Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which crossmember to use for AV8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 13, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Okay, I'm sure this question has already been asked, and yes I did try to search, with not much luck. So since everyone and his brother wants the '32 k-member, are there any 2nd choices? I am doing a typical AV8 build with '51 8BA motor w/ 3-speed trans, '48 rear axle :eek:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Please specify- front, center or rear.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

He said "K-Member". (that's center)

4. I've corrected the post with updated info. Sorry!

5. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

He edited after I asked.

6. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Can I ask why you don't want to use the 32 k member?

7. Money of course, and availability

8. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

Late F-1 / early F-100 if useing an early 3 speed. As stated it has provisions for early pedal set up and makes a good basis for a homebrewed "K-member" by adding some reinforcment.

9. I don't think it's an early 3-speed, it mates to a steel bellhousing separate from the motor. Or would that be considered early? :confused: Also what years F1/F100 are you speaking of? Remember, I'm as green as the grass on your lawn

10. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

we used the original and fabricated it into a 'K' member.

[​IMG]

Probably the most cost effective if you've some steel and a bit of time.

11. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Look up Chris' thread on his AV8 roadster build, I believe he shows how he used an F-1 crossmember.

12. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Vern tardel makes and sells 32 style k members that are made to fit a rails with no modification. I'm not sure on price though.

13. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

Sounds like a later tranny as my '40 "side shift" has a built in bellhousing. This is my first build (T on A rails,early caddy,etc) so I'm probably still green around the edges when it comes to this stuff.:D '52-'53 is when I THINK they changed from F-1 to F-100. Anything from late '40s to mid '50s should work.

14. $475.00

15. my2nd40

my2nd40
    from Tennessee

That's a sweet looking chassis.......more pictures please!

16. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

Yeah,what he said.

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Being that he is from England, I would have to gues that it is the trick copper plated steel stuff that they all run over there. It would be nice to have that available here in the states.

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

if it is solid mtd like it is, there would be nothing wrong with it in my opinion

As for crossmembers there is a semi cheap 32 K in maple valley, either on here or Craigslist, but you might be able to get by with any ford crossmember, with some work, i have a 37 X-member in my 32 frame, and anouther unmodified one you can stop by and measure, but i want to keep it for future projects.

What trans are you going?

19. The trans is a 51 3-speed, I'll try to stop by this weekend. Thanks Shaggy one...

20. Mart

Mart

If I had a choice I'd use some sort of x-member, like a 34 or similar.
    Very strong and stiffens the frame well. The 32 style k-member really limits you to an early ford 3 speed gearbox. These days it's nice to run some sort of overdrive box. Using a 32 k-member pretty well rules that out.

Mart.

21. Hmmm, well my trans is a 3-speed 1949-61 style, where the bellhousing is separate from the 8BA motor. I did not know that the 32 would limit the trans options

22. I suppose it will be to my advantage, to wait until I have installed the motor & trans to see what'll work best. You're right, so many options!