Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pickups with dropped axles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 Mercury, Feb 1, 2011.

1. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

Who is running a dropped axle in there pickup

My 56 F-100 has a 3" dropped axle with reversed eye springs up front. The back has posi springs, front rear spring hangers moved to top of frame and 2-1/4" longer shackles in back. The rearend is still under the springs and I did not have to c-notch the frame. I can still haul stuff with no issues. I have 6:00X16" tires on the front and 7:00X16 on the rear

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

Beautiful truck. Do you have any pics. of the front springs and hangars? I want to try a dropped axle on my International opposed to installing a Mustang II set up.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

How did you drop your tie rod to clear the front springs? This is always an 'afterthought', yet it is of paramount importance!

My '55 F100 has Monoleafs up front with reversed eyes. If not for the tie rod interference, I'd drop the axle also.

4. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

The spring hangers in the front end are stock. I just moved the rear front spring hanger to the top of the frame

www.droppedaxles.com

5. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Great looking truck dude. I dig the white 16's and blackwalls...

I've got a 2" dropped axle (and steering arms) and reversed eyes up front. Lost a few leaves in a "kinked" spring pack in back. G78s & L78s.

[​IMG]

6. dan sutton

dan sutton

Thanks to you Sid

Attached Files:

7. [​IMG]Thanks to 55 Mercury aka Sid at www.droppedaxles.com I was able to lower my truck with his 4" drop axle and remove 2 leaves at each corner and 4" blocks in the rear to get this look.

8. BigMike900

BigMike900
    from Texas

Nice looking rides. I am trying to decide how low to go with my 54 F100. I want a 3 inch or 4 inch axle and didn't know if 5 inch reversed eye monos would be too much or if I needed to go with 3 inch monos. What combos are possible?

I think if you went with a rack and pinion, it would aleviate the bump steer issue with a lowered axle. Is that correct?

9. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

I heated and bent my steering arms. Since then I started carring 2" tie rod drop blocks for tie rods. They are allot easier to use. You just bolt them on.

10. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

On a F-100 I recomend only a 3" dropped axle. 4" is really a pain in the ass to install. It takes tie rod drop blocks and heating and bending the steering arms. Remember when going with after market springs that lower your truck 3" lower springs may not lower your truck as much as you want. When they say 3" that is from the height it was the day it rolled out of the factory. Over the years the trucks have settled allot. On the back of my truck I used 3" posi springs. When I put them on it stayed the same height when I got done (sucked) But one thing I can say they ride great and I use them again. Bump steer is not a problem as long as your draglink is level and parallel to the frame. Rack and pinion is hard to use on a dropped axle because most kits mount the rack to the center of the axle and the steering arms are to far up.

11. v8 garage

v8 garage

55 Merc
    I noticed your front axle is moved forward. What did you do to accomplish that?
    V/8

12. 4" dropped axle from Sid. Truck rides good, easy to install.

Attached Files:

13. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Sid, I've got one of your 3" dropped axles I bought second hand off a fellow hamb'er. I took out three leaves in the front to go with it. In the back, its 4" dropped monoleaves plus 2" dropped shackles. I also did new shocks front and rear. Right at 6" lower all around. We had to do some flipping and bending. Not easy, but nothing worth doing ever is. It rides really nice and I've got enough travel that I don't hit frame front or rear.

Everyday ride height...
    [​IMG]

Haulin' stuff...
    [​IMG]

14. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

My truck has stock front springs reversed eye only. The axle is not moved forward. I does look like that in the pics...

15. conormulroney

conormulroney

Mine has a 3" Mor Drop axle and reversed eye springs up front. Out back are 5" mono leafs, very short bump stops and no notch
    IMG_0435.JPG
    215/70 and 235/75 15 blackwalls
    in the grove_2.JPG
    6.70 and 8.20 15 whitewalls

Conor

LTM75110 likes this.
  16. mj40's

mj40's

3" dropped tube axle on mine.

[​IMG]

17. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

anyone know how 'dropped' a stock axle in a '52 F1 is? my recent purchase was slammed by removing several springs, needless to say i have less than 2 inches of travel. however the axle looks 'newer' than the rest of the suspension, but not sure if it's of stock dimensions. my plan is to start over with a 3" dropped axle and stock springs.

18. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

If you want to see what axle measurements are go to my web site www.droppedaxles.com

19. Black Primer

Black Primer

Hey Sid, here's mine with the 4" drop you made up for me.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      513.6 KB
      Views:
  20. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

Thanks Sid, have visited your site, great stuff! Will be purchasing a 3" in drop in the near future. Figure i'll probably have top remove a leaf or two from stock to get the height i'm looking for.

21. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

Here is my 1947 Ford pickup. It has a 3" dropped axle reversed main leaf and two spring removed in the front. Rear axle is flipped to the top of the spring.

Attached Files:

22. My Deuce pickup has a 4 inch dropped axle,a reversed eye spring and a model A front cross member,,good for a 6 inch drop. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Sheesh Sid, I completely missed this as YOUR truck. I love this thing!

24. THANKS SID 4 INCH DROPPED AXLE MONO FRONT LEAF, AND DE-ARC REAR LEAFS, MODIFIED PITMAN ARM I WILL BE ADDING A 1 3/4 REAR LOWERING BLOCK[​IMG]

25. Here are a couple I put dropped axles under.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sprout likes this.
  26. BigMike900

BigMike900
    from Texas

Has anyone used a 3in dropped axle in conjunction with 5in monos on a 53-55 effie ? Got pics?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

27. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

Guess no one has. I know the companies that sells mono usually don't recomend a dropped axle with mono leaves. I talk to allot of people that really don't care for the mono leaves. Most people say they ride to harsh. I know that if you used the mono leaves and a dropped axle you would have to bend your steering arm to make the drag link level so you would get no bump steer.

28. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

Very nice truck! I like the looks and stance! Any more pics of the interior and engine compartment?

29. Larry T

Larry T

Sid,
    On your 56, did you flip the front hangers on the rear springs or just move them up on the frame.
    Looks great!
    Larry T