Register now to get rid of these ads!

First Hot Rod Build 27' RPU

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brawal128, Nov 16, 2010.

1. brawal128

brawal128

Hey, I'm new to the site and haven't posted much stuff on here. I know this is a traditional hot rod site, but thought I would post my build and see what people think. It's a 27' T cowl, with a 440/727 drive train and a 8.8 rearend. I know that my build is not traditional due to the fact that is has air ride in the rear, but I think it looks cool. Don't have the bed of the RPU made yet but it will have one. Here's some pics from the start to now which has been about 2 months.

Attached Files:

2. brawal128

brawal128

Here's some more....

Attached Files:

3. brawal128

brawal128

Last batch.

B

Attached Files:

4. Noland

Noland

sits really low hows it gonna do with bumps looks like it would be hitting the ground just by putting the engine in.

5. smarg

smarg

Thats a serious Z job on that frame.

Looks to be sitting low, looks like your setting it up for bags in the back?

Over all pretty wild looking.

Looks famliar...

Attached Files:

6. brawal128

brawal128

It looks so low because the frame sitting so close to the ground. When the bags air up, the ride height is 4- 4.5 in and I can still go further up if need be. But, I like the way it looks layed out.

B

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  7. brawal128

brawal128

Made the steering drag link and finished tieing the steering shaft to steering wheel. For the steering drag link, I took 1" DOM tubing and bored out the center to 5/8", the used a LH/RH 11/16-18 tap and tapped the holes out. The tie rods fit perfect and I am very pleased with Speedway motors and the quality of products they sell.

B

Attached Files:

8. DREW148BHP

DREW148BHP

Lookin' good, keep after it!!

9. brawal128

brawal128

Got the shock brackets made and mounted this weekend. At first, I was a little curious about the out come, because they came out a little taller than I had expected. I really didn't have much option about were to put them. So, I made a bracket that connects them to the bat wings. And just mounted them were space was available. But, I think they turned out pretty good. Raised the steering box up about an 1 1/4" to clear the hair pin. I did this because the tiring was hitting the drag link. I still need to bend the pitman arm in to get more clearance. Still need to make the back piece for bracing on the shock mounts. Going to get brake line and fittings this week. Should have the brakes done this week.

Thanks DREW148BHP. I need to stop by the shop and use your torch to bend that pitman arm (and to drink some cold beer).

B

Attached Files:

10. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

That thing is cool. I like it. I have a extra model A cowl that I though about doing this to. I think it would be alot of fun to build and drive.

11. Italianrich

Italianrich

car looks sweet. some bones on the front instead of hairpins would look good too. Really diggin the fattie whites.
    Rich

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work on it and it looks like it will be fun. But-If I live to 100 I will never understand the fascination with this aired out lay on the ground like it's broken thing.

I could bash the pan on my 23 T with a leaf spring on the front and Corvair coils on the back easily enough (and often enough) that I didn't need anything to make it lower.

13. brawal128

brawal128

Thanks, I like the look as it sits now, but I'm excited about getting the bed on. It's going to look sick. I hope that it turns out like this green RPU, http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520715&page=7.

Hucklebin, you should build that A cowl out. Like to see how it would turn out.

ItailinRich, I have some bones for it but decided to go with pins and save the bones for the next build.

Again, I appreciate the feedback.

Brandon

14. brawal128

brawal128

Over the Holiday went and bought the fittings for the air valves and plumbed the valves in and made the bracket to hold the valves. Still a couple of more quick connects to finish running the air line. Brake line coming in tonight and should be able to get a good start on the brakes. Drive shaft is being made and should have it next week. It's getting there, the excitement is building. I just need to keep busy and keep getting work done. Hope everybody had a good Turkey day..

B

Attached Files:

15. skottyknukkles

skottyknukkles

looks like a fun build! Should ride nice with the bags on the bar. i did a similar set up on my sedan. any plans for drag blocks?

16. brawal128

brawal128

Thanks, I have considered drag blocks for scraping and throwing up some nice sparks, but will probably put them on later if I decide to incorporate them on the truck.

B

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sorry, but in my eyes hot rods don't have airbags and blocks for dragging and making sparks.

That stuff is for the lowered mini truck guys.

18. brawal128

brawal128

Got some work done this weekend. Motor is painted and reinstalled. Motor mounts finished and painted. I sanded and smoothed the transmission and painted. Remade the front shock mounts. I didn't really like the first ones. I made the mounts from a torsion bar I got with rearend. I'm hoping to get the radiator and grill mounted this week.

B

Attached Files:

19. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

X2 :eek:

20. Noland

Noland

coming along nicely, It is alittle low for me but its not mine. Keep on pluggin away at it.

21. big daddy Raleigh

big daddy Raleigh
    from Denver CO

Looks good and you are off to a great start! The air ride rear is a nice feature! The only feedback I have for you is that there will be wicked bump steer & odd steering response due to the angle of the steering link between the box and spindle. The links should be parallel with the front wish bone and be as close to the same length as possible. The links if at all possible are optimal if the drag link end & wishbone mount are vertically in alignment with each other. Long story short all links need to be parallel and equal on horizontal and vertical planes to make the radius' identical throughout suspension travel so that the suspension angle doesn't affect steering angle.

22. brawal128

brawal128

Here's some pics of the bed I'm putting on the 27 RPU.

brandon
    Dirty Birds C.C.

Attached Files:

23. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

looks like you do nice work. I can't get excited about your air bags and the scraper look - supposed to be traditional in here - I've been a hot rodder since 1958, and I don't recall any cars with any kind of bags (except the wondrous GM 'air ride') or with an underslung stance like that. This look you've achieved is beginning to dilute "the product". I don't understand how true HAMB members that adhere to the "traditional" credo of style and presentation can get so excited about this look. Street cars 'in the day' just didn't look or sit like that. Yes, I'm a curmudgeon...but I believe in the Pre-64 strictures on this forum - if it doesn't look like it just rolled out of a 50/60s magazine - shouldn't be lauded on here as fitting in.

I appreciate your work, your skills and your drive for an iteration that pleases your eye and style sense. I just need to vent a bit when I see guys who supposedly tout the HAMB code getting all wet in the crotch over something that's obviously outside those boundaries.

24. brawal128

brawal128

Hey Propwash, everyone has there own opinion. I never called or considered this a "traditional" hot rod. If anything, it's called fabricated and using what new practices for fabrication are available. Back in the day, guys were using methods that people were unaware of and people didn't get it then, until everyone cuaght on to the idea they were trying to portray. I believe, that if the builder is happy with his/her creation, then whats the problem.. I like traditional builds as well, but I think it always cool to see what people can build using old and new practices.

Appreciate the comments and response, but also challenge people to think outside the box and use any artistic ability that he or she has to create what they want.

brandon
    Dirty Birds C.C.

25. brawal128

brawal128

Here are some updated pics. Wheels are painted, windshield is in and It's ready. Can't wait to hang with everyone this weekend at THe Invasion in Dallas. Next thing to do is interior. There are some before and after pics.

B
    Dirty Birds C.C.

Attached Files:

26. brawal128

brawal128

So, heres an Update. I found a couch in my neighborhood, bought a mexican blanket and some spray adhesive and voila, I know have seats. Thank God, just in time for the Lonestar Roundup trip to Austin. Last year I had no seats and sat on the wood floor board on the way down.

Attached Files: