Register now to get rid of these ads!

2in under triumph forktubes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JoeyOldschool, Mar 14, 2005.

1. JoeyOldschool

JoeyOldschool

anyone happen to have a source for 2 inch under triumph forktubes?

mucho gracies in advanced

2. gokatgo

gokatgo
    from Phx AZ

If you mean Fork tube, Forks by Frank is the place. He'll make you anything you want.

3. JoeyOldschool

JoeyOldschool

potato, potatoe.....yes, thanks : ) much apperciated, i remember a thread about this a while ago, just couldnt find it!

4. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

What front forks are you using internal spring with lower alum legs? Me and a friend of mine shortened them on bike myself. We have the tap for the correct thread pitch to do this. I called franks and their to busy for their own good ,quality work but I felt like the wait and service out weighed the quality. If you have access to a Lathe it can be done on your own if your tubes are good.Also remember gotta take same amount off of springs.Hit my profile and check out pic of my scoot.

Later Shoe

5. hatch

hatch
    from house

Hey Shoe...where did you get the tap?....I've got a bunch of tubes I'd like to shorten and can't seem to find one....thanks....hatch

6. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

My friend is a machinist and he works for a big plastics factory and one of his tool supply places got it for me it is a rare tap from what I understand.If you want I will get some info on it tonight, maybe I can get a price and if your interested pick one up for you.I let you know .
    Later Shoe

7. johnnygringo

johnnygringo
    from Nashville

what kind of frontend?

with the right tap it shouldnt be a problem to do on your own

the thing about quality is that its always worth both the price and the wait

here's Franks if you need it

http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

8. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

I am not down on Franks I have some of their tubes for other projects.Its just when I said how long would it take to get them they said something to the effect that when your check clears thats when they will be shipped.Now I run a collision center and if I told one of my customers something like that the shit would hit the fan.I am a firm believer in that if someone else can do it so can I if I can find the resources needed to do the task.So I had a good set of tubes and I had a extra set just in case I messed one up. It cost be 30.00 or 40.00 dollars for a tap and a couple hours of my time and my tubes turned out fine.So if you do it yourself you should know what kinda of quality you get,someimes my quality is not as good as the next guys though.

Later Shoe

9. hatch

hatch
    from house

That would be great...thanks a heap!!!

10. squirrelmurphy

squirrelmurphy
    from Long Beach

What is the overall length on a stock Externally sprung Triumph frontend? I've got a '68 Bonny project but I only have a set of 6" or 8" over tubes, even the guy I got them from didn't know. I'm not sure if I will need custom tubes or not to get the stance I want. Also, how much lowering can be done by simply cutting coils out of the springs before it starts to bottom out?

If I could get an installed height, from axle to top of tree or neck from someone I would thank you kindly.

11. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

Hatch you may want to take this one as far as ext. spring stock height.I am only guessing but I would think you would want to take equal lenghts off tubes and springs to some what keep the same amount of travel.But sometimes the more you cut off the springs the harsher the ride may get.I will see if I have some litature on stock height of ext forks
    Later Shoe

12. jeffro

jeffro

Hey if you find out that that pitch is let me know too. I work for a tool distro, and might have a few lying around.

thanks

13. JoeyOldschool

JoeyOldschool

I have 3 sets of fork tubes (65 bonne, 68 tiger, I *think* the last set is either BSA or Norton tubes, its all the same though) - all are stock length
    I do have access to a lathe and i wouldnt have much problem screwing up a few forktubes to get a good pair :)

14. LIL' AL

LIL' AL
    from RENO

I ride a 100" FXR and I cut 2" off my springs and it works fine (solo), so it can be done. AL

15. james

james

If anyone goes with Franks, call your local biker shop first. I called franks about some for my xs650 and they quoted me like $230, but I talked to my local shop, he called franks, and the shop said they could get them for me for $180 !!

16. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

The tap that I have for 72 and up internal spring forks is
    1 3/16 x 20 special hand tap mill supply catalog part # is er60-11220. Hope this helps it should run approx 55.00 for this tap.
    Later Shoe
    HATCH I PM' ED YOU