Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 32 3-W Survivor "Tuffy" part 2

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kisam, Nov 24, 2009.

1. lorodz

lorodz

coming along nicley

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Great news Kathy!!! Damn i've had Lobuc's stuff hanging in the garage for over a year now and it's still not in the car!!! I need to get my ass in gear for sure. Great update!

3. Noland

Noland

Very Nice build, I used that EZ COOL insulation on an o/t chevy truck I did the whole firewall and the insides of the doors, I was very happy with the quality of it. Easy to work cuts with normal cheap scissors.

4. kisam

kisam

Doc - you motorhead, is that all you think about?:) I got the crank and pistons back yesterday and dropped it off at Owen's Racing today to have it balanced as Shelby didn't have the equipment to do it. I ended up going 10/10 on the crank just to clean it up some small pitting. I had one cylinder with pitting/rust (I suspect a mouse) and it took 5000th to clean up - otherwise I could have stayed with stock pistons. The block is done and the heads will be here next week. Waiting on an Isky cam to be ground - guess I need to call it has been three weeks. These Hemi's are expensive to build - I have come to the conclusion that whatever a SBC part is, triple it.:( Now, what are you doing with your motor - I kinda suspect a surprise for the "Thaw". (wish I could make it)!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. The 'triple' estimate is pretty much what I figured too. My dad has a 392 ready to build. I was pretty excited about using it for a future project but I'd have to take out a loan to get all the stuff to build it up with.

6. 37Nash

37Nash
    from East coast

[​IMG]

very, very cool! your mom rocks!

7. Deadbird

Deadbird

Nice progress Kathy. Keep it up!

8. MissPrint

MissPrint

Kathy = Ruler.

Period.

Cannot wait to see "Tuffy" at the RU.

9. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

10. RAY With

RAY With

If Owens is doing your balance it will be precision . Back in the days when George was alive he did all my work on several NASCAR motors and never any problems. They keep a very clean shop and your in good hands.I like the progress your making and hope you bring it to the Roundup either by driving it or trailer. Many on the Hamb want to see it in person.

11. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

How many times did you open and close those doors !! they look great !

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  12. kisam

kisam

Thanks guys and gals! Terry were you watching me?;)

Ok it's been really cold here so I opted for an inside project to keep going. Time to try my hand at tuck and roll. When I was in high school I worked at a hat factory sewing so I thought I would give it a try. It took me longer to set up my sewing machine tension than it did to do the actual job. I used a regular sewing machine and changed out the needle to an 18. Here you can see the original top. I'm pretty sure Ron went with 1 1/2" wide stripes but I opted for 2". I am not sure who did this work for Ron but I am guessing his Mother or Kay?

[​IMG]

A trip to Walkers in Pasadena and home I came. Marine grade black and white and uv resistant thread. I also bought raw canvas and unrefined cotton but now I am wondering if cotton is the way to go - like if it leaks between the threads? Maybe someone can enlighten me?

[​IMG]

There was some cussing involved while I tried to get the tension just right:rolleyes:! Let's just say - it took a while!

[​IMG]

Done! Looks nice on the couch anyway. I hope to start the install this evening after work.

[​IMG]

While I had the machine out I decided to try and make some boots for the trans and parking brake.

[​IMG]

Well, I'm no Fat Lucky but I'm cheap!;)

13. Bill Schickling

Bill Schickling

Very nice! Anything you can't do?

14. [​IMG]

Wow Kathy, That looks really really nice, love the boots too.
    Maybe you should start doing interiors for a living, you could call it
    "Slim Kathy's" :D

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn I think it looks great Kathy!!!

16. RAY With

RAY With

Excellent Job! Well done and looking forward to seeing it ay LS show

17. Kathy, are you doing a head liner too? What are you going to use for backing Al-u-menium or abs or what?

18. kisam

kisam

If you ask my 22 year old daughter she will tell you I can't french braid and it wasn't for lack of trying. I used to tell her "Moma can't french braid your hair but I will be able to change your water pump on your car when you grow up" (then she would give me that "your weird look")

We will have to stay with "Fat Kat's" my slim days are long gone!

Thanks Jeffrey!

Starting to sweat that LS Show - so much to do!

I have no idea at this point (need to do some more research or wait for you to do yours;)). I doubt I get to that before LSRU. I will stay tuck and roll inside but I think the alternating strips inside would be too much for that small of a space so I am gathering ideas.

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Wow, that top insert is awesome!

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Really without seeing it in person I cannot tell whether or not it's perfect but I can tell you this. I like a little play in my Hot Rods. I assume they weren't as good as Fat Lucky's back in the day and so a little human error is fine by me and looks the part of a 50 year interior. But from where I am standing they look pretty spot on.

21. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

You amaze me Kathy...excellent

22. This just keeps getting better! You are a dynamo!

23. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

You are doing an awesome job on this car!!I look forward to seeing it on the road.

24. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Just keep kickin ass thats cool I bought a sewing machine I will probaly get a finger in it. I was not watching but I know the feeling ! l I love the interior !

25. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Hopefully you will be at the Deuces Limited Reunion in Los Pines Texas ... September the 23rd and 24th.

I would LOVE to see the coupe in person. :D
    You are doing a GREAT job ...

Randy

26. Bill Schickling

Bill Schickling

From the look of that sewing job you just finished you could also make her clothes if you wanted to.

Has it warmed up in Texas yet?

27. chaddilac

chaddilac

Kisam... love the T&R interior!! nice!!!

28. lorodz

lorodz

29. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Awesome progress.... I love this car :)