Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sleepers! Anybody into sleepers here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by waaaypastredline, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I posted this on an old sleeper thread but i really like it so i'll post it again. This is really OT, but great. There was a retired Chrysler engineer with a Chrysler LHS back in the mid '90's that had two of the stock V-6's in it, the extra one was where the back seat should have been, all wheel drive, 460 H.P. Completely stock looking on the outside, just like your grandfather would have owned. I asked him if he liked to mess with "vettes at the stop lights, the old guys face lit up and he said "Every Chance I get" He said it wouldn't spin a tire, just go. :D

2. Mac_55

Mac_55

I wont post links because its wayyyyyyyyyyy to far off for Hamb , but if you search youtube you can find a twin turbo K car sleeper that is rediculous along with a slough of those 88-89 turbo chrysler minivans that are just rediculous lol But fun to watch

3. 1320/150

1320/150

If that goat went 10's it would be a sleeper!!!

4. Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel
    from Texas

Im not sure if this is a sleeper on here since my car would be consider to new but I own a 78 Mercury Zephyr sedan or "boxtop" with a 2.3 turbo. bucket seats five speed with factory hubcaps on it. nothing to scream fast like the mustangs...

5. lt1racing

lt1racing

turbo rat rod truck. the turbo hanging on it might give it away. but, i still wouldnt have thought it was this fast. engine has forged piston, pretty much stock other than that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMj0noKQhdU btw, he's had a best e.t. of 5.97 in the 8th. and one of nicest people you'll ever meet.

6. Back in 78 I bought a 70 Monte for 500.00 . The red paint was flat, it had color keyed hub caps and fender skirts.
    But you opened the hood and there was the factor 330hp 402 BBC backed by a 4spd and it was a/c delete .
    The thing was fast .
    Brian

7. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Only sleeper I owned was a 72 Gremlin X in 75 that I put a 401 state trooper Javelin engine in. Stock purple paint and wheels.Surprised alot of big block Chevelles from light to light. I also bought one of the first new 71 Mavericks with a 302. It was a medium yellow gold 2dr with whitewalls and full wheelcovers. It was a sleeper for a little while.Ran it at Hollywood Speedway in Miami occasionally while I was in the Navy.

8. 1320/150

1320/150

This thread could have been cool!!!!

9. hotdamn

hotdamn

thats awesome!

my grandfather and my father both raced at that track!

my family is from Ft. Oglethorpe.

10. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

I'm a huge sleeper fan, but not sure my SBF in a Healey will qualify once I light off the motor:

11. lt1racing

lt1racing

12. 64T-bolt

64T-bolt
    from Kansas

13. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

Hey that looks like my "new'ish" Dodge!

[​IMG]

Heres my sleeper Rambler
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. haychrishay

haychrishay

Here is my 58 version, 348,3 dueces, and a 4 speed

Attached Files:

15. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

Vinyl top, bench seat, steelies with dog dishes..........Dart blocked pump gas 491 with a super T 10 and a 12 bolt. Are you sleeping yet?

Attached Files:

16. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

17. Lee_Ford

Lee_Ford

In the early 70s I had a ’61 Econoline van with a really strong 289. It was just an old blue and grey Sears service van. I put sports car radials on black spoke mags up front and 15x10 ETs with F60 15s out back. It was down in the front and high in the back. Ok, maybe to a car guy it was not a sleeper. Especially if you listened to the idle closely. (A little rough to say the least.)

I used to love it when a cowboy (with his GF sitting next to him of course) would challenge this long haired “Freak” at a light by sounding off with his glass packs. I would glance over and smile. Then when he nailed it, so would I. The van would almost pull the front wheels taking off from an idle. Loved it.

18. encswsm

encswsm

I thing theyre more fun when awake!!! LOL I had a 69 farelane that the previous owner had put a totally hopped up 302 in... that old hag was scary fast... all clapped out looking with a powerful engine...

19. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

That Rambler is cool! What you running in it.Looks like an dohc four.

20. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

The Rambler has a DOHC Quad 4, sidedraft Weber and Eaton m62. Muncie M21 4 speed, 8" Ford rear, 4:10's, cutout, and 7.5" Hurst cheaters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

22. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

[​IMG]

Yep,this truck hauls! I'd love to see a match race with this truck and the OK farm truck (and I'm a Chevrolet man.)
    A wolf in sheeps clothing!

Look for the dent on the back of the passenger-side of the cab,that's from my head hitting it when the big guy launched....

23. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

This ol' Belvedere was pretty strong back in 1970-71 had a 440 and Manual shift Torqueflite w/ 4.89 gears. Ran 11.80's @ 115-16 with 7" tires and looked like your grandma' grocery getter!

Attached Files:

24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

This reminds me of a sleeper in 1966ish??? It was a stock looking Lemans with the 326 flags and no GTO stuff. He wouldn't open the hood when he came into the Mo. The whole idea of a sleeper is to fool people when you race for money. I don't remember any 64 GTOs as being great street racers. They raced among themselves and the 442s but they were not the guys that would take on anything that came through.

This Lemans would come over from SE Wash. and consistently kick ass. We finally learned that it had a Corvette 427 425 in it. Nothing new today but the 427 was a pretty new engine and was not suspected as a trans plant into a Lemans back then. He created quite a stir and made plenty bucks on Sat nights.

Take any cheap model 2dr sedan with poverty caps, jack it up all the way around add a big thumper motor and you have a great looking sleeper that wouldn't get a single bite for a street race today but they do look good.:D

Mine will be Platinum gray.

25. slim tempo

slim tempo

26. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

27. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

My "college car" was a HAMB-friendly year (66), non-HAMB-friendly make (VW Bug)...with a Porsche Super 90 engine poked 'n stroked to 2176cc...Black with the bumperettes shaved off the bumper blades, Porsche 5.5" rear wheels (Black) sportin' recapped cheater F70X15s...high 14s with wicked 60' times, good enough to embarrass supposed "musclecars" on the street at the "stop lite GP"...325-horse GTOs/SS396s/GSs/442s/Fairlanes/'Runners need not apply...

Investment? $900, circa '70...

28. Joe-405

Joe-405
    from Oklahoma

go to google, type in okc farmtruck and hit the i'm feeling lucky button !!!!

And Just picked this up its set up for a SBC already..................

Attached Files:

29. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I remember when I had my 66 Chevy II this guy pulled up in that Red Celica, wanting to race.:eek: I later saw him out on 42 at the local hang-out spot. And the guy at the time was a tow truck driver and said that he got the call to tow this old toyo away, and when he picked it up the original owner/builder told him he could have the car if he wanted it( i'm not sure I believed the story but interesting car anyway), so he got the car/title complete and running, and his company paid him to tow it away, "TRIPLE WORD SCORE"... That thing was wicked, looked like a factory install, all except it did'nt have a hood... I wonder where it is now? And sightings of it Brandon?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.