Register now to get rid of these ads!

How's everyones winter projects going?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46binder, Jan 29, 2011.

1. little skeet

little skeet
    from huston

Not working on any project...spending time in Arizona where it is warm!!
    Then back to Colorado in the Spring to work on the 60's front engine dragster.
    Hope to get it done and running this year.

"Wasn't anybody there except me and Little skeet."

2. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

Finished the new return springs in the door latches and door panels this week for the '41. Swapped places in the shop so I could open the door far enough to pull the seat out of the coupe and start the re-upholstery. I've also been metal working the rear fenders of the '29. Even with a propane heater, I work 'til my fingers get cold and my nose starts to drip, then build a big fire and stand up close!

3. Getting the floors finished up this week.

Attached Files:

4. bgaro

bgaro

hard charging on the coupe. spring is coming soon and my motor is still sitting on the floor (oh no). it was 20 below here last week and the heater could barley keep up, but still working. gotta finish dash, rebuild steering box, finish fire wall reinstall motor and wire before april.the only thing slowing progress is my wife's displeasure bout spending to much time outback. finished a bunch but still got alot to go. stay motivated boys spring acomin.

5. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Both my projects (50 & 51 MerKs) are making progress. UnionVilleHaunt is busy chopping the top on the 51. I am busy finishing the custom chassis that SlddnMatt built for the 51.

The 50 MerK is slower. Installing the inner/outer rockers and front/rear floors is more difficult that planned. I almost have the driver's side inner rocker finished.

Here are some pix of the 51 chop and the chassis, which is a roller now.

Attached Files:

6. thegrobe

thegrobe

Slooowly..... my daughter gets first priority. I have been getting up real early and freezing my butt in the garage for an hour or two before she wakes up and the day starts. I'm like a glacier...I move sloooow but am getting some work done a bit at a time.

7. F&J

F&J

Finished the metal roof made from scratch. It will be covered with top material. In white primer to see what color I want.

Started the long haul on body work on the POS body. It was a 5W coupe many moons ago, but I am going with a cabriolet conversion. Got the cowl patch done this week plus started the 3" lower door bottom, but had to quit on the car to do snow removal including one outbuilding roof that was ready to cave in. Lots of older buildings have collapsed around CT.

Might work on the car tomorrow after shoveling off the porch roof...water backing up under the shingles.

Attached Files:

8. Winter's for the little things, like steering column mods and trying to find the right shocks. Come spring, I'll take the '29 AA closed cab down to the frame, paint it and molasses-bathe the block and heads of the 351 Windsor before the build. Last two days spent on the wife's OT German hand grenade. Too much plastic and bad engineering in those things. It now runs like a top, but the toll on my 62-year-old body after 14 hours of work on it is horrible. Buy American, design your hotrod to be easy to work on and durable.

9. dsr_54

dsr_54

Been busy working on my 46 international. Hoping to have it done for this summer.

[​IMG]

10. olds vroom

olds vroom

Ive finnished the floors dynomatted it finnished my console and am in the middle of wiring it. ps. my garage has no heat and its 29 degrees here.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have been a little slow in getting to the garage this winter,I heat with kerosene and two years ago I worked 7 days a week all winter upgrading the suspension and driveline on my 37 chevy p/u and got tired of smelling kerosene. I just got done yanking the 2.79 gears out of the 37 and installed 3.55s and got my 55 sunliner in that garage for a cam change,its going to get the gears from the 37 since they were quiet and a trans tailshaft bushing along with the cam and intake change but I have to put new front sheetmetal on my daily driver/winter beater before I can even think about the 55.

12. After four years we finally got our '32 on the road last June. Not really finished yet but had so much fun driving it around kinda lost interest in working on it! Many more small items to finish and redo. Trying to get some of the things done before this spring. Need a hood top, hook up horn, turn signals, kick panels and maybe work out some of the rattles! Had a warm day so we drove it to Okie City and back - real handful on the highway speeds with those bias tries......

13. 62nova

62nova

I just welded on some shock mounts in the rear. Sparks all down my sleeves so I'm done for the night. The schnapps is calling.

14. das858

das858

I've been getting a little work done on my Bonneville racer, the weather was nice the last couple of days, so I managed to get the engine coolant tank mounted today.

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

You too, huh? I'm mired in the wiring of my Diamond T. (Traditionalists, stop reading now...)

I sent the PCM to a guy in MO, from who's website I got the info on how to convert the 6.0 LS (LQ9, if you want to be picky) wiring harness to a stand alone. That's done, and he's reflashing it to disable the VATS, get rid of some other stuff, and he's sent me the needed info on how to rewire the 4L80 trans harness (which came with the engine) to talk to the 4l60 trans I'm using. Confused? I am!

On the up side, other than that, the wiring is DONE. I have to run the brake lines and bleed them, and I'm getting the body work done on the box, so it'll be ready to prime and paint once the weather warms up. I'd like to have it done this summer, but we'll see.

I lost a month and half in December and half of January stressing about my health, after discovering I have a large ascending aortic anuerysm. Several trips to Ann Arbor to consult with a thoracic surgeon, worry about whether I could keep working, or would I need surgery right away. Turns out we can wait a few years, so I'm back on the track now.

Next week I'm getting the '36 out of the trailer, and will get it ready to go to Cobo for the AutoRama. I'm excited about that, but it will take away from working on the Diamond T. There's not enough winter left!

Brian

16. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

I got quarters on my new yorker into primer a couple weeks ago and my rear doors in primer tonight. tomorrow will be the front doors and hopefully it wont take me too long to tackle the front clip roof and trunk. with any luck ill have it ready to drag to work with me in the spring time to get in the booth. and on to pick up project number 2

17. 52RAM108

52RAM108
    from 76564

still in "research & planning" mode...got started on replacing brakes & shocks on my '02 Ram CTD, then the PS pump on my '03 Regal went out, and the icemaker went out yesterday...but then for sure I'll try to get back to my project wheels before the next emergency pops up.

18. johnod

johnod

Got the Garage insulated and heat hooked up so i can work. Have changed all spring bushing in frame. Got 9" rearend made up and ready to install come spring. On to the front end now.:)

19. johnod

johnod

What is this? Looks like a cross between an early vette and a kiaser?

20. ironpile

ironpile

I have a heated shop attached to the house and still have a hard time with ambition.

21. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Heres what I got done so far. go to my thread
    26-7 T Modified Build ALL FORD - BY FORD
    Not sure how to link this thing up. i aint into techno stuff. I am into building cars

22. been going great guns on the 53 Dodge Truck. steering column shortened, all engine and trans mounts fabricated, brake swing pedals and mounts fabricated, brakes nearly plumbed, headers and exhaust done, sending out the quadrajet to be rebuilt, getting ready to prep the frame for paint. whew....

23. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

AMX project is kinda stalled, have been working on fixing up an old sand blast cabinet so i can blast suspention for paint. getting ready to install 1/2" plywood liner (free!!!!salvaged from old gymnasium ceiling replacement job)on garage ceiling and walls. should help with heating in winter and keep the heat out this summer. laid off from work now so any purchases will have to wait till building picks up this spring. still looking for a pinto or chevette donor car for suspention/drive train swap into the 57 metro. if anyone knows of a good running unit near ill. please pm. me

24. Mine has COB-WEBS !!! >>>>.

25. fbama73

fbama73

The cold weather has slowed me quite a bit, but hasn't stopped me. I can heat the garage to a tolerable level, but it takes a bit of time.

I have accomplished things so far, though. Brakes and suspension are done, and I've been acquiring parts and tools.

Still need to rewire it and check the steering. I want to give it a quick Krylon makeover when the weather breaks and drive it for a month or two before taking it back down for the heavy stuff.

26. mj40's

mj40's

Finished up the frame mock up late fall on my 40 pickup project. Just got the frame back from the powder coaters and ready to bolt all the new fuzzy stuff back on. 40+° out side so no excuses. Now I need to get my 401 Nailhead to the machinist for rebuild.

[​IMG]

27. S Baltera

S Baltera

As always waiting on parts

28. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

just chopped the old exhaust in half for the off topic project, have everything fitted up to the middle of the car, the back half is going to be real fun, ten bends all have to be made by cutting and welding sections of T-304, I must be a glutton for punishment

29. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

yea i know how that goes, im hoping my 50 will be on the road by april sometime. But then again, i tore my 63 impala apart more than 5 yrs ago and still dont have it done haha! Intentions are always good, but i usually get tied up with working 10 or 12 hr days, working on some house project, or helping someone else with their car project! but i gotta bust my balls to get the 50 on the road cause its a daily driver, not a full blown frame up resto or anything. we will see! good luck everyone

30. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky
    from So.Cal

Im rolling along on the wagon...
    Rebuilt the brakes and cylinder, dropped the gas tank thinking it would need a good cleaning but it was like new inside but figured I would go ahead and slap some paint on the undercarriage since everything is out.
    Got rims and tires for it.
    Put the engine in yesterday still a lot to do but a little bit closer.......