Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lower shock mounts...keyway..?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowongas, Sep 18, 2010.

1. lowongas

lowongas

Ok..I had a little credit left over from Spedway so I ordered a set of lower shock mounts.Now in there catalog it states the mounts have a " key way so they dont move around."They arrived the other day so I got curious and called and asked what was the key way there for..? Should I "pound" a key way in there to stop them from moving..?The tech guy didnt have an answer...ok..so what do I do..? If a key way goes into it I know its gping to destroy the threads on the perch bolts,isnt it..?What do I do..?

2. You need perch bolts with a keyway cut in them, or have a keyway cut in yours if they don't have the keyway.

3. lowongas

lowongas

Checked with several sites,there have never heard of perch bolts with a keyway cut out of them.I dont have a clue where to have the cut for a keyway.

4. Anyone with a mill or lathe can do em for you.

5. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Basically what I have to do ,I might weld mine when car is done

6. i'm sure that they were made at some time because i had a set of perches with a keyway in them. i can't recall were i got them

7. So cal speed shop makes them with a keyway.

Duane at Kiwi Connection has them on the shelf

8. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

How are you going to cut a keyway on a lathe? Versa mill attachment is the only way to do it on a lathe and how many people have one of those?

9. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

As a machinist, I was gonna ask the same thing. I suppose you could drag the carriage back and forth until you scraped out a keyseat, but I think any local machine shop could do it faster!

10. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

Yeah,I guess you could crank the cross feed a couple thou at a time but I don't have THAT much patients.:eek:

11. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Just tighten the freakin' nut down. If those mounts are able to walk around on there, that perch is not tight enough.

12. I agree. Though I cut mine with a cutoff wheel and file.