrs that's why I moved to AZ.

27. No new snow here15-20 already on the ground temp is 18 wind gusts to 50 mph.Near o visibilty at times causing major drifting. Colder than a witches door knobs in December!!!

28. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

So true! It all about the money!!

29. 21tat

21tat

Ahhhhhhh, I love the desert! Have fun boys.

30. Lay off the politics unless you want the thread closed. You know what I say about opinions, "Every asshole has one!" :D