Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Wheels for a 1960's Showrod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lockwoodkustoms, Feb 1, 2011.

1. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

What would have been used on the wild customs Show Rods of the 1960's? I see many of Radir wheels being used and I would like to go a different direction than those or the Astro supreme wheels. I really like what the Li coffin has on it does anyone know exactly what they where I found some American Racing that look like them so I am wondering would they be right for this era ?

2. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Aren't they original Torque thrust wheels on the coffin? Have you thought about the astro slots, nobody makes them anymore but they seemed popular back then.

3. The lil' coffin just had a set of American Racing wheels on it, if I'm not mistaken.

I think these would look neat on a "show rod" depending on the rest of the car, of course.

Chrome wheels, Astros, Radirs, American Racing wheels, and all of their respective clones are pretty much what you've got to play with. You could also sport a Halibrand style mag, if you're going for more of the "race" look.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

As much as I enjoy Radirs I just don't see then being a wheel used back in the day. Besides the Batmobile I cannot think of another car. I'd say Chrome steelies is about as good as it gets. I know I have seen a bunch of other cars with chrome steelies that had holes cut into the centers around the "disk" part. That's an interesting look but not my cup of tea.

On my old T bucket I thought the look of Ansen 5 spokes out back and chrome steelies looked perfect but I don't think you'd find a lot of examples of that. More or less you would find all Chrome or all 5s spokes.

What year in the 60's are we talking about? Could be different options if we were talking 1961 or 1966.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Have to ask, there have been a rash of "bait" threads on here lately. Are you really serious and want to know, or are you waiting for someone to respond with a no and then going to go off on a "Yea, well, its my car, and I will build it my way so fu" rant?

6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Slots, Rader's, Halibrands, Chrome reverse, Buick wires

7. That's mostly because Raders were expensive. People back then, hated to spend money too. A pair of new chrome wheels was about 40 bucks, and my dad paid 37.50 a piece for his radars in 1965. If you look hard enough, you'll see the use of radar wheels.

8. i'm a big fan of the slots that are on the orbitron!

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The new radirs look different form the old raders. The new radirs have an alloy rim, the old raders were a cast aluminum center in a chromed steel rim. What year did you have in mind, theres a big difference between period-correct for 1969 and 1961.

10. N8B

N8B

I don't think there is much that can beat the appearance of a good set of chromed Radir tri ribs for show.
    Halibrand 5 windows (kidney bean's) come close but I would still pick the Radir's.
    Did I mention I like Radir's and will be putting them on my 34 pickup.

I'll do the Halibrand's on my coupe though.

11. That avatar picture looks like a pic I took of my buddy wheels on his 53 Studebaker Commander Coupe. Chrome reverse w/ nos Cal-Custom Blunt Spider Bullets. ( circa 1967)

12. Cragars were new on the scene in the early 60's and took off from there. A set of those with Goodyear Blue Streaks were the stuff IMHO. The new Cragars aren't the same spoke shape as the vintage ones.
    How about the Hurst wheels? little further into the musclecar era but the op asked for '60s.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  13. How about these, My buddy scored the 15" and I got the 14" . Chev, bolt pattern( dated 1964) Cragar Sparklers, (Brad's Pic, thanks again buddy)

Attached Files:

14. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I like the Astro slots but I am not really able to locate them.:(

I am think mid to late 60's JJ :).

I am serious as hell I am trying to make sure I do not mess around and mix match themes .:)

15. if the car is mid to late 60s I would say ya cant go wrong with Cragar S/Ss

16. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Meatball I think you know the car am talking about you have commented on a post I did a while back about it. :D

17. oh yeah............

18. studebakerdave

studebakerdave

DrJ is right on the money imo about the rader wheels always thought they where ugly. Depending on the car astro supremes or my al time favorite the chrome reverest wheel always looks good.

19. zapp69

zapp69

From many posts/articals Ive read many were custom steel wheels with a dip of Chrome, like Mysterion's wheels which also had Radir rears
    [​IMG]
    PS I'll be running Radirs on my Roadster, I love em

20. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I love this car :D. This one along with the others that look like this is what I am going for.........

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sorry, I really shouldnt even have to ask that question, but alot of these posts are getting to be like when your wife asks you if her ass looks fat, and getting reamed for giving a straight answer is really getting old. The Astro slots or other stamped steel chromed slots would be dead on the money. If you are going late sixties, the narrower sizes of the TTO's are pretty close to the old americans. If you REALLY want to get the late sixties look, most of the photos of street cars (Not race cars) I have looked at from that time frame with americans run a 6" wide front, with a 5.50-6.00x15 stretched over them. Its a pretty distinct look to me, and really says late sixties.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

There were cheap stamped slotted chrome wheels sold in the late sixties and early seventies by a lot of companies (Superior, JC Penny, ect) . Some of them are almost exact imitations of the Astro slotted wheels, they used to be dirt cheap used. I havent seen any for a while, and if you did find a set that looked like what you were after, they would probably have to be re-chromed, but thats something you could look at.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Beat me to the punch! I kinda like the Raders(not Radirs) now, because they are pretty rare, and make a real "mid-sixties" statement, but you are dead-on.

Attached Files:

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Something like this is what you have in mind?

Attached Files:

25. bob-o

bob-o

26. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Those are what I want...........yes :D Thanks

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I find it interesting that you want to build a car to a certain theme but do not know what the individual elements of this theme are.

28. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Well I am just not sure what the wheels were called on the Blue coupe and I liked the ones on the Lil Coffin but I was not sure what years they where made and used. I am not a know it all and I have no knowledge of this era at all but I have always liked them. So I thought with the vast knowledge here on the HAMB I will be able to further my knowledge and learn the correct parts used in a specific era.

29. bgaro

bgaro

my vote goes to raders if your running ww's or halibrand w/ blackwalls.

30. DanCollins

DanCollins

the wheels on the blue coupe look like ansen slots....