Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DIY valve seat cutting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pishta, Jan 30, 2011.

1. pishta

pishta
    from Tustin, CA

Thought about this and came up with a bench made tool.
    Take an old car exhaust valve, cut a slit in it about 1/4 inch deep. Go to your favorite machine supply shop, or Harbor Freight (save the jeers for later) and get 3 of these carbide cutter inserts 3 for 9 bucks.[​IMG]
    put into slit and make parallel to valve face about 1mm above face, tack weld or solder into place. [​IMG] Lower it into your guide and chuck a variable speed cordless drill on the valve stem. [​IMG]Slowly turn in cutting direction while putting finger on valve cup to vary pressure. Use cutting oil and keep checking progress. Hey, it works! [​IMG]
    Make 2 more at 30 and 60 (or if your really good with this stuff, put the other 2 angles in the same valve) and do your own 3 angle, just watch your seat width. Check with good valve and prussian blue for contact area. What have you got to lose, 9 bucks?

2. bolt_boy_49

bolt_boy_49
    from USA

Hey now! That is simple, I like it.

3. F&J

F&J

It looks like a bit of chatter marks on that seat? What if you added 2 dummy "bits" 120 degrees apart from the actual cutting edge? ...or does the lapping compound take the chatter marks off easily?

4. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Hey man, if that works OK, I love it!

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That could work if you got the cutters at just the right angle but I'd worry about doing ^^ore da^^age than good with that setup. I worry enough about using ^^y buddy's old valve grinder that is pretty well worn as far as getting accurate valve seats.