Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Really cool! I have this issue (somewhere).

Pete

2. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Speaking of really cool Mopars, how do you like this shot?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tom McCrea...are you in that picture somewhere? :) Whatever the case, I want to go back in time!

[​IMG]

Recognize any of these guys?

Pete

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  3. One of my favorite pics! :)

Attached Files:

4. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Tom McCrea...are you in that picture somewhere? :) Whatever the case, I want to go back in time!

[​IMG]

Recognize any of these guys?

Pete[/QUOTE]

Pete,

I think I was probably out of the country on an extended vacation courtesy of Uncle Sam when that photo was taken.

The guy behind the car sure looks a lot like Mike Lewis. Should have been about the time he was involved with the Gade Grenade.

BTW, which STOCK class does this car fit?

5. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I know this isnt a Jr. Stock question but isnt this the same Ed DeStaute who has been running S/G in NHRA for the last several years and was a past champion? :)

6. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

[​IMG]

BTW, which STOCK class does this car fit?[/QUOTE]

It could be one of the NEW DP's that MoPar is making for AA/SA?:D

7. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Yes. Ed has been around the Sportsman pits for a long time. We first met at Irwindale in 1966 when he was running the '63 Max Wedge car that had been owned by Bob Simerly back in the San Gabriel Raceway days. That, I believe was his original use of the name "Spoiler" but that was not his first race car. AHRA had control of most of the local tracks around L.A. at that time. In 1968 Ed finished college and fulfilled his student teaching requirement in the same P.E. department in which I was teaching in Montebello, California. He taught P.E. in the Los Angeles Unified system for a number of years and went Super Gas racing on a full-time, touring basis sometime around 1990. He has won a number of NHRA national events and the National Championship a number of years ago. I see him at the track just about any time I go racing.

c

8. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

Second time around for this car, and the last time brought "only" $75,000 as a no-sale bid thru Mecum...

Yet Gary Ostrich's '65 Plymouth A990 "only" brought the same $75 (+ 10%) and enjoys new surroundings..."no reserve" @ B-J...

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appl...list.aspx?aid=403&sd=01/18/2011&ed=01/18/2011

See Saturday, #1324.2

9. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Thanks Chuck.....I thought it was the same guy. I just knew I could depend on someone like you to remember and know for sure. :)

10. goodwrench 1957

goodwrench 1957

In the picture is Larry Lombardo Gunning bros Tim Bishop, Butch Sozzxx? , Buck Wheatly back row is Dom , Barry Wallner, Al Andrews, ?

11. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hey guys dig this: I just received an email from Chuck Garey (son of Ron Garey) and he is trying to find the guy that thinks he owns Ron's 69 Chesrown car. I don't have that info. but if somebody does call me at 410-206-9427 or post it here or email me at [email protected]. Once I hear back from Chuck Garey I'll be SURE to invite him to participate here. Tweed you out there? Any info.? Thanks in advance---until next time..... Dave.

12. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Guess what else happened today---- Back in December when I showed my '69 W31 F/S at the East Coast Indoor Nationals (won Best Nostalgia Drag Car) the judge of the show (Wes Downey sp.) approached me and says he is friends with a fellow that owned my car many years ago. I had found the original buyer, and of course the fellow I bought it from, but couldn't find the guy in between. Well, today I received a nice packet of photos and some other COOL stuff from the second owner. I had always had his name and a complete and documented paper trail of the car but now I have some more information and pics of the car in the eighties. I am in the process of copying some RACE photos from BEFORE he owned it and some CURRENT photos. I will not only make sure he gets them, but also invite him to my garage and show him the car in person. Pretty neat huh?

13. The Jolly Green Giant I/S....Good runnin' '57 wagon! The Jolly Green Giant, a '57 four-door wagon campaigned by Ken and Jack Gunning of Philadelphia, PA....Is it still around? :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  14. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

We sold the wagon after the third 1968 points meet at Cecil County to a guy from up state N.Y. near Niagra Falls. I think he was a drywall contractor. I don't remember his name. I last saw the car later that year at Indy using our entry. I sure would like to know if anyone knows any history after this. BTW where was the picture taken with the fence in the background?
    Ken

15. Jolly Green Giant L/S 57 Chevy Wagon (fence in the background) at Capitol Raceway in Maryland 1967. :)

16. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:Wonder how many races this car won in it's career......

Attached Files:

17. rlpagan

rlpagan

I dont know but I have not read where the car is now on this thread, Last I saw it was owned by Ron Rizo. Is it still in NJ?

18. BELAIR1957

BELAIR1957
    from PA

Thanks for posting a picture of the KROME-GOWER sedan delivery. I will see that LARRY KROME and ROGER GOWER get a copy of it.

I have seen both of them about three months ago.

They also had a 210 sedan at one time. Any pictures of that one out there?

19. mossage

mossage

Colesy: Lombardos Corvette was a 61.

20. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

You're welcome.

That's great. And while you're at it, invite them to join us here.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this team or seen a photo of their car.

Regards,

Pete

21. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

The Racers Edge
    Hackettstown was one of the main routes to Island Drag Way and was full of racers and people who went there. So what can you remember of the racers there cars if you have pictures share.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/130431

Some very good posts there. Here's a sample:

"Here's a small history lesson and a picture or 2 This was Bill Izokowski's car that was sold to Pat McVickers. I remember it sitting behind the Armstorng's house with the Kicks lettering for awhile before he got it re-painted and re-lettered. It met it's demise on the way to a points meet at York when it broke loose from the tow car (Bill Cunningham's I believe) and crashed into a boulder. He later built a 66 Biscayne called Badfinger which ran in Super Stock and I think was rolled over by the guy he sold that one to."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  22. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Billy I. was kind of partners with Stu Rogers on the Biscayne( Stu's Automotive on the rear fender) Billy was always a fun guy to be around...

Stu Rogers was a Pontiac expert and I worked with him for a while in the back of Tony Feil's shop. We did all kinds of work on hot street cars as well as race cars. Mostly Pontiacs but could be anything, GM mostly.....

Stu had a '62 Pontiac convertible. It went in the 13's and was a street car. He bought a '62 Grand Prix and it was freshly painted and a lot nicer than the convertible......We removed the driveline from the ragtop and installed it all in the Grand Prix over a weekend......421 4speed 8 lug aluminum wheels....When we went to push one car in the shop I was steering it and everyone was pushing.......was hard to steer with no power steering!....I nicked the door frame as we made the turn and put a dent in either the bumper or the fender....Stu was not to happy....no shock there as he was never happy anyway and always looking to pick a fight.......he was like a Fonzy type....but meaner...LOL

Stu was freinds with Jess Tyree (also on Billy's front fender).....and he also had a friend named Craig Muller from Union or Hillside NJ.....Craig raced a '58 Pontiac for a while and was friends with a number of the Left Coast Pontiac Stock racers.......He did a trans for me for my '58 Pontiac and I bought an engine from him that came from Jay Hamilton supposedly.....Jahns pistons...McKeller cam.....I never got any use out of it....pistons were cracked!

I spoke to Tony Feil this past year at Island Dragway the day they were racing the 50th anniversary race.....First time I had seen him in about30 years.......I am not so sure he even remembered me or who I was......Lots of water under the bridge since the '60s.

23. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

dave - check your email. I sent you some info

24. 57peppershaker

57peppershaker

This is fantastic thread, just got through all the 446 pages :D

Some great Tri chevys here. Might have built mine differently, if I had seen this 6 years ago !

Sadly now, all my 57 junior stocks are gonna be 1;25 scale :rolleyes:
    As I spent too long looking at the pics, not reading the text, whats a brief run down on the classes most Tri's were entered in ?
    Did these cars run full or stripped out interiors ect ? What about running gear ?

25. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Junior Stock classes were figured by dividing the vehicles shipping weight by the factory horsepower of the vehicle. Here's the link for the NHRA classification guide.
    http://www.nhra.com/competition/classification.aspx

After getting that figure, refer to NHRA rule books according to specific year for designated class... see post # http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6060620&postcount=8625 and post http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...postcount=8626.

Generally speaking, interiors in stock classes had to remain stock. Engines needed to be stock spec, higher than stock stall converters could be used and any rear gear ratio/cog set could have been run as long as it fit into the stock case.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  26. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

To add to Joe's observations, the NHRA Tri-fives during the 1960s were required to run with factory rear ends and period-correct transmissions, i.e., cast iron Powerglides, stick 3 and 4 speeds, and (for a while, in sedan deliveries) Hydramatics. Most engine combinations were available in most body styles (F.I. and dual quad motors in stationwagons, etc although that also varied from year-to-year. The exact classes also varied depending on the engine/transmission combination and the prevailing NHRA rules. For example, in the early 1960s, Bruce Morgan was World Champion with a '57 Bel Air 283 horsepower B/S. A few years later, Bob Lambeck ran D/S with a '57 150 coupe with the same powerplant. If you go even farther, after the advent of the muscle cars, they slipped back into even lower classes. By 1971, Val Hedworth's '55 wagon ran down around T/S with a 180 horsepower 265 and his '56 2-door wagon ran O/SA with a 225 horsepower 265 w/iron Powerglide.

c

27. paulspanel

paulspanel

Bill Russell was a division one car.

28. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Thanks for sharing your story, Rich

"he was like a Fonzy type....but meaner...LOL"

"Ayyyyyyyyyy...."

Pete :)

29. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Welcome aboard mate. :) Since you've skimmed through this enormous thread and checked out the eye candy first (I don't blame you), I suggest when you get a chance, begin at the beginning and read the accompanying text all the way through. I can assure you it's just as good.

Regards,

Pete

30. Max Wedge S/SA

Max Wedge S/SA
    from USA

As Tony Feil used to say Craig Mueller lived off the land. He was a professional bowler, did pretty well...