Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roadster stolen at Pomona

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by barebones32, Jan 30, 2011.

1. chopsui

chopsui

I will keep a look out over here on the westside. I am extremly sorry for your loss, and hope someone finds it soon. I know alot of people in the past have found cars because the idiot theives try to sell some of the parts, and being that most people know each other in our hobby it might be good to keep an eye out for any of your parts on ebay, craigslist. ect.

(If I find the car I will make sure to knee cap the guy for you, and send you pictures in the process.) :>)

2. ray@cruisinstyle.com

[email protected]
    from florida

3. NoelNYC

NoelNYC

Incredible!, I just got back from the GNRS, and cannot begin to explain how this is completely WRONG!!...
    Will keep eyes open in Albuquerque.

4. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Yup. See the thread linked below for more info on this idea.

Fighting back against car thiefs

5. hhrTroy

hhrTroy
    from Burbank

SORRY....
    I've been through this... makes my stomach hurt.

6. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

I hope it was insured.
    This has happened several times from that parking area the past several years.

7. big creep

big creep

ive been saying that for a while now. maybe someone here know a lojack insider, maybe we can get them to become an alliance vendor?? who knows?

8. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

I'll keep my eyes open, hope you get it back... been there and sucks..

9. This crap seems to happen every year at the GNRS and LARS. I was there and saw your roadster on Saturday remember it very well, its a very nice and distinctive car that wouldn't be hard to spot if it stays all together. I hope we can see a happy ending to this story for once. I'll be looking for it and telling everyone I know about it. It never hurts to run locking cables through the wheels and to your buddy's car or to a tree. Anything to slow the bastards down or deter them. Maybe the hotel should consider a special parking area with full-time 24 hour security with ID required to enter or leave. An extra few bucks per day on your hotel bill would be gladly paid by those who want to park there.

10. sololobo

sololobo

Any tracking devices on the trailer or the car? I know we all think it won't happen to us. But as I say every time this happens, it will get worse before it gets better. You kids with the big buck rides might consider the cell phone plant talked about a few weeks ago here. This roadster and the trailer are easily around 50/60 grand. Is a 20.00 cell phone and a extra 10/20 bucks a month to expensive? I am putting one in my 5 grand car, I can't even afford to lose it. I so hope this is found and feel terrible for all involved. The rest of us, secure those puppies! ~sololobo~

11. Check out LOJACK. The new system was selling for about $300 installed this month. Cheaper then a cell phone thing. Even the auto arming one is about $1000. No monthly charges no other fees. A fellow club member was towing his car on a trailer with his keys in his pocket and lojack called him to say the car was on the move without the key in the ignition. He added Lojack after his other car was stolen out of the parking lot when he was at a store.

12. Ted Saraf, Member of the Road Kings in Burbank, LOJACK regional rep. 310-505-9817 or [email protected]

13. thats some fucked up shit...keep my eyes open...

14. Lucky3

Lucky3

Not trying to rain on your parade but LoJack does not cover everywhere. Just larger metro areas and it is listed on their web page. Small rural towns and rural areas in general are not in the LoJack tracking areas.

15. fcarnut

fcarnut

Have it on my list to two states and Australia! Get 'em!!!!

16. big creep

big creep

yea, but looks like most are stolen from big metro areas, so chances are if you get right on it, you have a chance of getting it back! kinda glad i dont live in a small town. but living in a small town im sure you dont have to worry about someone stealing your ride.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  17. shock733

shock733
    from Florida

LoJack jammers are less then $200. gps/cell jammers $200. We need a better solution to STOP these skumbags from grabbing our vintage tin. Hope you get that sweet rod back!

18. daddio211

daddio211

How about some hot AC voltage to the door handles, shifter, steering wheel? A cheap power inverter doesn't have a lot of amperage but could sure surprise an unsuspecting thief!

19. barebones32

barebones32

Folks, the outpouring of good wishes and advice on the H.A.M.B. is simply incredible !!! You guys are great. I've received tons of posts, as you can see, but also phone calls and emails from great people from (literally) all over the world. I haven't gotten that one call from Pomona PD yet saying to come pick up my car, and that the arraignment of the alleged perps is Thursday in Superior Court on Mission Avenue in Pomona. I'm very confident that I'll get that call soon.
    If there's one lesson for all of us to learn from this experience, it's: we have to be responsible for our own stuff. We can't depend on security cameras (the Sheraton doesn't have them, nor do many others), security patrols (the Sheraton crew could be a lot more aggressive, most others don't have them), or on anyone else. Many of you know that I'm a freak for road trips. I've accumulated 62,000 miles in my roadster in 9 years. Many of the places that I've passed through are remote, to say the least. If a motel has coffee, that's saying a lot - forget about security! Bottom Line: It's MY car, I need to take steps to ensure its security. Will my solution be a GPS locator system of some sort? Likely. Will it have a fuel shutoff? Likely. Will it have a battery disconnect? Likely. Will it engage the brakes so the tires and wheels won't roll? Also likely. Will it include live rattlesnakes? Not likely. But, whatever the system, most anything can be defeated by persistent, knowledgeable, crafty folks. If something helps deter the theft long enough to make it unattractive, that's great. If they boost it in spite of all the hindrances, then I'd like something to pinpoint its location to aid in its recovery.
    Once again, thanks to all of you for all of your kind thoughts.

Chick Koszis

20. barebones32

barebones32

My car was not in a trailer. It was parked naked. The only time this car sees a trailer is when it's hard broke or being stolen.

21. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I wish you the best of luck in finding your ride,this shit sucks.

22. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I certainly hope this story has a happy ending for barebones32 and his roadster. Hopefully the phone call from the police will come very soon.

Theft and damage to other peoples property just do not seem to be of much concern to the court system these days.:mad:

23. This thing sure does occur a lot anymore. Two cars were stolen from storage in Derby, KS. Short of sitting in the car with a shotgun or two, what can one really do about it ?
    Sure is a conundrum. These thieves are really getting brazen, and look what it does for our insurance rates. Wouldn't you just love to pinch their heads off ?
    firstnomad

24. Fleetside

Fleetside

I'm watching...that sucks

25. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

Checking in with hopes to have seen a happy ending, Dang it!, not yet. I'm banking the next check in has happy posts here. SOB's they are! :mad:

26. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

dude I want to fucken cry. I'll keep an eye out Homie

27. erlomd

erlomd

Im so sorry to hear, I hope you get the good news from the police dept soon...I was at the show and I was actually taking lots of pictures of your car, I love the wanlass windshield and the little skeletons on the headlights, also all the wear and tear of the paint and interior...I love it! makes it seem like it was definitely a driver! and I really hope you find it soon.

28. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy

Eyes wide open hear in santa clarita, ca

29. erlomd

erlomd

2 pics I took this weekend...cant seem to find the other ones

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From GNRS 2011</td></tr></table>

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From GNRS 2011</td></tr></table>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  30. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Sad - nothing is sacred any more. I was admiring your car when I arrived at the Sheraton on Friday. Wish you luck in recovering it in one piece.