Register now to get rid of these ads!

Have ever done anything dumb while showing off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smittystoys, Jan 31, 2011.

1. smittystoys

smittystoys

I was just thinking about the funny things that had happened through the years although it wasnt so funny at the time. I will start off buy telling just a few of my dumb mistakes #1..My dad had a 32 3 window 327 muncie 4 speed muncie .One day we were out in the shop working on the cars ,i was around 15 or so,dad says would you please back the three window out in the drive , i said sure so i hopped in fired it up put it in reverse (i thought)....foot slipped off the clutch had it in 1 st instead of reverse smash into my dads tool box caved the drawers in ..luckilly just barely bent the bumper brace ., but i will never ..never forget the look on my dads face :eek: he said what the hell are you doing..he took it a lot better than i would. #2 .. I had a 57 2 door hardtop 427 turbo 400 had a factory console and shifter out of a 64 ss impala .This time i was 16 still just as dumb .. MY GOOD BUDDIES....wanted to go around the block ,i didnt even have my drivers licensce yet .We went and ask my mom if we could take th 57 around the block ,she said you guys can go just around the block and come right back , i said sure so my 2 buddies and my little brother jumped in ,went 4 blocks down turned around my best friend who was sitting in the passeger side says get on it so like a dummy i did ...put it in low stood on it.. all was ok till he said let me shift it . for some abcent minded reason i said ok.........big big big mistake......foot to the floor he shifts from the passenger side, goes from low to reverse :eek: all we heard was a boom and all we saw were flying parts.We coasted over to the side of the road ever body goes what the hell happened.. We pushed it about half way home untill we gave out..walked the rest of the way home,we came around the corner my mom was standing in the front yard , my (BUDDIES)said man we got to hurry and get home we will see ya later.My mom goes wheres the car ,i told her something made it quit shifting :D she said you hop on your bike and get to the parts store and fix that car before your dad gets home (fat chanceof that happening)...broke the ring and pinion ,broke the driveshaft,ripped the lakewood safty loop out of the foor,ripped the exhaust off of the left side broke the trans and bent the crank in the motor ....:eek: The car was never the same . Ive still have plenty of stories . lets here about some of yalls experiences:)

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I'm actually at a loss for words

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. smarg

smarg

.. :rolleyes:

4. Nothing I want to talk about on a public forum, lets just say them Duke boys in Hazzard county didn't have nuthin on me !

5. I found a couple mailboxes on opposite sides of the road, a barbed wire fence. Separate instances.

6. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

Just one of many: Attempting to show off a bit leaving a party during my high school years. I back my 63 chevy PU out of the drive, rev it up to 5000rpm or so and side step the clutch. Now the truck was pretty much a stocker 283/3 speed with fat tires and 500lbs of bondo mimicking the shape of a 63 chevy PU, still it had enough power to split the case of that little 3spd that I had forgotten was still in reverse. I left a puddle of gear oil on the ground and drove home maybe 7 mile on dry gears. Man was that thing howling by the time I got it home.

7. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

.the year was 1989..i was 16...had my license about a month and a half...and I had 68 camaro for about a few weeks,..it was a plain jain V8 car and in that time i had mastered the peg leg burn out(turning right and burning out at the same time!),.then!,all of a sudden, i saw the beautiful raven haired lass i was infatuated with walking down the sidewalk,instead of slowing down to ask her if she needed a ride, i figured i would impress her with a display of power, so i was turning left on to a side street,nailed it and the seat track on the stock bucket seats slipped back and i ended up doing a big 180 while smoking the tire(S) and ended up knocking down someones fence,.

....needless to say me and my wife have been married for 22 years now,(lol,j/k about the married part, never saw the girl again,but doesnt everybody love a good ending :D)

8. chopperrob

chopperrob
    from ny

In 1982 I had a 1969 impala with a 327 that ran pretty good. While leaving the mall one day (with a couple of female prospects) i decided it was time to show my hot roddding skills. So as i had done 1000 times i started my 100 yard smokimg burnout. Only thing is this time it got outa shape and headed straight for a curb. The car had early E.T. 5 spoke aluminum wheels and when i hit the curb it broke the wheel clean off. So as i slid through the parking lot at mach 10 with my hair on fire the wheel rolled past me. The girls thought it was quite funny but my night was over. Put the spair on and drove home with a bent control arm and the tire squeeling the whole way. Needless to say the prospects were no longer interested.

9. Graduation night of my junior year....cruisin' Visalia. I had an upper classmen pull next to me in his 80's Chevy Shit Box, he reved up his motor at the light...I decided to show him whos boss, gave him a nice rev back and at the same time the alternator fan on my Powermaster Alternator sheared off and went straight through my radiator....bending my fan, which in turn screwed up all the billet a/c and alt. mounts. Then I sat there steaming and puking water in the intersection till some buddies of mine saw my cars distress signal and helped me push it off the road. So much for looking cool

10. panheadpete

panheadpete

My Panhead was park in front of my girlfriends house that was probely built in the 30's .We had a big fight one of those fuck you-fuck you kinds so i fire up my bike start to do a 180 in the dirt and grass get about half way thru and unearth an old sidewalk, tire hooks up and lunches me half way thru a 8 foot hedge. I look back she shaking her head and closing the door. Last month we"ve celebrated are 30th anniversery, go fiqure.

11. I am not going to admit to a Fucking thing!!!!!!

12. I was picking up some parts with my bro's '63 Chevy, similar truck. I decided to leave in grand style with a smoky burnout... revved it up and dropped the clutch in 1st.. BA-BANGGGGGGG!!!!

No 1st, no 2nd, had to slip the clutch and take it home in 3rd. I pulled the box down and found that the entire cluster shaft had grenaded. This was his DD so I gave him my car to (ab)use while I rounded up parts. I found a fully syncro box from a newer truck, put a new clutch in it and everyone was happy.

Bob

13. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

a buddy of mine was doing a donut in a jeep..flipped it oveer through out the drunk girl in the back seat.broke her arm.messed up the jeep,and pretty much made a fool out of himself.

14. cheap1

cheap1

I love these threads that let everyone know what a dumb ass I am :D. A couple of years ago I stopped in front of my friends house and he gave me the universal sign to light'em up, so I obliged. About two seconds later it sounded like a hand grenade went off under the tunnel. The old M-20 had enough apparently. I split the case, broke the yoke on the driveshaft and the u-joint. I had a shelf in the garage displaying these broken speed parts for all to see, but unfortunately I've ran out of room on the shelf and have to build a bigger one :D

15. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

I'll add a second: I had a beater '57 chevy 4 door my Jr year of high school (1987). The corner Chevron gas was still a service station at that time and I had a friend working there. The '57 was a running a vicious, monstrously powerful stock 265 that had weak rings but I could still manage to get the car to do donuts if I got a little bit of momentum and cut a hard left. So the place is closed, the overhead lot lights are off and my buddy tells me to do a donut in the open end of the parking lot. I get my head start, cut the wheel and start to brutalize the bald tires on this old bucket. As I get to the 180 mark on my second dount my buddies girl friend pulls into the lot right in front of me and I t-bone her moms '82ish Malibu wagon. The wagon folded like tin foil, but the only thing that happened to the '57 was some sheet metal shifting and one of the rubber tits on the bumper was damaged. Due to my jackassery the insurance companies said it was my fault and my father was very impressed at the rate increase in the next months bill.

I later worked at this service station. It was the staging point for many foolishly amusing adventures in my youth.

16. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I burned off two brand new tires one night. The female part of the species was not impressed and I went home alone that night. turns out, that $400 would have gone further in the form of jewelry.

17. Indian Larry did.

18. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

haha, not a car.. but my dad had this John Deere AR, big 50's wheat land tractor...

anyways me and a friend were out screwin around with the tractor.. and I decided to show him how you could steer with the brakes (individual pedals)... so I cranked the wheel to left, stabbed the throttle in and hit the left pedal.. she spins around, heard a crashing sound, but she kept goin... my buddy looked down and noticed i had taken out the neighbors mail box.. post made out of a piece of big rail road iron mounted in concrete.. but I don't think the tractor seemed to care a bit.... no damage, just propped the box back up, and chugged back home..

tractor looked like this
    http://www.tractorclocks.com/jdimages/323-7 JOHN DEERE AR_13.JPG

19. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

D'oh! Thats harsh!:eek:

20. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

[​IMG][​IMG]I done this in my 26 tudor does this count.

21. Racewriter

Racewriter

In high school, I had a '68 Chevelle painted pearl white. Stock 307/glide/pegleg combo. Used to be the thing that, coming out of the school parking lot, everybody would light them up (pegleg burnouts). I'd done it a hundred times. This time, the rear end went too far around and I ended up going down through a ditch next to the road and up onto the practice football field. Scared the shit out of some of the school's 'finest' athletes. Drove down the practice field with all my friends driving by on the road, pointing and laughing, until I found a turnout that got me back on the road. Somebody snapped a pic and it ended up in the yearbook.

22. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The things a "buddy" will talk you in to. Driving home from a basketball game when I was a junior, 64 Olds 88, buddy riding shotgun, another in the back seat with Carla, a girl of less than stellar repute that my parents never wanted me to be around. Back seat buddy says "hey, let's check out party bridge", which is a popular summertime meeting place. Basketball season, remember? Winter. South Dakota. Party bridge is on a narrow 1 lane dirt road, and hasn't seen a vehicle for 2 months. We head down the road, probably 200 yards ahead is a HUGE snowdrift. I stop, and start backing up to the highway to turn around and go home. "Shotgun buddy" says "you can get through that, just hit it fast". Me "No". Shotgun buddy "Sure you can". Me "No, I can't". Carla "You got no balls". So I point the big Oldsmobile at the drift, the 394 roars, snow tires dig in, and we probably hit the drift at 40 MPH.

Well, the drift has been there for a few weeks, it's hard snow. The Olds plows for a short distance, then rises up on the drift and comes to an abrupt halt. No way we're going anywhere. The doors don't open because the snow has them pinned shut. "Buddies" and Carla are having a yuck, I'm trying to sort out all the consequences of this idiotic response to the challenge that was made less than 30 seconds ago. I crawled out through the window, look back in and say "you coming?" Back seat buddy says "I might be!" referring to the possibility of a Carla-related activity. Shotgun buddy crawls out the window, and we walk to the highway to hitch a ride to my place. Back seat buddy and Carla stay in the back seat. We caught a ride to town, and shotgun buddy abandoned me. I talked a friend into giving me a ride home, hoping that no one is there so I can get the tractor, pull the Olds off the drift, and get everything back in it's place unnoticed. Not so lucky. Dad sees me jump out of a friends car, and asks "Car trouble"? "Yep, I'm just gonna get the tractor and pull it home, it's not too far away". "I'll go along" dad says. "You'll need somebody to steer the car". (Jeez, I'm such an idiot) So dad and I run the tractor over to party bridge road, he sees the car off in the distance on top of the snowbank and says "what the hell were you thinking"? We get closer and he sees one head in the car. We got closer, and I assume Carla heard the tractor because there were suddenly two heads visible. We pulled the Olds off the snow, fired it up, I hauled back seat buddy and Carla to town, dad headed home with the tractor. There were fireworks when I got home, and the worst of it was that my folks weren't so pissed about the stupid snow trick as they were about me having that brazen slut in the car.

One of many stories, maybe I'll write an autobiography one of these days.....

23. What, me be stupid? I'm pleading the 5th.

24. godspeedbear

godspeedbear
    from golden

1 am.. in college.. Had d 50 chevy.. 403, 57 4.10 rear end.. don't really know the town, but I'm on main street. The streets are clear and noone around, I let 'em eat..BIGTIME until the smoke fills the car... Happens that light was right in front of the police station... Ya I got a ticket and court date..

25. whistlebritches

whistlebritches
    from texas

yep....was showin off my motor on the race car....so i leaned over the engine bay, rested my hand on the MSD super electofire coil...my son hit the start button and somehow a really jolting spark arched from the quarterpanel to my ZIPPER.....shocked my periwinkle...real bad too, thought it'd busted it open like a weenie in a microwave.....AND, musta been 20 people standing there when it happened

26. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

Let me guess... everyone calls you Hotdog now?

27. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

These certainly are entertaining. But, unfortunately now I think I'll have to pass on the sausages for breakfast this morning.

28. dirty4

dirty4

I had just bought a really sweet 1961 Bel-Aire Bubble top with a factory 348...My brother wanted to go for a ride so I say get in...he says will it leave tracks...I rev it up and slam it in low and trictyed the drive shaft in to two pieces and ripped the u-joint bolts out of the rearend. so much for showing off.

29. While in College, in the 70s, I owned an old Yamaha 250 Enduro. (yes I wishi I still had it). I was quite the trick rider and could ride a wheelie for quite some distance, normally. I pull up to a car load of chicks at a stop light and decide to baffle them with my manly skills. The light turns green, I pop the clutch and the Yamaha stands up. Unfortunatly, a bid too much. The bitch is trying to come all the way back on me. Here I am trying to work the throttle, while my arms are fully stretched out, my belly is on the seat, and my feet touching the pavement every so often, just to keep from going down.

I finally get control of the bitch and stopped at the next light. The car with the chicks had disappeared. I always hoped thay had made a turn and missed the show, but I'll never really know. An old man in an old truck pulled up beside me with a grin on his face and a head shake that I will never forget. As the light turned green, I eased away on my bike promising myself that I wouldn't do that crap again. It took about a week to break that promise.

30. 94hoghead

94hoghead

times 2!