Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Great Blizzard of '11!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Feb 1, 2011.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Anticipating that it really will storm tonight like the excited TV weathermen (and women) are nattering on about, I got ready. I hitched the car trailer (with the '36 inside) to the truck, pulled it out and headed it down the driveway. I know I'd have never been able to move it if we get a lot of snow and drifting, and I'm going to Cobo with it later this month. The last time we got a snowstorm like the one forcast for tonight, where the trailer was parked was snowdrifts as dee[ as the eves of the shop all the way down the drive. Our road wasn't plowed for a week.

Now, hopefully we won't need an endloader to clear the drive in the morning...

Attached Files:

2. funk 49

funk 49

I hope you make it out ok. Round two of the same storm coming your way just started about half an hour ago. The weather man makes it out to be the end of the world. Schools and businesses are closed for tomorrow calling for 15+ inches of additional snow. From what i've seen today it's not the amount of snow, it's the 50+ mile per hour winds all night that could build up some monster drifts.I hope you manage and aren't drifted in for a week.

3. JVK54

JVK54

We've been getting pretty hammered (again) all day out here, with more on the way tonight.
    REDRUM!

4. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

That's the nice thing about having a driveway full of cars & trucks... much less to shovel!

5. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

I just cannot imagine that kind of snow. Our issue in Georgia is not the snow, it is the ice that comes after the snow starts to melt and then refreezes over night.

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's just starting to snow lightly now, but the wind is howling, maybe 20 25 mph from the NE. It's making the sliding door in our family room sound like a Kazoo! We are supposed to get 16 to 22" of snow by tomorrow night. My worst fear is that I'll be able to get to work tomorrow, where I know the night shift will call in and I'll be stuck at the hospital for days, working 24 or 36 hours. Hopefully, we'll be snowed in solid when we wake up!

7. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

we probalby got 5 inches so far and it only started at about 5 hours ago, bad thing is its not suppose to stop til tomorrow mourning. hopefully it lets up by the time it gets to you

8. big bad john

big bad john

....Does'nt look good any where in the USA ......All you HAMBers take it easy the next couple of days.... Slow down in driving and sholving snow....

9. Rallyeguy

Rallyeguy
    from Wisconsin

Gettin hammered on this side of the lake too Brian....

Looking at around 20" on the ground by morning here in Wisconsin, and pretty good sized drifts with 45 mph gusts...

Unfortunately, not much car stuff going on.......

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

already coming down pretty good here...got home about 30 min ago..and already have 1/2" on the truck
    if they are right it will be fun tomorrow..
    talking an 1" per hour til morning..possible 15"

I got 4" last night..and the blowing and drifting is already started..

Its been a while since we have had this much..so Im looking forward to it...sick? maybe;)

11. bear39

bear39

Still dont understand this snow thing what is it?????????? Bear

12. Everyone make sure your anti-freeze is topped off

13. Rallyeguy

Rallyeguy
    from Wisconsin

Looks like this only worse......This is from last night and this morning, and they say 8-14 more inches on the way. :eek:

[​IMG]

Wishing I hadn't sold my snowmobiles now.....

14. The girl snapped this pic of the anti-rod.

15 Minutes before the girl took this pic the snow was piled about half way up the windshield then the wind picked up for a bit. I may not end up with mich on my driveway if the wind is just right. :D

Attached Files:

15. OldHeart

OldHeart

30-40 cm for me

16. Hey, i read its groundhog day over there, meaning that winters almost done.
    Unfortanatly, it also means that our summers about to end.

17. Hasn't hit here yet ... (east of Toronto) but I did just get in from purchasing gas for the snowmobiles ... I'm ready, bring it on.

18. grey46

grey46

It started here about 10 this am and have a good 5 inch's already wind is about 35 MPH drifting etc. Supposed to get another 10 to 15 overnite. Wouldnt be bad but I gotta take my shop dog out in it to do her bussiness,shes only 9 lbs and the wind bout blows her away,but shes a tuff old gal and just lays her ears down and gets er done .

19. KSLeadslinger

KSLeadslinger

It's been snowing and blowing here all day, I've got a drift at the end of the driveway bout 14 inches deep. Worst thing is the damn wind, keeps drifting the end ofthe driveway shut. Mother Nature can be a hateful woman sometimes.

20. ...I heard 3/4 of the country is in on this one, I just saw some snow blow by that came from New Mexico!

21. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

porknbeaner that truck have a small block in it by chance? wow. never mind, yours is older, just noticed, mine went west...

Attached Files:

22. potter142

potter142
    from Tn

I've grown to hate snow! This was the last straw.

Attached Files:

23. Didn't get to hammered with snow yesterday, less than foot here in the Rockies, but dealing with BITTER cold! -15 when I left to work this morning, with wind chills that "made it feel like" -32! If you've never experienced that kind of cold....dont'!

24. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Fortunately for Kentucky, we got a big bubble of caribbean warm air holding over us. Temps in the high 30's... Good thing too because it's raining hard enough that we got localized flooding problems. If it was 10* colder, we would be getting over a foot of the white crap.
    Not looking forward to later in the week when it drops into the 20's and all this standing water freezes over! :eek:

25. CayoRV

CayoRV

Came on like a light switch here along the shore of Lake Michigan at about 3:30 and really getting with it now. It's not the 18-24 inches we're supposed to get by morning thats bad, its the wind blowing at 35-40 mph that makes life tough. This too shall pass.

26. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

FYI just announced I 70 shut down both directions Kansas city to St louis.:mad:

27. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Reminds me of my Dads Willys back in the day.

[​IMG]

28. Yes it does. I'll PM you.

Been snowing here since about 7 this morning, didn't get serious until about 1 we got about 10" here give or take and depending on exactly where you are in the metro.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  29. Michigan Weather forecasters are seen as socially accepted, high paid, scientific, story tellers that most folk think make up a lot of tall tales. We still like them, just don't believe them much... Based on reports from some of you west of the Detroit area, they were not telling fibs this time... Might be a good day to stay home and stripe tomorrow...

30. Left Pomona and got home last night - here's today with the second punch coming tomorrow. But hey, it's New England! We went out to the post office to get our mail and over to see Sue's Mom this afternoon. Big deal:)

Attached Files: