Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pontiac engine ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamedcoupe, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Thanks for the info on the trans adaptor for the 1959 389 to 350 turbo. Now I need to know how to tell that the engine is in fact a 1959 389. I know 61 62 63 64 are different and 65 and up are different . How can I tell? The guy I got the engine from thought it was a 1959.

2. www.teufert.net has a pontiac parts id page wallace racing also is a good source

3. bbendtsen

bbendtsen
    from Wisconsin

Easy. The bottom two bellhousing bolt holes on the '55 to '60 pontiac motors don't have threads in them and have 1/2 inch dowel pins. The '61 to '64 motors have threads in the bottom two bolt holes and have 5/8 dowel pins.

Bob Bendtsen

4. 59 was the last year Pontiac used those water-transfer tubes from the waterpump housing to the front of each head. You know, the little external elbows that have a length of 1.25" hose in each one.

5. yep, that is what gave away what my 58 motor 's era, those little elbows and TWO water freeze plugs on both sides of the block. BTW, Rocky if ya run into 2 sets of those Cals , i need a set as well.:D

6. Thanks for the info. The transfer tubes are the type I have. They have even been chrome plated at some time in there life.

7. wish mine were chromed , wanna trade? LOL

8. Mike they were chromed at one time. Not much left now. Sorry