Register now to get rid of these ads!

Belly Tank Build Update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sailingadventure, Jan 30, 2011.

1. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

DSC02559.JPG DSC02555.jpg DSC02553.JPG 014.jpg 007 - Copy.JPG For those of you who have been watching the build on my website, I`ve just added a new page. I`m getting close to the end, but there`s still a lot of work left to do.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    ratrodrodder and Stogy like this.
  2. LVSALT

LVSALT

Nice build, I only wish you would have made it legal to run on the salt.

3. hvychvy

hvychvy

Sweet!! Why can't it run on the salt? I know nothing about that stuff.

4. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

5. LVSALT

LVSALT

6. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

I`m working on the roll cage, just haven`t finished it yet.

7. Nice! What is your brake remote reservoir from?
    Thanks

8. seatex

seatex

Very, VERY nice. Nice fab work, and the dash looks killer!

9. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

The brake and clutch resevoir came from Speedway Motors.

10. Cool project!

11. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

oh my i've fallen in love

12. Awefull lotta work for a display model?

13. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Bring it to Maxton.

14. Can you tell us if you will try and run this thing or if is just a fabrication exercise? IE Display model

15. firingorder1

firingorder1

Are you going to make a legal cage? Its a beautiful tank. It would be a shame NOT to see it run on the salt.

16. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

SaltyTanks2.jpg OK guys, when I started to build this car, It was going to be a re-creation of a car that would have been built in the `50s or early `60s. As time went on,I`ve been working on this since 1994, I realised that the car could actually be run on an ECTA track if I complied with the rules. This ment quite a few mods to the car, but I figured I would see if I could make it work. I`m not going to take this car to Bonneville, but I will take it to Maxton this spring if it`s ready in time. The reason the roll bar isn`t in place is that I`m making it to fit under the headrest and to allow the engine to be removed and clear the body. The "old Crow" car has a similar roll bar set up. Some tank cars have such a tall roll cage that it defeats the whole reason for using the tank for a body in the first place and just kills the aerodynamics of the car. If I make it to Maxton , I`m just planning to have the tech guys tell me what`s needed to make it legal to run. If it passes I`ll run it.
    The only reason we all build cars is because we enjoy what we`re doing and I`ve enjoyed building this car. If it gets to run then I`ll run it. If it doesn`t, well then I`ve had fun building it and that`s ok with me.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    s.e.charles and ratrodrodder like this.
  17. 55chevr

55chevr

the required safety equipment for a belly tank including the cage is in the thousands of dollars ... If you run it at a speed restriction of 135 mph you should avoid the necessity of a lot of the equipment ... Maxton as a land speed venue only has a commitment for the facility for 2011 ... Better get it finished this year as it is not looking good for 2012.

18. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

I just read that on the Landracing website this morning, and I`m aware of the rules. Thanks for your comment.

19. Tuff '30

Tuff '30

I just wanted to say your work is inspiring. I love it. Good Luck and I hope everything works out for you. It is awesome.

20. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Thanks!

21. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Beautiful work!

22. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

I too think your work is incredible! The only way to truly know is to buy the SCTA rules book for $18. If you can do most of the work yourself (which is evident), it won't cost as much as some would have you believe. There are rules that you must follow that do add up quickly $$$ though. There are major factors like metal tubing wall thickness that may inhibit you. Study the book until you have it memorized. The great thing is on the east coast more and more places like defunct Air force bases like in Maine are opening up for landspeed trials every year. I'm building a tank myself and have been to Bonneville a number of times. Joe

23. Very nice work......
    I noticed a sticker on the right front tire and one inner tread row was worn out like the right rear? Are they used tires, I missed the rest of the build.
    SOOOO, your next project will be recreating Frank Lockhart's LSR car, Blackhawk????

24. thisbugger

thisbugger

25. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

The tires are Firestone Indy tires. The tread design was used in the early `60s for about a year. They then changed to a smooth design. The tires are new reproductions. To see the rest of the build go to my website http://mccainautomotive.com

26. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Thanks for the information, Joe, but I`m a member of both the S.C.T.A. and the E.C.T.A. The car has also been assigned a car number, (9744), by the E.C.T.A.

27. It looks like 200mph just sitting still! Nice build...

28. Yep, I talked to a buddy that ran Indy cars in 1959 and he said one tread was missing on the outside as most ran negative camber and this area did not wear...slicks the next year. Are the reproductions rated to run over 200 MPH?

29. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Nice work dude, that tank is too f'n cool!

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My response when I opened up this thread was exactly this:

"OH! Hell yes! Look at THIS f**kin' thing!" HAHA! It was like a total knee-jerk reaction!

Man, great build! Love it!