Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which states are "bill of sale" and no title?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by michiganman061, Feb 16, 2007.

1. michiganman061

michiganman061
    from Michigan

Just got to thinking and was wondering what states are bill of sale states for old cars and don't use titles....

Thanks
    Kent

2. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

3. not so hotrod

not so hotrod
    from MA

New Hampshire only needs a bill of sales for vehicles 20 years and older i believe.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

No states are selling new cars on bills of sale any more. ALabama and New York were like that until about 1974. I don't the status of both but understand that only new cars from that time forward were issued titles, and cars changing hands are issued titles when the sale is made. SO there are surely 1000s of vehicles in existance in both places, and maybe Georgia too which are still owned by the original folks on Bills of Sale.

5. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Does that mean there are states that never issued titles on cars?, or am I reading this wrong.
    I believe New York state did not issue titles until the early 70's. Might be wrong.

The37Kid likes this.
  6. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

One of the good things about Georgia: no title hassles after 20 years.

7. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

Maine titles only 15 year old and newer. There were no titles prior to 1975. Anything over 15 year old only needs bill of sale as State will not issue a new title.

8. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Lucky guys, we would need a title for the Fred Flintstone mobile from the stone ages, here in Cali.
    But, the "statement of facts" form can help getting around certain bureaucracies.;) ;) ;)

9. NJ = title and a note from the pope.

10. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Illinois is definitely a title state. They want a title for everything. Getting one on a bill of sale is a pain in the arse if you have never been through the process before.

11. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

I bought an old Ford in Conn. a few years ago and it was a bill of sale transcation without a title, but here in Ohio you have to have a title for everything.

12. john56h

john56h

New York began issuing Certificates of Title in 1973. Prior to that, the registration document was the proof of ownership and there was a place to sign the car over to a new owner on the back.

If you register a 1972 or older, they still give you just a "transferrable registration"....no title.

What I would like to know is, how difficult is it to register a pre 1973 car that the registration document has been lost for? I think if you make a pencil tracing of the VIN and apply for a registration, they'll issue it as long as the VIN doesn't come up stolen. Can anyone verify that?

13. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

So, did you get it titled? Knowing how Ohio is, I don't even talk about cars that don't have titles...

14. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

conn.no title after 25 years old.

15. In Alabama, prior to 1974 you didn't get a title with a new car.So if you buy or sell one that is that old then you still won't get a title.I have registered and bought tags for cars with nothing more than a "Bill of Sale" hand written on a torn piece of paper.

16. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

Yeah, I got an out of state inspection at the local Ford dealer, then with that and the bill of sale, I got an Ohio title. I checked with the BMV before I took of on my adventure. It was really quite painless.

17. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Ct.no title after 20 years but they went back and forth for a while from no title over 10 years ,to titles when car changed to new owner then back to the 20 year thing ! to register a car in ct. from a nontitle state you need papers on last registered owner or copy of last registration if under 20 years gets confusing even here .
    Mass was non title for a long time on cars but Always a title for commercial vechiles including pick-up-trucks

18. wvenfield

wvenfield

Bought my 54 in Indiana with a title and needed it back in Wv.

Doesn't answer your question but it rules two states out.

19. Cajun

Cajun

I recently purchased a 1949 Panel Delivery in New Hampshire. DMV told me that any New Hampshire vehicle over 15 years old does not need a title. I had to get a "Report of Transfer" from the registered owner. It is similiar to a "bill of sale."

20. rixrex

rixrex

You send off 120.00 to Int'l Title Service they send you back Alabama paperwork with your VIN number. Alabama is a Bill of Sale state..they will mess with newer cars but it will cost you more..you then take that paperwork to your local DPS/DMV and do an out-of-state title transfer to your state....

21. 41fastback

41fastback

A notarized statement saying that vehicle hasn't been registered
    in many years , the registration is lost, and you own it, would also be required, along with the tracing. I remember doing that for a rod I built. Proof of ownership is a must.

22. steve714

steve714
    from new york

Back in 1973 in new york i had a car that still had a transferble registration.
    they started issuing titles in 1973 but not all cars got titles does anybody remember or am i wrong ?

23. RI - No title for 20 years and older I believe...

24. Oklahoma is a title state, period. A bill of sale is pretty useless here, unless the vehicle is from GA or NH, but it will require proof of current registration from either of those states (and whatever other so-called "no-title" states, as well) before OK will issue a title and registration.

25. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

We only need a bill of sale in Kansas for anything 35 years old or older. Then you can apply for a new title with that.

sunbeam likes this.
  26. 1930roadster

1930roadster

NY 1973 and earlier cars had "transferable registrations" on the back was the transfer info i think name & address, besides that you needed a bill o sale(basically to collect sales tax)... but i dont think you can walk in with a bill o sale only. I remember cursing NYC branch offices cause i had to go in at least 2, 3 times til i please the info gods there back in the 80s.
    I got my Roadster from a guy in AL, bill o sale only.... I'm still stressing about that cause i'm in FL.

27. ems customer service

ems customer service

your correct i would not have bought the car with out a title,

still having fun with

thanks wvenfield

28. Homemade44

Homemade44

In Mississippi you can get a title if you have a title signed over to you or if you have two Bills of Sale. The one from the owner you bought the car from and the one where he bought the car. Mississippi is a title state.

29. I Rhode Island it's 10 years old, no title needed BUT, you must have proof of registration from the seller...............

triumph 1 likes this.