Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early ford 3 speed trans to sbf 289

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BanjoBoy, Jan 26, 2011.

1. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy

Does anyone run this combo? If so, anyone running this combo on any trucks that tow?
    What good or bad opinions?
    Im interested

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

How early and what is it from? I ran a 3 spd + OD that came out of a 289 powered mid 60's Galaxie for a number of years behind the 351W in my '51 F-1. It was a decent trans, with a big spread between the gears. I found it's breaking point with a bit too much application of the load pedal. I never towed with it though. If you have the early 289 with the 5-bolt bellhousing, I have got the bellhousing for you (cheap, it really needs to go).

There are some fairly weak 3 spds out there from the '50's, so a bit more info on exactly what you want to use would be helpfull.

Good Luck

3. smokey3550

smokey3550
    from texas

The p/u 3 speeds were toploaders, almost indestructible. I ran one for years behind a 406 fe tripower motor. I tried my hardest to tear it up to no avail.

4. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy

running an Early ford 3 speed (39 style)

5. bones35

bones35

60's top loader 3's great trannys! tough as hell. full syncro and the credics spelled wrong will say not all of them but.