Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1939 Ford Standard Coupe!!! My first time ever working with metal!! Help:/

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by romie, Jan 31, 2011.

1. romie

romie

My project 39 coupe has kicked off. I am now, today, as I'm texting with one hand and hammer in the other starting to mold this tin! Ok so I have started to attempt to work metal. I have read a little here and there but I think that I just need to get to work. I have decided to start with the rear fenders, mistake or not, Any true helpful tips will be absorbed and used.
    Step 1.
    I'm starting to sand them down with 80 grid and boy do they look better than they feel!! [​IMG][​IMG] I will continue work until I 8pm so let me get back to work.

2. gaskell

gaskell
    from CO

Romie if the goal is bare metal I have found it safest to chemical strip. Sanding off old paint on distressed vintage metal can cause more damage and create more work in the long run. Once stripped, Just take your time and work the metal slowly you'll be fine.

3. romie

romie

Well you r probably right and at this point I'm screwed my DA sander just broke on me, oh chet!!! Well I'll just have to turn to the stripper to help me out then hehe!! [​IMG]

4. Hello Sears? yeah, I was just doing some light sanding and it just fell apart in my hands.

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

An often quoted book of reference is "the Key to METAL BUMPING" BY FRANK T. SARGENT first printed in the thirties, and still available to date on Amazon.com!
    Get, and read this book from cover to cover, and it will answer many of the questions you'll have on body & fender repair. Over the last fourty years I've seen and read many books on auto body & fender repair, but this one pretty much covers it all in 126 pages.
    I wouldn't suggest you start beating on your fenders until you've some understanding of metal work, and the study will reward you many times over.

Good luck, and welcome to the craft-

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "